Best/Worst Battleplan Cards

Oath Stoned

Which battleplan cards have the best impact on the game in your opinion? Which have led to the most memorable games/moments? 

Also, are there any cards you remove from deck? The kind of card that can ruin the game before it starts?

It can be deployment, victory, twist, or terrain. Please include a small card descriptions and why you like them. 

I loved the Wind of Fate twist card. Roll 7 initiative dice instead of 6. Just 1 more dice allowed a lot more abilities. Its the kind of twist that makes you rethink your ability combos during the game.

• Like 1

I don't like to look at the cards as best or worse. Warcry is a refreshing change from AoS because you don't choose the battlefield layout and victory conditions, you have a real challenge every game. A good player will take what they get and plan their actions accordingly. 

Admittedly there has been a couple of games that you know you won't win by the end of round 2 or 3 but that's all part of the game for me.

• Like 1

My first game was basically the worst combination I've ever seen.

We played with the starter box set warbands and terrain. I played with the untamed beasts vs the iron golems. The terrain card was 2 big lines of terrain near the board edges and nothign in the middle. The twist was that both player roll a dice and the winner gets a chaotic beast as an extra fighter. The victory condition was that you gain points for each fighter 3" from the ground or higher. 

I deployed my fighters on top of the terrain in my deployment area. My opponent couldn't mathematically win the game since I had 10 fighters (9 from the untamed beasts + a fury) vs 8 for him on top of the building round 1. He'd lose if he didn't leave his terrain since I had more fighters, but if he did he wouldn't score enough points to win.

The game ended quickly and we decided to play another one.

Edited by spenson
  • Like 1

The minus to max range ones always get stormcast players testy. Don't mind em myself but I can imagine why you'd not enjoy pulling em out.

Other than that maybe the minus to movement ones? Some people just dislike having penalties, and while I enjoy the challenge I *don't* enjoy when the other person starts blaming your win/their loss entirely on the twist.

I'd have preffered if the twist was all just bonuses just to get rid of that particular psychological variable. But it's easy enough to cull out the cards and personalise your group's deck.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, spenson said:

My first game was basically the worst combination I've ever seen.

We played with the starter box set warbands and terrain. I played with the untamed beasts vs the iron golems. The terrain card was 2 big lines of terrain near the board edges and nothign in the middle. The twist was that both player roll a dice and the winner gets a chaotic beast as an extra fighter. The victory condition was that you gain points for each fighter 3" from the ground or higher. 

I deployed my fighters on top of the terrain in my deployment area. My opponent couldn't mathematically win the game since I had 10 fighters (9 from the untamed beasts + a fury) vs 8 for him on top of the building round 1. He'd lose if he didn't leave his terrain since I had more fighters, but if he did he wouldn't score enough points to win.

The game ended quickly and we decided to play another one.

Thats sad. Have you played again? I got the battleplan card without terrain cards and it plays great. Ive been teaching my gf so ive picked through the deck quite a bit. Ill slowly add the complexity back.

Depending on warbands, the victory condition the messager can be really lame. One of my buddy's was playing idoneth and just gave it to an eel and won turn 1.  and then I got to play it as LON and it was just ' randomly guess which of these seven skeletons has the message before they reach the board edge.' And as my opponent was iron jawz he could realistically on catch maybe one skelly. He lost .

• Haha 1

Had a pretty silly game last night where my opponent got to declare one of his models to secretly carry a message. Then, because of deployment, he was able to drop that model 3" from the edge of the board on turn 2, then immediately win the game.  We looked at all the options and there was no way he couldn't have won, either he dropped the model within 1" of the board edge, winning the game, or dropped it one move action away, winning the game. 

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the twist cards that reduce range, 3/6 games I've played have had that included. I know it's probably hard to come up with that many unique twists but it does feel like a lot of them are really similar. 

@Euphanism Were you playing the messenger? Because if so I think you may have just played it wrong, either that or we have.

You draw victory conditions after you’ve drawn deployments and for cards were you select a fighter like this we require the selected fighter must be on the battlefield when selected (same as in steal the prize victory condition except that card is during turn two rather than at the start of the game). With that the only way the mission would be an auto win is if you selected a board edge close to his deployment zone. 

Any combination of cards requires a little bit of cooperation between players. If the victory condition seems impossible for one side due to terrain or deployment just agree to exchange one of the three cards to allow a better game. Having absolutely no chance of winning isn’t very fun, but neither is having absolutely no chance of loosing (well, for most players anyway).

I think the main problems with the cards are the random nature of how they can combine. I pulled the stand on terrain objective, but each side only had a small piece in each corner that was tall enough, which would create a stalemate. Pull a different terrain card where there was one big piece in the middle and that objective would suddenly become really interesting. I like the way drawing each card makes for a totally different game, but there are quite a few combos that just don't work even if you're only using the 'balanced' cards. I wonder if someone will come up with a recommended combo list or something similar. 

3 hours ago, Oath Stoned said:

Thats sad. Have you played again? I got the battleplan card without terrain cards and it plays great. Ive been teaching my gf so ive picked through the deck quite a bit. Ill slowly add the complexity back.

I meant that we picked new cards to play again. I really like warcry.

Though now I usually use the matched play battleplans even if we sometimes use the cards for fun.

1 hour ago, Grimrock said:

I think the main problems with the cards are the random nature of how they can combine. I pulled the stand on terrain objective, but each side only had a small piece in each corner that was tall enough, which would create a stalemate. Pull a different terrain card where there was one big piece in the middle and that objective would suddenly become really interesting. I like the way drawing each card makes for a totally different game, but there are quite a few combos that just don't work even if you're only using the 'balanced' cards. I wonder if someone will come up with a recommended combo list or something similar. 

The matched play battleplans are good if you don't want totally random games. 

Edited by spenson

1 hour ago, spenson said:

The matched play battleplans are good if you don't want totally random games.

Better for sure but the combos can still be weird. I've been using the matched play ones exclusively and I've had to redraw out of a few auto loss games already.

20 hours ago, Lior'Lec said:

@Euphanism Were you playing the messenger? Because if so I think you may have just played it wrong, either that or we have.

You draw victory conditions after you’ve drawn deployments and for cards were you select a fighter like this we require the selected fighter must be on the battlefield when selected (same as in steal the prize victory condition except that card is during turn two rather than at the start of the game). With that the only way the mission would be an auto win is if you selected a board edge close to his deployment zone. 

Any combination of cards requires a little bit of cooperation between players. If the victory condition seems impossible for one side due to terrain or deployment just agree to exchange one of the three cards to allow a better game. Having absolutely no chance of winning isn’t very fun, but neither is having absolutely no chance of loosing (well, for most players anyway).

Its totally possible the we played it wrong, it was our third game so definitely still learning. If I remember though, after he selected his hidden messager I had to pick two board edges that he could escape from. Unfortunately the deployment has him coming in on both long edges at the corners-is, so if I picked them he automatically won, and if I picked the short edges he basically had to move the messenger twice to win. I don't remember the card saying the messenger had to be on the field, but if so then yeah, we messed that up. 

I don’t think the messenger requires it, but it was how we played it/house ruled it after playing steal the prize (it just made more sense to us that way). But in the situation you described my last paragraph comes into play. The way we see it we both want to play so a game that’s an auto-win for either side quickly gets a card replaced. 

4 hours ago, Euphanism said:

Unfortunately the deployment has him coming in on both long edges at the corners-is, so if I picked them he automatically won, and if I picked the short edges he basically had to move the messenger twice to win.

Same here today. He picked his messenger, one dude right in the centre, I tried to trick him and choose the edges opposed to my starting side, since I played fec with 3 flyers...

barly caught him, but wasn’t able to one-shot him, so he stumbled off. Not really a way to prevent that, maybe in hindsight, but whatever

I don’t even want to know how my flayers would have performed as 30hp 10“ flying messengers