Anyone buy the Shattered Domain board this weekend?

I loved the idea of these boards when they first arrived...but the projected price doubled :/

They are nice in general, but I don't like the sound of the dice rolling on it makes. I know that's silly :)

I love it, but I can't afford it, especially as I live way out in the fens where I wouldn't even be hosting games on it. What I really want is a single tile of it for armies on parade - maybe two. If they sold them individually, or in a two-pack like they used to with the old realm of battle, I'd go for that. Actually, I'd buy it right now.

I went all in and bought all the scenery in one go (except for the Chaos Dreadhold stuff). I'm off to NZ in 8 weeks though so not sure I'll have time to paint it or make it up this time around. I can open it all though and take a look.

For rolling I'd probably use a custom made mousemat mounted in a square frame, or I'd add some mousemat material underneath each tile to give it a cushion and some grip or something. And I think you could soundproof that hollow noise by stuffing newspaper inside perhaps. I think the problem with those ROB boards is nobody ever glues sand to them or texturises them, they just flock and drybrush the raw plastic texture. Which is partly why you get the very 'plastic' noise of dice.

I ordered  mine from Wayland, got the 20% discount which on a large order meant I could double up on some stuff, so I bought 2 of most things except the board.

Hoping to start a Bat Rep Youtube channel one day if I ever stop being a digital gypsy and settle in one place for long enough, so building up a stockpile of scenery.

2 hours ago, James McPherson said:

For rolling I'd probably use a custom made mousemat mounted in a square frame, or I'd add some mousemat material underneath each tile to give it a cushion and some grip or something. And I think you could soundproof that hollow noise by stuffing newspaper inside perhaps. I think the problem with those ROB boards is nobody ever glues sand to them or texturises them, they just flock and drybrush the raw plastic texture. Which is partly why you get the very 'plastic' noise of dice.

I glued sand to mine and can confirm that it gets rid of the "plastic" sound.

I almost did but then realised I can't justify it.  I've got the original Realms of Battle boards (when they still came in a bag), so adding another 6 boards to that is just excessive and they'd not get used enough for the financial outlay.  I'd love them to release the boards either individually or as pairs for a bit of variety but GW hasn't seemed keen to do that.

I solved the slippery surface problem by spraying them with Plastikote primer and then a matt colour, this adds enough texture on for models to grip, but doesn't add any real weight.  Even without any protective layer (varnish) this covering is robust enough to roll dice on without pulling up paint too.

As cool as they look, the topography makes particularly top heavy models (everything model with a standard) annoying to use, they are a pain in the backside to store and to top it off the price is not competetive compared to things like game mats (that are almost the same cost as a single tile!).

I think the only benefit to these boards are the aesthetic, so I guess if none of the above are an issue for you then your good to go!

If they start selling individual tiles I can see it being more appealing to people, especially if they start making a range of feature tiles that fit the aesthetic of more armies / locations.

14 hours ago, Urauloth said:

I love it, but I can't afford it, especially as I live way out in the fens where I wouldn't even be hosting games on it. What I really want is a single tile of it for armies on parade - maybe two. If they sold them individually, or in a two-pack like they used to with the old realm of battle, I'd go for that. Actually, I'd buy it right now.

I know uk stores will be selling the individual tiles for AoP this year, will start in a couple of weeks - don't know price or anything more than that until us managers are told :)

1 hour ago, Tim Davis said:

I know uk stores will be selling the individual tiles for AoP this year, will start in a couple of weeks - don't know price or anything more than that until us managers are told :)

That's cool - will keep an eye out for that (though not sure I'll have time for AoP)

20 minutes ago, James McPherson said:

I've still got this R.O.B tile brand new stored in my shed, hasn't seen daylight since I bought it, can't bear to part with it, it's so pretty. Just wish I'd bought 2 or 4 when they were available so I could tile them up together, as one in the corner is a bit meh

OK, that is very cool :)

1 hour ago, James McPherson said:

I've still got this R.O.B tile brand new stored in my shed, hasn't seen daylight since I bought it, can't bear to part with it, it's so pretty. Just wish I'd bought 2 or 4 when they were available so I could tile them up together, as one in the corner is a bit meh

Man I wish I'd bought one of these when they were available, this'd be perfect for my Armies on Parade idea this year!

In relation to the OP, sadly my plans to get a board fell through. Had suggested to my local group that we should buy one with a paint pack, split three ways, as it fitted into our usual budget, then next month, do the same thing, then the month after do the same thing.

At the end, we'd have a full board each, and if we needed to, we could have gotten a 4ft x 4ft board each instead

14 hours ago, Tim Davis said:

This is extremely good news.

@James McPherson That would be great too, and it makes sense with the board sizes recommended in the General's Handbook. A 2-pack addon allows for a huge 8-tile board and also for the 7-tile "circle" layouts some of the new battleplans use.

Archived