Hammerhal in other languages?

Zaniel

Bit of a weird question but what do you think other races might call the city of Hammerhal? Especially the evil ones.

Was planning a quest with a Skaven infestation under the city with a boss character in an established area hidden under Hammerhal. Hoping for some ideas of how the Skaven would refer to the name of the city. 

Also other races terms for the place would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Sorry, not answering your question at all (I'm missing cultural knowledg about Skavens ;) ), but if you create material for this scenario (map, story, etc...) could you share it after?

I'm definitively interesed by any quest or additional scenario for both Silver tower and SoH.

Most of the races all speak "common" tongue same as they did way back in the Old World - so most places are named as they are in common tongue. Skaven likely call it Hammerhal when speaking in common tongue. If their own chittering language it would likely be different, but at the same time we've no actual words nor structure from that language to work on to give any approximation. 

If humans call it Hammerhal then likely skaven do as well - the places that would have different names are going to be much older places that ahve traded hands between factions and thus might have a different cultural name. Eg if Skaven took hold of Hammerhal they might rename it and then if orks swept in they could rename it too - so the place might end up with three or more names that way.

Good point about common naming especially as Hammerhal would be so famous throughout the realms and races.

I'll post more about the campaign when I have it developed more, very early days with the concept for now.

Just wanted to have a bit of fun with the characters names.  I was thinking the players could discover a Clan Moulder Flesh Factory in the catacombs of Hammerhal and have to thwart the attempt of the Master Moulder to reanimate a Hell-Pit Abomination. Playing around with the Master Moulder's title something like, Rattus the first Scabsmith of the Hammerhal Flesh-Furnace.  

Yep even in the real world many places are named in their local language by other nations. London is still London for most peoples around the world no matter their home language. I put it down to the fact that when they find these big settlements they aren't naming them themselves, but are using the local name because that's what local people call it.

Where you'd get a unique name might be not in the name of a place but its description. Eg the Skaven might call Hammerhal Hammerhal, but they might not describe it as a city but could say "human midden" or something to that effect. 

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Yep even in the real world many places are named in their local language by other nations. London is still London for most peoples around the world no matter their home language. I put it down to the fact that when they find these big settlements they aren't naming them themselves, but are using the local name because that's what local people call it.

Well in Spanish it's called Londres

• 4 weeks later...