Jump to content

Slaanesh colour scheme - help!


Zlatan
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone!

As I’m sure many of you have, I’ve fallen to the temptations of the Dark Prince after having seen the gorgeous new Keeper which is coming soon. I’m looking to put together a small Slaaneshi army for tournament play. 

Although I’m a massive fan of the typical pale purples and greys of the studio army, I’d like to do something a bit different so that they stand out from the crowd (I’m sure there’s going to be a bunch of Slaanesh armies when the new book comes out). 

I’ve put together a scheme using dark brown skin tones with contrasting pinks, purples, gold and blues, and I’d really appreciate some feedback before I commit to it for the rest of my force. 

Do you think it’s too dark? I’d like them to pop and look good from a distance. Do you think any of the colours could be changed to make them more eye-catching? 

If anyone else has come up with any interesting schemes, I’d be really interested in you sharing them here too. 

6F4CA5A3-29B9-470E-97A7-1E75F4B07682.jpeg

  • Like 16
  • LOVE IT! 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it looks pretty cool! By using such a light base with the snow the overall look isn't too dark. the shading on the claws might be a bit too harsh though, maybe lighten that up a bit. 

I've been working on a Slaaneshi force for a long time now, you can follow my plog on this forum (link below). My daemons look a lot different from yours, with light skintones and dark purples.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it works really well - yes the core of the body is quite dark, but you've picked out a lot of details in brighter colours and it really makes them pop powerfully. Golds, purples, reds, blues - they all really stand out against he dark core body. I'd say its a good scheme! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice work. I did something similar for my slaanesh, but used a dark brown (rhinox hide) and shaded up a bit more, using pinks, purples, golds and silvers to highlight. My daemonettes are a deep purple rather than grey for the same reasons as you. There are photos on my plog if you are interested, as I don't have the pics handy. Lovely work you have achieved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EvilMonkee said:

I friggin love that - whats the recipes for the different colours as I need to steal *ahem* borrow them...?

Thanks EvilMonkee! 

Here’s the recipe:

- Chaos Black spray primer.

- Skin: Dryad Bark, Druchii Violet, highlighted up with Dryad Bark and progressively more Gorthor Brown. Final spot highlights with Cadian Fleshtone. 

- Pink: Screamer Pink, Pink Horror Highlights, Carroburg Crimson Wash, Pink Horror Highlights again. Final spot highlight with Fulgrim Pink. 

- Purple: Naggaroth Nightshade, Xereus Purple on raised areas, Genestealer Purple highlights, Druchii Violet wash, Lucius Lilac spot highlights. 

- Gold: Retributor Armour, Druchii Violet wash, Retributor Armour on raised areas, Liberator Gold highlight. 

- Blue gems and eyes: Kantor Blue, Ahriman Blue, Baharroth  Blue, Blue Horror, Guilliman Blue glaze, Ardcoat varnish. 

Tongue: Kantor Blue, wet blended towards the tip into Baharroth Blue. 

Loincloth: Rakarth Flesh, Flayed One Flesh, Reikland Fleshshade, Flayed One Flesh highlights. 

 

  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, elfhead said:

I think it looks pretty cool! By using such a light base with the snow the overall look isn't too dark. the shading on the claws might be a bit too harsh though, maybe lighten that up a bit. 

I've been working on a Slaaneshi force for a long time now, you can follow my plog on this forum (link below). My daemons look a lot different from yours, with light skintones and dark purples.

Thanks Elfhead! I’ve just looked at your plog - Absolutely f******* gorgeous! I love the conversions and the colour scheme is really cool too. The white, gold and purples is a classic combo and the ratios you’ve used make them look classy and noble. Love it! 

Thanks for the feedback about the claws - I totally agree. I’ll go back and blend them up a bit more. 

Edited by Zlatan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kaaras said:

Nice work. I did something similar for my slaanesh, but used a dark brown (rhinox hide) and shaded up a bit more, using pinks, purples, golds and silvers to highlight. My daemonettes are a deep purple rather than grey for the same reasons as you. There are photos on my plog if you are interested, as I don't have the pics handy. Lovely work you have achieved.

Thanks Kaaras. I’ve just checked out your plogs. I love your Slaaneshi scheme - it’s similar to the darker look I’m trying to achieve here, and the purple on the daemonettes is really striking. 

Your Orcs are pretty cool too! 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Zlatan said:

Thanks EvilMonkee! 

Here’s the recipe:

- Chaos Black spray primer.

- Skin: Dryad Bark, Druchii Violet, highlighted up with Dryad Bark and progressively more Gorthor Brown. Final spot highlights with Cadian Fleshtone. 

- Pink: Screamer Pink, Pink Horror Highlights, Carroburg Crimson Wash, Pink Horror Highlights again. Final spot highlight with Fulgrim Pink. 

- Purple: Naggaroth Nightshade, Xereus Purple on raised areas, Genestealer Purple highlights, Druchii Violet wash, Lucius Lilac spot highlights. 

- Gold: Retributor Armour, Druchii Violet wash, Retributor Armour on raised areas, Liberator Gold highlight. 

- Blue gems and eyes: Kantor Blue, Ahriman Blue, Baharroth  Blue, Blue Horror, Guilliman Blue glaze, Ardcoat varnish. 

Tongue: Kantor Blue, wet blended towards the tip into Baharroth Blue. 

Loincloth: Rakarth Flesh, Flayed One Flesh, Reikland Fleshshade, Flayed One Flesh highlights. 

 

Thanks for that.  I would be interested in seeing how it translates to a smaller Daemonette if you have any pics?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

Thanks for that.  I would be interested in seeing how it translates to a smaller Daemonette if you have any pics?

Sure. I’m a bit worried about that myself. I’ll be working on that later today so hopefully I’ll have a pic soon. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Zlatan said:

Sure. I’m a bit worried about that myself. I’ll be working on that later today so hopefully I’ll have a pic soon. 

Thanks.  Any chance of a closer in pic of the skin?

PS - just realised this is a bit of a love in - Slaanesh will approve.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

Thanks.  Any chance of a closer in pic of the skin?

PS - just realised this is a bit of a love in - Slaanesh will approve.  

I’ve done my best. For some reason I the camera makes it look slightly darker than it is in real life no matter what I try. 

E5287604-6166-4F76-8EBC-A7DF2F3F86AD.jpeg

C812B7C8-816D-488E-9B6C-271A519D5C1B.jpeg

40FB7115-9DDD-4732-8375-43CD4D998C5E.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Zlatan said:

I’ve done my best. For some reason I the camera makes it look slightly darker than it is in real life no matter what I try. 

E5287604-6166-4F76-8EBC-A7DF2F3F86AD.jpeg

C812B7C8-816D-488E-9B6C-271A519D5C1B.jpeg

40FB7115-9DDD-4732-8375-43CD4D998C5E.jpeg

Two things on the Photography side. You can manually over expose a bit if it’s the picture*. Or get a photo editing app like Snapseed (it’s free) and lift the shadows up a bit and maybe reduce the contrast a smidge. because looking at the pictures. The white balance seems good, highlights not dimmed, it’s just the shadows that are a bit dark. And your phone/camera can’t tell the dark skin apart it seems  

now onto the thing I now very little about 😅 Amazing paint job! Love the bold choice of the black skin and claws. The bright blue shines extra because of it  

 

* with iphone it’s by pressing the screen while in photo mode and sliding the scale a bit up. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2019 at 11:38 PM, Darkfine said:

Great scheme, not sure about the bases though.  Feel like they could be an opportunity to play with the palette a little.

Thanks for the feedback. I want a lighter base because otherwise I find the overall look is too dark and it helps the models pop a bit more. I’m not particularly adventurous when it comes to basing though, and I’m very open to any suggestions. 

 

I’ve started work on my Keeper. I need to finish off the base obviously and a few gemstones here and there but otherwise she’s nearly done. But I’m a little worried about her being too dark.... I’m not really sure what I should do to make her stand out more from a distance and I want to keep the dark broody feel. Any thoughts? 

 

 

A16E8682-989A-448B-ADC0-39BF8C972638.jpeg

Edited by Zlatan
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get wanting to brighten up the tone with the white but I think good ol’ grassland would also brighten it a lot and allow you to do splashes of red/yellow/orange.  

Could be wrong, just feel the white looks sort of off.

Opinions right?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...