Black Library and Kindle

offroadfury

Just make sure that you buy them from the Kindle Store (ergo on Amazon) and not from the Black Library itself and you will be fine! 

Otherwise yes you will miss them on the shelf, but the ability to carry hundreds/thousands of books stored on the kindle itself plus get access to everything you've purchased direct from Amazon with even a weak internet connection - that you will find fantastic! Heck go on holiday - on the trains - to a friend - wherever you go! 

Kindles are fantastic and if you've not yet used one then the e-ink is really outstanding compared to plain text. The Paperwite built in light is also great; you can set it very dim or bright to suit the environment. Plus it lets you easily read in dimmer conditions or full dark without the glare of a backlight (like LCD screens) and much more clearly and easily than using a stand lamp to read a paperback. 

These days a lot of my general reading books (novels) are bought in ebook format - its just easier on storage space. I still really love actual books, but with limited storage the ebook is a godsend. 

PS don't forget to check out this thread

And remember a lot of classic stories are getting put into cheaper collected editions (which sometimes also have short stories not published any more or are only published in things like a battletome or other release). So do keep an eye out for them. AT this stage I'd honestly avoid buying anything that isn't in a collected volume (GW has another 5 or so coming out next year for Classic fantasy alone) 

11 hours ago, Overread said:

Yep the Black Library format works with Apple units, but not too well with Kindle e-readers. But the Amazon books are all in their Kindle ebook format so work without any trouble at all. 

Black Library offer 2 formats - epub and mobi, the mobi format has worked on my Kindle without any issues at all.

I tend to buy all my ebooks from Black Library.  The main reason is that because you have a physical file you can put it onto two devices, so I can put a copy onto my iPad in addition to my Kindle.  Secondly (and this is a rumour rather than hard fact) is that I heard that authors get a slightly better cut of money for each book sold on the BL website as opposed to Amazon.

I'm not a fan of the e-readers, ad they are now, I prefer use a tablet or the smartphone to use the kindle app, other than using the Kindle (or similar one).

Notice that it's my being unsatisfied about the e-readers, not about the digital books.

I prefer to by he paperbooks, and here anyway I agree to prefer the collection editions: more books, less expensive.

Here, I'd continue to hope the mix selling about digital books and paperbooks, but it's my fantasy^^

Anyway, if I have to decide about buying I'd go to the kindle directly, more cause I prefer to deal to Amazon and I prefer not to upload files, but have directly at hand. Anyway you can use the Kindle app on different devices, 

It would be different if you'd want to use different apps to read them.

You can definitely buy the books straight from BL and put them on a Kindle paperwhite.  You will have to transfer the files yourself with a USB but that's not too bad.  I have waaaaay too many books, have bought them all on BL.com and transferred over to my paperwhite.  Quality is great.

9 hours ago, deynon said:

Here, I'd continue to hope the mix selling about digital books and paperbooks, but it's my fantasy^^

Although less people buy paperbacks, there's still a massive demand for them so I honestly can't see paperbacks vanishing any time soon.  Interestingly they've dropped the digital version of White Dwarf and gone over to the physical magazine recently too.

48 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Although less people buy paperbacks, there's still a massive demand for them so I honestly can't see paperbacks vanishing any time soon.  Interestingly they've dropped the digital version of White Dwarf and gone over to the physical magazine recently too.

No, what I mean is that if you buy the paperbook you can have a QR code or similar to be able to download a free or discounted digital version. And if you buy a digital one you can have a discount on the paperbook one. Something similar.

What I don't understand about BL anyway is why digital book usually cost more than paperbook ones. Except collector options.

1 hour ago, deynon said:

No, what I mean is that if you buy the paperbook you can have a QR code or similar to be able to download a free or discounted digital version. And if you buy a digital one you can have a discount on the paperbook one. Something similar.

What I don't understand about BL anyway is why digital book usually cost more than paperbook ones. Except collector options.

Ah!  Got the wrong end of the stick there ;)  That would be pretty sweet if it were the case.

It's because BL release a hardbacked version of the book a few months before the mass market paperback and the ebook is priced to match that.  Would agree that it's incredibly frustrating though.

3 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Ah!  Got the wrong end of the stick there ;)  That would be pretty sweet if it were the case.

It's because BL release a hardbacked version of the book a few months before the mass market paperback and the ebook is priced to match that.  Would agree that it's incredibly frustrating though.

Doesn't change the feeling anyway. Softcover, Hardcover and limited editions have always been on the market. I decided for example to by the Warhammer chronicles about End Times when I was not anymore able to find the hardcovers of the original books (and I had the BL Nagash book one only).  About The warhammer end times books (GW ones, not the BL)  even if it existed the soft cover about them I wanted the hardcover complete version of them and I bought all 5 of them (and they were quite more expensive) even if only almost limited editions.

In any way it doesn't affect the digital version, that should be cheaper evn only considering that you don't have to print them, but once realised the file you're ok. Morever it's even easier cause you pratically realise the script when the book is created to be sent to print... so...

Another reason the price might be higher is that physical books and ebooks are taxed differently in the UK. Physical books are in a much lower tax bracket, whilst ebooks are taxed at a much higher value. So if GW wanted to keep the same profit margin then they've got to price the ebook higher than the physical. 

1 minute ago, deynon said:

In any way it doesn't affect the digital version, that should be cheaper evn only considering that you don't have to print them, but once realised the file you're ok. Morever it's even easier cause you pratically realise the script when the book is created to be sent to print... so...

This is more a general publishing comment than just black library.  Essentially there is a balance of value vs availability vs costs.  For print costs are printing and storage/distribution, but for ebook value is seen as higher to the reader due to instant access when you want to buy it.  Essentially publishers have decided ebooks are worth the same as print books, and that is VERY unlikely to change.

4 minutes ago, stato said:

This is more a general publishing comment than just black library.  Essentially there is a balance of value vs availability vs costs.  For print costs are printing and storage/distribution, but for ebook value is seen as higher to the reader due to instant access when you want to buy it.  Essentially publishers have decided ebooks are worth the same as print books, and that is VERY unlikely to change.

I worked for a publishing company around the time ebooks and digital magazines were starting to emerge and there were lots of really interesting debates about how to price digital publications in comparison to physical ones.  Ultimately a publication requires the same amount of resource to write, regardless of the format.  Physical books require a print run and being shipped to distribution hubs.  Digital needs a certain amount of optimisation and permanent electronic storage.  To cut a long story short, most companies just said that if a publication was worth X physically it should be worth the same digitally and that seems to have followed through.  This also factors in a certain amount of fraud that exists where a digital publication is super easy to distribute.

2 minutes ago, stato said:

It's a bit different.  Publishers have not decided the worth, simply they want to do the same as books gaining more. The problem there sits on the cloning of the digital books compared to the paperbook, it's their weakness in selling. So they raise the price, but the advantage of the digital was their being cheaper as an incentive in reading. I'm used to read quite a lot, but I'm a sort of black sheep. 

The publishers instead of improve the DRM for their products decided to raise the cost of the digital books. Before, cheaper price where almost antipirates cause it wasn't worth to find a black market copy of the book, now with the raised prices is more convenient the "black market" of digital books instead of even buying the paperbook.

2 minutes ago, Overread said:

Also the print costs for most major publisher are actually very small. Bulk printing and bulk shipping built into a distribution network means that its very low cost to produce the paperback and hardback. 

I worked in the printing book industry. The cost about producing paperbook is anyway much heavier than the digital books. 

Anyway sorry, I brought the subject from the BL theme to the general book industry^^
I love books so I'm always pissed off by seeing the development the industry is proceeding on about them.

Archived