The Rumour Thread

1 minute ago, Ejecutor said:

I literally thought about it when a few posts ago there was a chat about how poor the AoS map is defined. How are you going to create an AoS TWW without that? I thought it would be impossible or very limited.

Just use the maps we have. The first game could start on The Great Parch, build it out and slowly add factions. Before releasing further instalments that open up the other realms.  Stay focused on the maps we currently have. Have natural barriers and design the maps so they have "edges", but with an understanding that the world continues past those points. 

1 minute ago, DinoJon said:

I do hope for more games in the AoS setting. I think an adventure/3rd person action game similar to Space Marine would work well for the world. 

something dark souls/elden ring esque please, either that or TRPG like fire emblem

• Like 2

I mean they could just invent their own continent in one of the Mortal Realms and build it up with its own setting.

but I don’t think CA  is going to to do an AoS game or just not in the near future at this point in time.

i don’t even thing AoS IP is strong enough for developer to want to make a game currently. (GW is not really helping in this matter either)

• Like 1

Just now, novakai said:

I mean they could just invent their own continent in one of the Mortal Realms and build it up with its own setting.

but I don’t think CA  is going to to do an AoS game or just not in the near future at this point in time.

i don’t even thing AoS IP is strong enough for developer to want to make a game currently. (GW is not really helping in this matter either)

The IP is definitely strong enough, but I doubt we'll see a TW:AOS game anytime soon, a lot of the TW:W fanbase would not be interested in AOS I don't think, especially not over 40k

7 minutes ago, novakai said:

I don’t think they want to do an AoS game. They seem disinterested in it.

and Rumors from some TW peeps suggest it’s going to be 40K TW game next. They going to develop a new engine to make it work.

Yeah. Total War: AoS seems unlikely, for the untrained eye there is little difference between Warhammer and AoS. Lots of simular units and etc.. .

I am very curious how a 40K adaption would look like. If they make it work, it will be a huge hit. 

Posted (edited)

After the open-ended, sandboxy nature of both 40K and the Mortal Realms, I've actually enjoyed returning to the tighter scaffolding of The Old World. But I don't think there's any one right way of doing it. Sometimes constraints breed creativity, other times you just want enable godmode and go nuts!

As for the promotional image... Is this what Clan Moulder has been working on? Hulk Hogan Pit Abomination?

It's interesting how low-tech and grounded the Rat Ogors (and Jezzails) look, compared to Stormfiends and Thanquol. I kind of worry that the End Times Skaven stuff will end up looking too cartoony when placed next to the new stuff.

Edited by Magnusaur
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Luperci said:

The IP is definitely strong enough, but I doubt we'll see a TW:AOS game anytime soon, a lot of the TW:W fanbase would not be interested in AOS I don't think, especially not over 40k

I mean nothing suggests that the IP is strong currently.

why would any developer want to buy the AoS license currently over 40K, mediocre games like Stormground and realms of ruin implies that you can’t ride off the brand name.  Any developer worth their salt can create their own IP and be more successful at releasing their games 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luperci said:

TWW has sold millions upon millions of copies. Whilst I agree that 40k and a sci-fi setting would be a great new project for CA I can also see them wanting to keep all options open when it comes to exploring GW various IP's. 

• Like 1

Just now, novakai said:

I mean nothing suggests that the IP is strong currently.

Sorry, what? It is the Flagship Fantasy IP of the second biggest miniatures game in the world. The Flagship Fantasy IP of Games Workshop!! A Multi-BILLION pound market cap company that is one of (for a while was the) best-performing stock on the entire London Stock exchange! Of course, it is a strong IP! The game and setting generate millions of pounds a month in revenue. There is literally only a few dozen IP's on the planet at this level. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hollow said:

Sorry, what? It is the Flagship Fantasy IP of the second biggest miniatures game in the world. The Flagship Fantasy IP of Games Workshop!! A Multi-BILLION pound market cap company that is one of (for a while was the) best-performing stock on the entire London Stock exchange! Of course, it is a strong IP! The game and setting generate millions of pounds a month in revenue. There is literally only a few dozen IP's on the planet at this level. 

If it was, you would see more developers wanting to buy the License to make AoS video game. you also have to account that 40K maybe the Primier product that hoist GW into becoming top dog and not so much the other products.

like I am not really seeing AoS grow or branch out into other media outside of the TT space. It is extremely lacking.

If I wanted to be pediatric I can state that AoS fallen off the second place mark last year in some polls and data that have said they where second place years ago too

Edited by novakai

1 minute ago, Hollow said:

Which didn't do much for Realm of Ruins. Released november 2023 I think and I have seen sales with a 75-90% discount. The Old World and Age of Sigmar are not different enough in aesthetics / gameplay to make a Total War AoS game. The difference between Warhammer I-III will be small and it will probably have a huge backslash from Warhammer die hards that would rather see more expansions for Warhammer III.

40K is a very different beast. If they make the battles work it will be a huge succes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Is Realms of Ruin really that bad?...

My rig won't  run it and I don't own any consoles but it looks decent enough. I'll definitely try it out when I do have a better pc. 

Edited by Vasshpit

4 minutes ago, novakai said:

If it was you would see more developers wanting to buy the License to make AoS video game. you also have to account that 40K maybe the Primier product that hoist GW into becoming top dog and not so much the other products.

like I am not really seeing AoS grow or branch out into other media outside of the TT space. It is extremely lacking.

If I wanted to be pediatric I can state that AoS fallen off the second place mark last year in some polls and data that have said they where second place years ago too

Who is in second place in those polls? Out of curiosity.

6 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

Which didn't do much for Realm of Ruins. Released november 2023 I think and I have seen sales with a 75-90% discount. The Old World and Age of Sigmar are not different enough in aesthetics / gameplay to make a Total War AoS game. The difference between Warhammer I-III will be small and it will probably have a huge backslash from Warhammer die hards that would rather see more expansions for Warhammer III.

40K is a very different beast. If they make the battles work it will be a huge succes.

What about something like releasing a last army for TWW, and that army being SCE? Would it be too crazy? It's like testing how AoS would perform without going too nut.

1 minute ago, novakai said:

If it was you would see more developers wanting to buy the License to make AoS video game. you also have to account that 40K maybe the Primier product that hoist GW into becoming top dog and not so much the other products.

like I am not really seeing AoS grow or branch out into other media outside of the TT space. 

A few points. I share your frustration with the speed at which AoS's setting is being explored and expanded upon. However, I will bat for it on this occasion. The Setting itself is not even 10 years old. It's young, very young when it comes to fantasy settings. Realms of Ruins took over 3 years to develop (So it started in 2nd Edition) and cost over £20 million to develop. 

I have no doubt there are several other AoS projects currently in development, but many of these won't even see the day of light. Some we will not hear about for another couple of years. Such is the way of game development.

40K is the flagship setting and product of GW. Although, if you were to separate Marines from 40k, the two systems would be a lot more comparable than we think. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Who is in second place in those polls? Out of curiosity.

It was the company that makes those DND miniatures, then Battletech, Star war shatter point, and Marvel Crisis protocol 

Edited by novakai

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, novakai said:

Last time I checked aos was the 4th in the chart, yes.

I think 3rd edition was the most anticipated edition of recent warhammer (even more than 10th or 9th) but the hype builded around it fell off in the first year and half and never recovered momentum.

Idk if was kruleboyz, the delays, the clonic books, the boring one-hero releases, the rules bloat in ghbs, the lack of lore and campaigns…

Edited by Ragest

6 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Is Realms of Ruin really that bad?...

My rig won't  run it and I don't own any consoles but it looks decent enough. I'll definitely try it out when I do have a better pc. 

It is a game designed for consoles with a genre whose player base plays on PC. It's too repetitive and plain. It is nice for some time, but not to keep repeating over and over. The best, IMO, is the narrative ending and the maps creator.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, novakai said:

It was the company that makes those DND miniatures, then Battletech, Star war shatter point, and Marvel Crisis protocol 

Am I mistaken in saying those polls reflect popularity in NA? Not global popularity? 

4 minutes ago, Hollow said:

A few points. I share your frustration with the speed at which AoS's setting is being explored and expanded upon. However, I will bat for it on this occasion. The Setting itself is not even 10 years old. It's young, very young when it comes to fantasy settings. Realms of Ruins took over 3 years to develop (So it started in 2nd Edition) and cost over £20 million to develop. 

I have no doubt there are several other AoS projects currently in development, but many of these won't even see the day of light. Some we will not hear about for another couple of years. Such is the way of game development.

40K is the flagship setting and product of GW. Although, if you were to separate Marines from 40k, the two systems would be a lot more comparable than we think. 

The things is these project are pretty frequent in industry news and GW reports. And currently the only AoS project is what ever Nexon is doing 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, novakai said:

The things is these project are pretty frequent in industry news and GW reports. And currently the only AoS project is what ever Nexon is doing 

I had no idea. I just searched for some info and it looks interesting!

EDIT: It seems there's two: Warhammer MMO for PC/Console in Development at Jackalyptic (wccftech.com)

Edited by Ejecutor
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ragest said:

Idk if was kruleboyz, the delays, the clonic books, the boring one-hero releases, the rules bloat in ghbs, the lack of lore and campaigns…

A mixture I'd wager. 

As far as krules go I remember initial response was pretty positive. Either really liked them or really didn't and the old samey same gw orc was more your taste. But overall I really think their very lackluster rules ended up hurting the faction deeply. Kragnos was not overly well recieved either. And to top it off Kruleboyz didn't really do much in narrative so I really think this hurt them particularly so. I don't think they were meant to be souped and that world events threw a wrench in 3rds plans more than we'll ever know. 

All that aside they are amazing imo. Can't wait to see what's in store for them as I've a feeling Chorfs and krules will have some history. 

2 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

A mixture I'd wager. 

As far as krules go I remember initial response was pretty positive. Either really liked them or really didn't and the old samey same gw orc was more your taste. But overall I really think their very lackluster rules ended up hurting the faction deeply. Kragnos was not overly well recieved either. And to top it off Kruleboyz didn't really do much in narrative so I really think this hurt them particularly so. I don't think they were meant to be souped and that world events threw a wrench in 3rds plans more than we'll ever know. 

All that aside they are amazing imo. Can't wait to see what's in store for them as I've a feeling Chorfs and krules will have some history. 

I think the lack of big release or narrative drive the following year hurt the edition rather then the Kruleboyz release.

we had like 10 battletomes in 2022 and most of them where copy paste from the previous tome but also expensiver, most of the release where small heroes (some like the OBR ones where mixed bag), and season of War: Thondia which was meh, never was follow up upon and  strictly worser then Forbidden power of the previous edition.

48 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I literally thought about it when a few posts ago there was a chat about how poor the AoS map is defined. How are you going to create an AoS TWW without that? I thought it would be impossible or very limited.

44 minutes ago, BarakUrbaz said:

There's literally one map for every single mortal realm other than Azyr, you could easily just adapt them.

44 minutes ago, Luperci said:

they'll probably just focus on the great parch or some new area that doesn't encompass a full realm, unlike WFB, AOS factions have a prescence in pretty much every realm, the setting is very flexible and large enough to create some new area to set it in

AoS is great with its vagueness! The Great Parch is, if my memory serves correctly, twice the size of the World-that-Was/our Earth. an RTS doesn't need that much space!

Make one map, roughly the size of TWW's, but split the continents across a few different Realms. All new locations, new maps, etc. 

You would get a pretty interesting RTS map, with hotpoints/bottlenecks you'd need to fight over to be able to access the other continents. Finding a Realmgate would be exciting, and taking one would mean two sieges: one for each side of the portal. 

I think setting some videogames in previously-unseen corners of the Realms would be a great way to get people's foot in the door. Then, they'd get to hit the tabletop game proper, learn about the "main character" continents, see that the events of the game they liked are both canon and maybe important enough to be a footnote here and there. Then they'd get the pleasure of realizing these worlds are so big that they can make up their own places in them: existing alongside the main narrative, the novels, and the videogames. 

Ever since 1.0, I've thirsted for an Age of Sigmar take on the Space Marine game. Let people feel what it's LIKE to be an eight foot tall knight. Include all the weird and interesting weapons and gear Stormcast are able to use. The game would be so easy to start too; you're a Knight-Questor getting beamed down for a solo mission, or the survivor of a failed first wave. You could even end a chapter (or two) with Your Guy losing only to get reforged and start the next chapter somewhere entirely different and new, or the same location a long time later.

I really like the protagonist continents, but I'd love to see other authors and studios getting free reign to pop off in their own little corner. "Little corner," here, could mean a continent easily as large as Australia lobbed somewhere on a map of a realm or sub-realm

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1