Brand New IronJawz/Destruction player

Tip4Tap

Hey guys,

My names James and I am looking to get started in the world of AoS. I have chosen IronJawz and Destruction as my race to play.

I'm pretty competitive and my local Games Workshop has some really good/competitive players, as such I am looking for a decent 2000 point starting army. After buying and reading the Generals Handbook a few times I think I've come up with a good 2000 point list. However, I do have a few questions and as I'm a brand new player and don't owner any models yet I'm hesitant to buy anything without feedback. 

This is the list I've come up with so far.

Megaboss on Maw-krusha:  (Artefact: Talisman of Preservation)

Megaboss: (Trait: Ravager. Artefact: Battle Brew)

Warchanter

Weirdnob Shaman

10 Brutes (not sure on weapon loadouts)

5 Brutes (not sure on weapon loadouts)

5 Brutes (not sure on weapon loadouts)

10 Ardboyz (not sure on weapon loadouts)

3 Gore-gruntas (not sure on weapon loadouts)

Ironfist

Pretty sure (if my maths is correct) this is 2000 points exactly. How does this list look to you guys? Will it stand up against other lists out there/lists that you have faced? Also any help regarding the weapon loadouts would be really appreciated.

Another question I have is does the movement benefit from the Ironfist war scroll stack with the rampaging destroyers and ravager ability? E.G. can I move d6 for the ironfist then roll a dice and +2 for the rampaging destroyer and ravager abilities and then move the normal amount and charge all in one turn?

Sorry if that seems like a really noob question, like I said, I'm completely new and I haven't had a chance to buy the ironjawz/destruction book yet.

Thanks for all the help and feedback in advance. James

I've also heard crazy things about the Bonesplitterz arrow boys. They have 2 shots normally and come in at 10 for 100 points (I think). When the unit has over 20 models it becomes 3 shots each. So for 400 points, thats 2 wound models firing 120 shots per turn. On top of that a friend told me about a battalion that allows one unit to fire twice (once in the hero phase) so thats 240 shots.

Just wondering if anyone had tried this out?

Welcome to the green side buddy. I'm a Bonesplittaz player and you are correct. It's the Kunnin' Rukk battalion (1 big boss, 2-5 units from either savage Orruks or arrow boyz) and yes 3 shots each if 20+ models.

Dunno about themz Ironjaws, dese not proper Orruks [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bah Runty Bonesplitterz ain't proppa! Ironjawz iz best, Bonesplitterz shootin' der weedy arrerz ain't runnin' around naked wiv nuffin' but paint on! Stoopid gitz, Ironjawz wear proppa Pigiron armor and have 'uge choppaz!

Your list looks good to me! You may want to consider giving the unit of 10 Brutes Jagged Gore-hackaz, units of 5 Choppas, and take as many Gore-choppaz as you can (these names are so similar I always get them mixed up!). Also may want to consider taking Meteoric Hammerblade on the Cabbage (Mawkrusha). 

Arboyz should have the Musician, Banner and Idol. I've so far decked all mine out with Big Choppaz, but I haven't been super impressed. I've considered giving them all shields and using them as a screen for the unit of 10 Brutes.

Hey there James! List looks ded ard, standard ironjawz 2000 points. We actually have a couple threads on competitive uses of ironjawz and greenskin list building here. I would second giving the larger mob two handers, and the others double choppas.

Hey James,

Firstly sorry for almost derailing your thread! Oops [emoji6]

Second, from what I've seen from Ironjaws players your list looks solid.

I get the impression that gore-gruntas are personal taste, as in some folks like some dont. Everything else is good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey James and welcome to the Waaagh!

As previously stated, 10+ brutes should have gore-hackas, 5 brutes should have choppas, gore-gruntas should have choppas, and ard boyz can vary a bit. Some people like to do 4-6 shields and the rest 2 handed choppas. Yes ard boyz can take a mix of weapons unlike other units! They like to be prepared lol.

To answer your question on the extra movements, yes they stack. Orruk movement being only 4" is a lie.

Honestly, I think that list looks pretty good. Remember to keep your forces together when you can. Your units get so much better when they work together with their synergies. The 10 brutes work best with the Megaboss with them and the warchanter buffing them, and if you want then add mysic shield to them for a 3+ save!

Thanks for the replies guys!

After looking online and reading the generals handbook I'm not completely sold on the idea of the 3 Gore Gruntas. They are 180 points for 3 and I'm not sure I'd see a return in points for them, they don't seem that good on paper compared with other things I could get for the points. For example with the points they cost I could take an extra 10 Ardboys or 5 brutes.

However, seeing as I've never actually played a single game of AoS or even seen the Ironjawz in combat,  perhaps someone more qualified could give me an idea of how good Gore Gruntas are and if they are worth the 180 points?

I'm no expert, but for what I've seen on reports and forums, they're not killy at all.

That doesn't mean they don't have their advantages:

- They can pin a unit til the boyz come.

- They're fast, that's nice in so many ways (capturing, hunting, helping in combats...)

- They suffer less from battleshock

Most important, they add variety to a really limited troop selection (talking about Ironjawz). For that only reason, I always will have at least 1 unit on all my lists, but probably not more than this single one.

3 hours ago, Tip4Tap said:

After looking online and reading the generals handbook I'm not completely sold on the idea of the 3 Gore Gruntas. They are 180 points for 3 and I'm not sure I'd see a return in points for them, they don't seem that good on paper compared with other things I could get for the points. For example with the points they cost I could take an extra 10 Ardboys or 5 brutes.

However, seeing as I've never actually played a single game of AoS or even seen the Ironjawz in combat,  perhaps someone more qualified could give me an idea of how good Gore Gruntas are and if they are worth the 180 points?

They have their uses. Played vs blood bound on Thursday. 

Turn one I go first and move everything forward sending the gore gruntas up the flank 2 d6 +2 +9 then a 2d6 charge into the slaughter priest. Almost kill the slaughter priest outright. He sends over his mighty lord of khorne to help out while moving the bulk of his force up the middle to engage me. 

I end up only loosing 1 gore grunta to reality splitting axe after 3 rounds of combat (2 with the mighty lord of khorne.)

I then move them out of combat with my ironfist formation and move them 9 inches into the middle of the board. I win priority and charge them into the back of the combat in the middle which was in my favour to begin wit has. 

(Just re-wrote the above for clarity)  you can't shoot or charge in the same turn as you retreat. You can move though if you use an ability to leave combat) 

For a 2000 point game, I am thinking abound running a unit of 6 with Choppas. This is probably the closes we can get to the hammer and anvil, in the sense that our force is really fast, but these guys are faster and don't die to much in one turn. They can hold something still and if you want to take them out of the way after one turn, rampaging destruction/ironfist in the hero phase to get them out of danger. 

52 minutes ago, N_Watson said:

...I then won priority and used ironfist formation to move them out of combat, re positioned them with their 9 inch move and made a charge into the back of the fight in the middle. Got the mounts doing d3 wounds on that charge and just slaughtered the entire force in the middle of the board. (I also managed to get the megaboss Waaggh ability off in the hero phase giving my brutes, ardboys, warchanter and the mega boss an extra attack each. It was absurd....

Can we do that?!?!?

That's awesome!

26 minutes ago, Dez said:

Nope, moving out of combat in any phase counts as a retreat :/

Charge was in my next turn. You can use the formation to retreat and then move. You just can't shoot or charge after retreating. 

So if I'm reading the FAQ right, you can roll a 4 to leave combat, move 9 inches and then in you next turn, charge?  

On ‎30‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 0:27 PM, Tip4Tap said:

Firstly, welcome.

Seems like you've had some good chat and responses from some of the other Megabosses here already!

I always like to include a unit of Gore-gruntas in my list as I really love the models. However, after reading your posts it seems that you are super keen to max out on the perceived "best" choices. Whilst this is not a mentality I share or encourage nowadays, I get where you are coming from.

With that in mind, I'd advise that Gore-gruntas might not be for you. They are, IMO, the weakest of the 3 battleline units and cannot be relied upon to achieve an awful lot!! Still, they add some variety and whilst the army as a whole is quick, do provide some added manoeuvrability.

I'm still other players will tell you the opposite and that they are the best. Getting a variety of opinions may help you make your decision.

I'd say rather than worrying about what's the most powerful build (Spoiler; it's not Ironjawz full stop!!), try and get a few games under your belt, perhaps borrowing some models in the local GW you mentioned. Get a feel for the game and how it plays for you. This will help you develop and play style and in turn the units that you may enjoy using (or indeed get the most out of) yourself.

Have fun! :D 

7 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Firstly, welcome.

Seems like you've had some good chat and responses from some of the other Megabosses here already!

I always like to include a unit of Gore-gruntas in my list as I really love the models. However, after reading your posts it seems that you are super keen to max out on the perceived "best" choices. Whilst this is not a mentality I share or encourage nowadays, I get where you are coming from.

With that in mind, I'd advise that Gore-gruntas might not be for you. They are, IMO, the weakest of the 3 battleline units and cannot be relied upon to achieve an awful lot!! Still, they add some variety and whilst the army as a whole is quick, do provide some added manoeuvrability.

I'm still other players will tell you the opposite and that they are the best. Getting a variety of opinions may help you make your decision.

I'd say rather than worrying about what's the most powerful build (Spoiler; it's not Ironjawz full stop!!), try and get a few games under your belt, perhaps borrowing some models in the local GW you mentioned. Get a feel for the game and how it plays for you. This will help you develop and play style and in turn the units that you may enjoy using (or indeed get the most out of) yourself.

Have fun! :D 

I agree with what you are saying completely and normally I wouldn't just want the most competitive list. However, from talking to some of the guys at my local GW, they seem to be pretty competitive. With that in mind, I'm thinking about two lists, one for competitive play and one for fun, relaxed play.

I do need to get some games under my belt, you are right there. I don't even know if Destruction/Ironjawz are right for me, having never played a game of AoS. I just like the way they look and the rules for them seem pretty cool.

Archived