Alternative for Ardboyz

NeoA

Salve 

First things first: english isn't my native language, so please pardon my mistakes. I try my best not to torture your beautiful language to much.

I am thinking to start  an ironjawz army as an alternative to my SCE.

I realy love the models, with the exception of the Ardboyz. I know, they are the old blackorc models, but they just don't fit in the new esthetic of the Ironjawz. At least in my opinion. 

The worst part for me are the helmets. I want my Orcs to look the enemy straight in the eye, not to hide cowardly behind a slap of metal.

And the groin protector. They just look like robots, with the legs spread so far apart. 

Do you know any good alternative models for the Ardboyz that fit in the Brute/Gore Grunta esthetic? Most models i found look to different, and/or there are just 2 or 3 different models, wich might look a bit boring in a horde of 10 to 20 Boyz.

Ive always thought about using Brutes while leaving the torso armor off and put on 32mm bases would be cool. 

@NeoA

I agree on the models. Compared to the new design they just dont look good imo. 

Im hoping GW doesnt go down that design route and stays with the new look of Ironjawz. 

10 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Ive always thought about using Brutes while leaving the torso armor off and put on 32mm bases would be cool. 

Good idea, but i like the fact, that orcs grow bigger the more battle experience they get. So Brutes with less armor would probably still look to hulking.

I even paint my SCE so that the oponent can easily distinguish between battleline and elite troops.

If your main issue is the heads on the Ardboyz, and not the rest of the model, then it would be pretty easy to replace the heads with something from a 3rd party or just get some from another orc/ork kit from GW via an online bits seller.  The company Spellcrow makes a large assortment of alternative orc heads.  They have the widest assortment that would work for a fantasy game.  You could also look at offerings from MaxMini, Kromlech, or Puppetswar.  The other good alternative is to just buy some heads from other GW kits as bits from another online bits seller on ebay.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, NeoA said:

Wow, thank you so much, that's exactly what I was looking for. 

Sure thing.  I have bought Orc/Ork parts from just about every 3rd party manufacturer out there - so I have a fair bit of experience with the different sizes, styles, and quality.  One thing to note about Spellcrow is that the products that are named "bulky" are basically designed for a 40k Ork Nob.  I am sure you could get away with using them on Ardboyz as they are a bit bulkier than standard orcs, but those heads are probably somewhere in between the size of a standard unhelmeted Ardboy and a Brute.  They may be a bit closer in size to the Brute.  So suffice to say, they use the term bulky for a reason.  I am sure they would work fine but I just wanted to point that out before you purchase just in case.

In regards to quality, I have a lot of heads from different manufacturers and Spellcrow are one of the best ones in terms of quality.  There is usually not much clean-up required and miscast parts are rare in my experience.  So they get a thumbs up from me in terms of quality.  Kromlech and MaxMini have some really great sculpts (both of them make really excellent alternative tribal heads that work great with Bonesplitterz), but they can sometimes have more flash and clean-up.  I still recommend either of those manufacturers as well if you like any of the styles they offer.

• Subscriber

I had the same thoughts with my Ardboyz and seeing that I already have the Underworld warband, i'm looking to convert of the blood bowl orcs to make a unit of 10 overall. 

Depending how that goes and with enough heads and weapons, I might try the same again to make it upto 20. I'll be posting photos once I get started

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I was inspired by this thread and converted eight Blood Bowl orcs into Ardboys for my Warcry warband.  Five with big choppas and three with choppas and smashas.  They are so very dynamic and more characterful than the stock box set of Ardboys.  The remaining bits from an orruk Brute box made this conversion possible.  That, along with pinning and green stuff.

35E43A42-4297-4851-B81C-9528C0FCCA4C.jpeg

E6C8363C-BF7D-44A7-9DE5-11837C1A5974.jpeg

61F6F7CF-EE48-4E80-B051-45D03163AF59.jpeg

4383C533-637A-4030-A859-D05974236239.jpeg

16603841-B7C5-4F44-BA0A-19E5D787FB5B.jpeg

5B995D93-24AF-4AC8-AA05-7BC2A459562A.jpeg

7C70D8CF-AA24-415B-ABEE-B32F09765F04.jpeg

DCFED748-B4D2-4A43-B84F-247B1A46D0BC.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Most anti-ardboy Ironjawz players hate the classic proportions and posture as well, so Bloodbowl Orcs are probably what you're looking for. ****** taste, honestly, and I wish GW didn't abandon much of the core aesthetic of a race that was there since 1st ed whfb. 

• Confused 1