Question about the Black Coach

Fulkes

With the frankly awesome new model we have and the disappearance of the old metal one on GW's site, are people running the new one as the Legion Black Coach for the LoN book? I mostly want to ask since the new one is a lot bigger than the old one and the base size would make it easier to benefit from the ability to be within distance of more wizards for its rule.

Alternatively, is it worth allying the Nighthaunt one into a LoN army instead? I've always liked the idea of the Black Coach so I've been looking at trying to include it into an army at some point but I don't want to potentially be "that guy" with it either.

the 2 models don't have the same warscroll, so technically you can't use the nighthaunt one to proxy the legion one or vice-versa. In tournament this would never pass because as you said there is a big size difference between the 2. In friendly game, if your opponent is fine with it, you can do whatever you want! ;) 

I've never used the new one but by looking at it, it's more a support piece for spirit host/hexwraith than a beater/big monster. Even full buffed up it's not that amazing in my opinion. I don't think it's an overpowered model, so you won't be ''that guy'' :P Just remember that allies don't benefit from any alliegance traits so no 6++ shrug near heroes for him.

5 hours ago, Cursed said:

the 2 models don't have the same warscroll, so technically you can't use the nighthaunt one to proxy the legion one or vice-versa. In tournament this would never pass because as you said there is a big size difference between the 2. In friendly game, if your opponent is fine with it, you can do whatever you want! ;) 

I've never used the new one but by looking at it, it's more a support piece for spirit host/hexwraith than a beater/big monster. Even full buffed up it's not that amazing in my opinion. I don't think it's an overpowered model, so you won't be ''that guy'' :P Just remember that allies don't benefit from any alliegance traits so no 6++ shrug near heroes for him.

Well that's just a shame to hear since the Legion one was a nice model to run and I find the rules pretty neat but the models are so drastically different that there just isn't any overlap between them. :/

Tbh, my plan is to use the old one to convert and use as the new one, mostly because while the new model is gorgeous it is ridiculously oversized for its base. Makes it a huge pain to play with. My plan is to use the old coach model but add a pair of extra horses and a bunch of reapers around it to fill out the bigger base.

I'm getting the new Black Coach just because I want to build and paint it. No intentions of using it in my Nighthaunt army. That could always change, but I'm pretty happy with my list.

Sad to hear they aren't making the old model anymore. Hope it's just that they sold out temporarily. 

8 hours ago, Wraith01 said:

I'm getting the new Black Coach just because I want to build and paint it. No intentions of using it in my Nighthaunt army. That could always change, but I'm pretty happy with my list.

Sad to hear they aren't making the old model anymore. Hope it's just that they sold out temporarily. 

What's your current list? 

9 hours ago, themortalgod said:

Tbh, my plan is to use the old one to convert and use as the new one, mostly because while the new model is gorgeous it is ridiculously ...

...too expensive (€) for what it does and it‘s size (90% of the size are horses...). It‘s meant to be a 40€/60€ Model which somehow turned out to be double/+1/3 the price (Aventis has the same issue)

i‘ll make my own by putting the old one on a bigger base. Additionally I‘ll add a few spare NH models

On 11/10/2018 at 8:07 AM, MrRoff said:

What's your current list? 

Shroudguard Battalion:

• Knight of Shrouds as General with Ruler of the Spirit Hosts and Midnight Tome
    • 2 x 5 Bladegheist Revenants
  • Lady Olander
  • Kurdoss Valentian
  • Guardian of Souls with Wychlight Lantern
  • Spirit Torment
    • 2 Chain Ghasts
  • The Brair Queen
    • 6 Thorns of the Brair Queen
  • 20 Chainrasp Horde
  • 10 Grimghast Reapers
  • 3 Spirit Hosts
  • 8 Glaivewraith Stalkers

Endless spells:

• Suffocating Gravetide
  • Quicksilver Swords
  • Aethervoid Pendulum 

Just finished converting up mine. I had bought multiple soul wars sets so used extra pieces from it to make the "old" black coach fill out the larger base but in a way that makes it more functional on the tabletop than the monstrosity that GW made. Amazing model, but just not practical on the table. 

image.jpg.aa41991d7824e7b7a2f787689f2184ff.jpg

Archived