Age of Sigmar models in Frostgrave

No, but most dedicated skirmish games would probably work better for tiny games than AoS Skirmish (I'm not saying AoS Skirmish is bad, it's just forcing a non skirmish game super small).  It'll be a different experience and you'll have to do some conversion work.  Some armies will need real thought as Frastgrave assumes a wizard is leading the warbands, right?

I use GW models for frostgrave quite frequently, generally from AoS or LotR. Like most non GW games frostgrave isn't overly stringent in specifying what things need to look like, so you can use any wizard or soldier models you can lay your hands on.

Any army with a spellcaster can form the basis of a warband, and the spells within the different schools are open enough that you can fairly easily get the feel of the AoS caster's powers, if not the exact same spells. The soldier roles are generic enough that most if not all armies have suitable models for most of the rolls, although you might want to mix and match a little. For example use wanderers for rangers and archers, freeguild for crossbowmen, and Chaos Mauraders for Barbarians.

That does mean that using the frostgrave system to play games in the Warhammer setting might be easier said than done, as you might need to draw on units from right across a grand alliance (or beyond) to get the range of models you want for your soldiers. The GW line has a lot of models that would be good for frostgrave's random encounters, with a bit of creative paintwork, and maybe a conversion or too, but you'd probably want to supliment them with models from Reaper and Otherworlds too, since GW games don't lend themselves that well to just buying one or two monsters of a given type. If you already have a comprehensive miniature collection then you should be fine, but if you are starting out then you might not want to buy an entire twenty pound kit just to get one or two wolves for example.

On the flip side I have been pondering using Rangers of Shadow Deep (which uses the Frostgrave engine) to portray Imperial agents adventuring in the Great Forest of the Empire in the Old World.  Just changing some of the monsters around, thematically (Gnolls would be portrayed with Beastmen models, etc.)

3 minutes ago, Aegisgrimm said:

On the flip side I have been pondering using Rangers of Shadow Deep (which uses the Frostgrave engine) to portray Imperial agents adventuring in the Great Forest of the Empire in the Old World.  Just changing some of the monsters around, thematically (Gnolls would be portrayed with Beastmen models, etc.)

I just picked up a Start Collecting: Stormcast Vanguard box for that very idea.  I'm thinking about Vanguard-Hunters as the Ranger equivalent with a mix of Freeguild, Gryph-Hounds, and Aetherwings as the companions.

Yeah, as some of the videos show a lot of Gnolls being used in scenarios, I'm thinking 50 bucks for a box of Gors and a box of Ungors would go a long way to fill out a collection of "bad guys" for a Warhammer setting, especially as I already have lots of Orcs and Skaven.  Maybe a couple of Chaos warriors both on foot and mounted, as well.

I am using my LotR and Frostgrave minis for Rangers of Shadow Deep. GW’s LotR line is nice and generic. The scale between the two brands is similar enough (I use to cut off the Frostgrave bases and glue them on GW bases). 

For monsters you should perhaps use whatever fits. 

Archived