Stormcast 1000pt Tournament list

rayztoyz

My local game store is hosting a 1000pt tournament using the Generals Handbook structure/points.  I've been raking my brain trying to assemble a list that is "decent at everything" since I'm not entirely sure which armys I'll be facing.  I'm thinking of the list below, but I'm open to suggestion.

Celestant on foot (100)

Knight-Venator (120)

Liberators (hammers/grand hammer) (100)

Liberators (hammers/grand hammer) (100)

Decimators (200)

Judicators (bows/shockbolt) (160)

Retributors (200)

Total 1000points

Hello,

Retributors are 220pts / 5 not 200.

What are all miniature have you ?

On 1000pts you can spam Judicators with bows for battle ligne units. If you have only 5, 5 liberators only for the second battle ligne, they are not really good, just pick them for battalions or if you have no other ligne units.

Have you a Lord Relictor to replace the venator ? Or if you want you can play judicators + Prosecutors + Venator and only one close unit like lord on dracoth or 5 Paladins ?

5 minutes ago, Skevin said:

Hello,

Retributors are 220pts / 5 not 200.

What are all miniature have you ?

On 1000pts you can spam Judicators with bows for battle ligne units. If you have only 5, 5 liberators only for the second battle ligne, they are not really good, just pick them for battalions or if you have no other ligne units.

Have you a Lord Relictor to replace the venator ? Or if you want you can play judicators + Prosecutors + Venator and only one close unit like lord on dracoth or 5 Paladins ?

I have 2 units of Judicators (all with bows), 40 Liberators (35 with hammers, 5 with blades), 10 Retributors (4 with Starsoul maces, 2 leaders, 4 normal), Relictor, Venator, Heraldor, Azyros, Celestant on Dracoth. 

I'm new to AoS (and tabletop gaming in general) I've played 4 games thus far and I'm addicted.  I can purchase whatever is needed to make a solid list, as I'd like to try more tournaments.

-Thanks for the help

Hi Rayztoys,

do you know what missions you are playing? As certain missions can change the way you construct your list.

I think for pure power and what I'm considering taking myself to the brothers of sigmar doubles event you can't beat this.

knight vexilor

pennant of the storm bringer 

( relic blade artefact)

(legendary fighter trait)

judicators x2

10 retributors with 4 maces.

After the vexillor has teleported the retributors he can now fight and tank small units with 5 attacks and damage 2 sword.

judicators pound for pound are the best battle line available to SCE and Retributors with 4 maces with above average rolls and careful pile moves to maximise attacks can pretty much one shot a unit/big hero. 

If you have 2 x 5 Judicators you can win shot duel with a lot of army.
So 90% of your opponents can't win in a distance duel and rush you, and you can wait with a strong unit like Retributors and charge theme when they are in your side.

With this you can play what you whant, relictor for -1 hit or D3 heal on Retributors and venator for more shot and win mirror match, or only Celestant on dracoth.

10 minutes ago, Lez said:

Hi Rayztoys,

do you know what missions you are playing? As certain missions can change the way you construct your list.

I think for pure power and what I'm considering taking myself to the brothers of sigmar doubles event you can't beat this.

knight vexilor

pennant of the storm bringer 

( relic blade artefact)

(legendary fighter trait)

judicators x2

10 retributors with 4 maces.

After the vexillor has teleported the retributors he can now fight and tank small units with 5 attacks and damage 2 sword.

judicators pound for pound are the best battle line available to SCE and Retributors with 4 maces with above average rolls and careful pile moves to maximise attacks can pretty much one shot a unit/big hero. 

Love the Podcast btw!  

No missions have been released yet.  The tournament is on Aug. 13th.  

I'm going to play test your list over the next few days.  I've heard many good things about a SCE shooting army, but haven't tried one.  

2 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

Don't forget that in a lot of missions, you win objectives by having the most numerous of mods so lots of Liberators can be very useful. 

I've not made a list with this in mind but, currently, there's no advantage to sticking 100% stormcast. So missions that require bodies might be best suited to another horde unit in the Order grand alliance.

28 minutes ago, Turragor said:

I've not made a list with this in mind but, currently, there's no advantage to sticking 100% stormcast. So missions that require bodies might be best suited to another horde unit in the Order grand alliance.

And in a fluff sense, your Stormcast could be leading some Humans in retaking the Realms in Sigmar's name.

I've got a real craving for dwarf miners, I dunno why.

I've managed to acquire 17 mixed metal and plastic and they're just so much fun. Rules aren't bad either!

And they've got a pony!

They're a little dear for horde troops mind.

To be honest if I was starting AoS again before they knocked miners on the head I'd have an army of only miners. Forget stormcast.

Maybe the steamhead duardin will scratch this itch better.

In the meantime if I can get 3 more I'll paint up 2 units!

Fluff wise - The stormcast must guard the few, uncouth experts in Azyrheim who know how to mine fallen sigmarite 'in the wild'.

On 1 August 2016 at 4:05 PM, rayztoyz said:

Love the Podcast btw!  

No missions have been released yet.  The tournament is on Aug. 13th.  

I'm going to play test your list over the next few days.  I've heard many good things about a SCE shooting army, but haven't tried one.  

Cheers man.

we try and entertain when we can :)

let me know how the list plays, as I'm not gonna get any practice and it's all theory from my end.

15 hours ago, LordDrakonus said:

As a second thought how would you expand this too 2k? I really Like the extremist chamber would adding some drakes and of corse a 3rd judicator squad be a viable build?

Here's my take on the above idea @2k.

Celestant-Prime (360)
Lord Celestant (100)
Lord Castellant (100)
Knight Vexillor (200)
- Pennant of the Stormbringer
Knight Heraldor (120)
Paladin Retributors x 10 (440)
Paladin Protectors x 5 (200)
Judicators x 5 (160)
Judicators x 5 (160)
Judicators x 5 (160)

On 8/3/2016 at 6:05 AM, Lez said:

Cheers man.

we try and entertain when we can :)

let me know how the list plays, as I'm not gonna get any practice and it's all theory from my end.

Finally was able to get a game in using your exact list.  We played "Border War" from the GHB.  My opponent was playing Black Orcs, so having less units was easy.  (She had 7 units and myself with 4).  I used the  Legendary Fighter Command Trait and the Relic Blade Artefact.  My opponent knew about the teleport bomb and played a tide wall close to her characters.  I advanced my units to score points.  I was able to win a minor victory by scoring 15 objective points compared to her 9!  I would say the list is solid.

A couple of after game thoughts......

- Vexillor didn't do ANYTHING.  The Black Orcs did have shooting so my Vexillor was never under challenge.  I kept him out of combat until the top of turn 5 when I wanted to "try" to take the objective in her deployment zone.  But that's fine with me, knowing that I could tele-bomb in any of my hero phases was awesome! 

- 10 Retributoirs with 4 Starsoul maces is AMAZING!  Worth every point.....

Thanks again for the suggestion Lez!

Tournament was yesterday and I must say I had an absolute blast.  It was a small 10 person affair with each player playing 3 games total.  The TO set the scoring at 3 pts for a major/tabling, 2 pts for a minor, 1 pt for a draw and 0 for a loss.  

First game was Take and Hold against a great Ironjawz list.  4x5 Brutes, 1x10 Ardboys, Shaman, Warboss and Warchanter.  I feel the Ironjawz are the perfect counter to SCE.  They hit hard, charge amazing and if the Shaman doesn't die quick...ouch.  My opponents was able to roll way above average dice and had me tabled in 3 rounds.  Disappointed but not defeated I moved on to round 2 at the bottom table.

In round 2 I played a Beast Claw Raiders list in Border War.  My opponents list consisted of  1 Thundertusk Beastriders, Hunter, 2x2 Mournfang, 2x2 Frost Sabers.  I used Judicators to take wounds from the Hunter and Thundertusk turn one.  He chose to take on my unit of 10 Retributors (which was a huge mistake.)  With 4 Starsoul maces hitting he was down to half wounds.  Then my 6 other hammers finished him off.  When my opponent lost his Thundertusk he thought he would focus his Mournfang and Hunter on my Retributors.  My Retributors screamed "For Sigmar" and destroyed all but 1 Mournfang.  Earlier that same turn, in my hero phase, I teleported one group of Judicators to the marker in his deployment zone and started racking up points.  While the other group of Judicators took out the Frost Sabers.  His army was down to 1 wound remaining on one Mournfang and everything else dead at the bottom of turn 3.  I was happy to end the game there and take 2 pts with a win for scoring more objectives but my opponent thought I was a nice enough opponent and allowed me the next turn to kill his last Mournfang and earn 3 pts.  With that I had just 3pts.  I checked the score board and found that only 2 players had 6pts, 2 players had 2pts, 4 had 3pts and 2 players had 0pts.  I wasn't on the bottom table any longer!  

In round 3 I played against Grots using the Gift From the Heavens battle plan.  His list consisted of 3 X 30 Grots with a Shaman in each group and 3 Fanatics.  I'd never seen Grots and I had no idea how they played.  I figured I'd try to take out a Shaman with one group of Judicators and another Shaman with the second group of Judicators. That worked well because they couldnt move d3 extra in the Hero phase.  So with 2 groups slowed way down he moved D3 in his Hero, then ran in the movement for third group right at a unit of Judicators. They weren't close enough to charge first turn but having 30 Grots coming at a group of 5 Judicators was troubling.  I tried in my next shooting phase to take out his last Shaman but I couldn't get at him.  In the 1 turn after loosing 2 Shaman he hid his last one behind cover and my Judicators couldn't see him to shoot at him.  So I started just shooting into the advancing 30 model horde with both units of Judicators.  That seemed to work out ok.  They were able to finally reach me and change me second turn.  So both units of Judicators were locked in combat and his 3rd unit of Grots wanted to take on my Retibutors. I love getting the Retibutors into combat.  He was glad my list didn't have Decimators, but had never played against a 10 model unit of Retributors.  I told him they were just as tough but with less attacks.  It didn't matter When they start swinging maces and hammers things die! He started loosing models like crazy.  His pile of dead was awesome to behold! In the top of the 4th turn I teleported one group of Judicators to the meteor that landed in his deployment zone.  My opponent was so worries about getting tables he forgot to cover his meteor and by the time the dust settled on the bottom of turn 5 I had 13 objective points to his 4.  That's scored me a major victory and 3 points.  So 6 total points out of 9 possible! 

After all all the scores were tallied up there was a 4 way tie for first.  So the TO decided to split the prize pool between the 4 first place ties.  Then the handed out the gift certificates for best painted army. Then I was shocked to find out I had won best Sportsmen!  I was more proud of that than anything else.  All 3 of my opponents voted me as their favorite....

I said earlier on that this was my first tournament and I was fairly new to tabletop war gaming.  To walk away being tied for first and best sportsmen was AWESOME!  A huge, big, gigantic thank you goes out to Lez for jumping in an making a list suggestion....thanks mate. Hope to meet you some time...first round is on me!  His list works well.....try it...you'll like it! 

Two observations I made while playing my first tournament....

1) People are very proud of their army and everyone has a different budget.  Be kind and generous. I have a saying "no good deed goes un-noticed nor unpunished".  If I could afford it I would have given my SCE army to the college kid that was playing Grots.  He has no extra money, all of his stuff is painted and he's doing the best he can with what he has. He's the guy representing the true aspect of this hobby. He's the real winner here...and I donated my prize certificates back to the store in his name to so he can continue to play/purchase in the future. Or maybe I'll give him my 3k points of SCE and use the gift certificates to buy Flesh Eaters...

2) This game is what you make of it.  Go to have FUN first.  If you win...cool.  If you loose...cool.  Nothing will change in your life if you don't win...unless you do something stupid.  Then your liable to get asked to leave and not return ever like a player did at this tournament.  

Enjoy...have fun....make friends! 

Yes 960 points.  I wanted to insure I always went first on Turn 1.  Having just 4 units allowed me to care less about the "roll to see who deploys first rule".  I always went first, because I always finished deploying first. 

Dracothian guard - Tempestor/ Concussors will surely help your list.

Also, taking the first turn may not be as ideal as you may like. 

Lastly, having a prosecutor + 2 units retributors = hammerstrike force in replacement with your Vexillor. This allows you to free up 1 hero slot if you need to and give you mobility with prosecutors w/ a drop pod strat.

18 hours ago, rayztoyz said:

Yes 960 points.  I wanted to insure I always went first on Turn 1.  Having just 4 units allowed me to care less about the "roll to see who deploys first rule".  I always went first, because I always finished deploying first. 

Didn't know about that rule, that's nice.

A boosted Vanguard Wing formation (with Stormcall Javelins) looks pretty powerful at 1000 points since the opponent probably only has one big gribbly to worry about. You can definitely bulk it out to ensure you have only have 1 drop, or maybe 2 if you choose to take a Venator or other choice. Meaning you can always choose who goes first, and can pretty much choose and isolate your targets as your movement is very dynamic. @Lez is absolutely correct about his proposed list being the power list at 1000 points - I guess it boils down to what you expect to play.

On 16/08/2016 at 0:39 AM, Da_RoCk said:

Lastly, having a prosecutor + 2 units retributors = hammerstrike force in replacement with your Vexillor. This allows you to free up 1 hero slot if you need to and give you mobility with prosecutors w/ a drop pod strat.

I play this formation and the problem i found is that separating your 10 hammers makes you more vulnerable as you have to activate them separatly and risk beeing destroyed.

Kozokus

Archived