Non Starter Set purchase guide

Inquisitorsz

Hi everyone. 
I noticed that the Sigmar Stormvault terrain box for warcry also has a game board, cards and some token. 

Does anyone know if you get the full Warcry experience by buying the terrain box and the core rule book?

For someone who doesn't like the 2 starter warbands, or the core set terrain, I'm wondering what my options are. 
If I buy the terrain box/rulebook/corvus warband it ends up being more expensive than the starter set unfortunately, but ends up significantly cheaper if you want to use some existing non-chaos warband or if you can share a rule book with a friend. 

I'm just not sure what I might be missing from the core set if I only get terrain boxes and other warbands.  

The getting a Ravaged Lands box, Core Rule book, and Warband of choice leaves you only missing the tokens and battleplan cards used for quickly setting up the game. The starter set includes four decks: terrain, deployment, victory, and twist. A battleplan card deck is available on the web store which includes three of the four decks; the terrain cards are omitted from that set since each Ravaged Lands box includes a terrain deck specifically for that set. Tokens are handy, but ultimately not mandatory.

Just now, robinlvalentine said:

I'm not 100% sure if this is true or not, but I've seen people saying online that some portion of the terrain set up cards you get in each of the Ravaged Lands sets require you to have both that set *and* the starter set terrain so you can mix them together. 

That's the kind of info I was after..... 

2 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

now the question is, how much does this all cost compared to the starter 

In silly Australian dollars, buying either Ravaged Lands Box ($150), rulebook ($70), a warband ($84) and battleplan cards ($34) brings the total up to $338 which is significantly more than the $280 starter set. 
If you want to just use some non-chaos models that you have instead the price comes down to $220 or $254 AUD which is cheaper than the starter set. 

That's why I'm trying to figure out how badly you need the battleplan cards and other starter box contents. 
Can always share a rulebook with a friend which brings the cost down too. 

Mainly I just don't like the 2 starter warbands and the starter terrain (although the furies are cool), and I want the shattered stormvault for AoS terrain. 

Basically if you want to use the terrain cards and the campaign maps presented in the rule book then you need the core set terrain and the cards that go with it. However its important to remember that all the pre-designed maps and terrain setups are purely there for your own convenience and to present challenges and speed up the setup of the game. You can play Warcry without ANY GW terrain if you want. Just setup terrain with your opponent and play away. 

However if you want to do it officially then you do need the core set. Remember there will be quite a few still on ebay in most regions so you can always pick up the terrain and  cards there if you want; spreading out the cost if you share a rulebook with a friend. 

12 hours ago, robinlvalentine said:

I'm not 100% sure if this is true or not, but I've seen people saying online that some portion of the terrain set up cards you get in each of the Ravaged Lands sets require you to have both that set *and* the starter set terrain so you can mix them together. 

I can´t believe this! From the australian shop site:

"The set also includes a double-sided Warcry token sheet for keeping track of your fighters, plus 36 terrain cards – combine these with battleplan cards to set up your games."

It´s 36 terrain cards, as much as in the core set. THerefore I doubt that you need anymore terrain cards. What you "need" is that card set with victory conditions, set ups and twists, but many of them can be found in the core rulebook. I don´t know wether the cards printed on the last pages of the core rulebook are the copies of the cards set or not, but you literally just need the core rule book to have some games in.

I don´t know why you "need" that terrain cards at all. You can still create your own battle field, it will just be as "balanced" as a randomly determined card out of the card set. There is just no need in my opinion.

One thing though: I think that you should have terrain with different levels, someting to climb on/off and some line of sight blocking just to get the most out of the movement rules.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2019 at 12:24 AM, robinlvalentine said:

I can confirm that 12 of the 36 battleplan cards in the Shattered Stormvault set include terrain from the starter set as well, but that still leaves 24 battleplans you can play straight out of the box.

• Like 1