Questions for a potential Slaves to Darkness army

Sabotage!

Hey all,

My wife and I are starting AoS painting projects for the new year and I'm having some issues deciding on an army (she is firmly set for Nighthaunt), and Slaves to Darkness are a faction I'm pretty interested in (Moon Clan being the other, but I'm waiting to see what the new stuff looks like). My main issue is that I want to build a Tzeentch/Khorne mixed force and use the artifact that gives your general all the Chaos keywords. However I noticed that the Darkoath heroes are also Slaves to Darkness, and it has me concerned that when the new Darkoath book comes out that StDs will be folded into the book and have a new set of artifacts. If that happens I'd end up with a pretty disjointed army.

Do you think it would be better to do a mono-god force and just use their respective battletome (IE do Disciples of Tzeentch and just use mostly Tzeentch StD units) to reduce chances of have an army that plays in a disjointed manner?

Slaves is a pretty disjointed faction.  The heroes aren't that great and command abilities are few and far between.  A lot of the units mix well into the god specific factions once you mark them and some are very useful.  Knights, marauders,  warriors with shields, warshrine, daemon prince are all great units and don't come from allies pool.  But they don't fit into the good battalions so they aren't the most competitive choices.  Just things you can take to fill out some extra points.

Starting from scratch I'd shy away from them and go for a more god centric faction for the awesome allegiance abilities and summoning.  You can always add in your favorite units later. 

Khorne and Tzeentch can't really ally.  You can get tzaangors through the beast of chaos faction keyword as allies which does give you access to shaman, enlightened, skyfires, but you are limited to just 400 pts in a 2000 point list.  But that only works for khorne.  Tzeentch has no way to ally in khorne.  Khorne - nurgle are buddies and Tzeentch - slaanesh.  You have to run grand alliance chaos if you really want to mix and match.  

Also keep in mind that we have 2 Dark Oath minis so far...and interestingly, neither can take Chaos Marks.

But even if DO and Slaves are "separate", whether you like it or not Slaves are an underpowered faction. You can still have fun with them, but you do essentially have a half baked GHB Allegiance. GW really wants to push Mono God armies, or Everchosen.

Thank you both for your replies,

I definitely appreciate the feedback. I wasn't aware that Khorne and Tzeentch didn't ally, I thought Tzeentch and Nurgle were enemies, and Slaanesh and Khorne were. Though admittedly I haven't followed the AoS fluff that closely and am basing most of my assumption on Old World fluff.

That is a good point Kenshin on the Dark Oath minis, maybe they won't even be able to devote to a god at all.

I'm not really looking for a super competitive army, just something that functions fairly well within itself, so I'm not super concerned about missing out on the "must have battalions." Generally I'll just be playing pretty casually with friends and my wife, but based on your the feedback you two have given I'll probably just go with Disciples of Tzeentch. I like the army quite a bit, and that way I won't have to worry about having an underdeveloped army or my army getting invalidated when the Dark Oath book comes out.

On 10/12/2018 at 9:02 PM, kenshin620 said:

Also keep in mind that we have 2 Dark Oath minis so far...and interestingly, neither can take Chaos Marks.

But even if DO and Slaves are "separate", whether you like it or not Slaves are an underpowered faction. You can still have fun with them, but you do essentially have a half baked GHB Allegiance. GW really wants to push Mono God armies, or Everchosen.

I wouldn't say everchosen, they have no allegiance abilities to my knowledge, only diff between them an slaves is slaves has allegiance abilities and everchosen get archaon. Dark oath will probably get their own battletome considering two of the 4 malign portents models already have battletomes/army expansions. Darkoath will probably be the true undivided faction with no mark mechanics and focus more on the brutal glory seeking and viking style fight for survival. They'll probably incorporate a system similar to slaves gifts from the gods. Slaves as it is might as well be generic chaos filler as all their units can join other armies using their mark mechanic. Albeit if darkoath is markless then it should still be able to have some way of taking slaves units and archaon with them also falling under the umbrella of undivided.

@Sabotage! I run a fun and fairly casual undivided list using the darkoath allegiance. The bulk of my army is warriors, knights and marauders (both horse and foot), with a warshrine, gorebeast chariot and chosen for good measure, I run different marks on different units and several heroes for full mark coverage. I also ally in valkia, the masque of slaanesh and the ogrid thaumaturge using my 400pts of allies to give a more undivided feel and have some hero representation for the gods. Slaves can be fun but aren't flexible enough with their rules to be competitive. If non slaves heroes could also benefit from gifts or provide the reroll buff to units with matching keywords then i could see them doing better. Fingers crossed that darkoath get's a battletome and makes undivided chaos a viable competitive choice.

@Lucky Snake Eyes Good to know. I probably won't be playing super competitively, but it seems like factions that haven't gotten any battletome support yet often leave a lot to be desired. Hopefully when Darkoath comes out the book will be more than just barbarians and the Slaves will get wrapped into it. My vision of a Chaos army is something akin to the old "Hordes of Chaos" which included various units who followed different gods (or undivided), joined by beastmen, ogres, and trolls united by a leader or leaders. It seems that kind of build is discouraged under the new rules, but I suppose it's best to wait and see what happens with Darkoath.

• LOVE IT! 2

• 1 month later...

I have an itchy trigger finger for an Everchosen Motrals type army........however, it can wait until we get new Chaos Warrior and Chosen models. When that day comes I will be going all in in the new Chaos mortals army. 

Edited by Gibs

On 10/16/2018 at 8:49 PM, Sabotage! said:

@Lucky Snake Eyes Good to know. I probably won't be playing super competitively, but it seems like factions that haven't gotten any battletome support yet often leave a lot to be desired. Hopefully when Darkoath comes out the book will be more than just barbarians and the Slaves will get wrapped into it. My vision of a Chaos army is something akin to the old "Hordes of Chaos" which included various units who followed different gods (or undivided), joined by beastmen, ogres, and trolls united by a leader or leaders. It seems that kind of build is discouraged under the new rules, but I suppose it's best to wait and see what happens with Darkoath.

This sounds like a great vision and would make an awesome army, competitive or not I would say you’re still better off following the plan you have in your head and enjoying it.

Tzeentch and Nurgle/ Khorne and slaanesh are the main enemies, but Tzeentch and Khorne are still kinda...Iffy. They DO ally from time to time, but it almost always ends in betrayal, either from Tzeentch being Tzeentch or Khorne not being capable of not challenging someone to martial combat for more than 0.0048 seconds.

Edited by Kazimer

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Sorry for coming late...

I collect slaves to darkness, but more of a heavily armoured type, with a lot of warriors and lords. I shocked myself at how effective 800 points of warriors is , but I am currently working on a more barbarian horde. Just one tip- always have a warshrine.