Wargames Con final standings.

James S

Thought I would share the final results from the Wargames Con GT in Austin, Texas.

Here are the final standings for the WarGamesCon Age of Sigmar GT

1 Michael Vagenos - 170 Nurgle Best Overall
2 Justin Boyd - 168 Bonesplitterz Best General
3 Dan Norris - 161 Moonclan Grots Coolest Army (Tie), Best Sportsmanship (Tie)
4 Matt Taylor - 158 Khorne Best Painted Runner-Up
5 Jeremy Cooper - 156 Seraphon Best Sportsmanship (Tie)
6 Jace Furches - 155 Nighthaunt
Brandon Sullivan - 155 Nurgle
8 Andrew Carlson - 151 Daughters of Khaine Best Sportsmanship (Tie)
9 James West - 145 Daughters of Khaine Best Painted
10 James Southerland - 141 Gutbusters Coolest Army (Tie), Best Sportsmanship (Tie)
11 Eric Oetker - 135 Khorne
Greg Goede - 135 Sylvaneth
13 Christopher Wroblewski - 131 Ironjawz Best Sportsmanship (Tie)
14 Mikey Behgam - 128 Daughters of Khaine
Michael Lazarus - 128 Khorne
Seth Hamilton - 128 Grand Host of Nagash 
17 Jay Sailors - 121 Slaanesh
CJ Banda - 121 Stormcast Eternals 
19 Jeffrey Visgaitis - 115 Khorne
20 Jyoji Fee - 114 Tzeentch
Daniel Dawson - 114 Nurgle
22 Brian Henderon- 108 Gutbusters
Austin Nelson - 108 Idoneth Deepkin
Daniel Landrum - 108 Stormcast Eternals
Dimitri Horchard - 108 Stormcast Eternals
James Miller - 108 Skaven Skryre
27 Paul Adams - 101 Ironjawz
Matt Waldron - 101 Sylvaneth
29 Christopher Schelling - 98 Spiderfang Grots Best Painted Runner-Up
30 Jimmy Sides - 97 Seraphon Best Sportsmanship (Tie)
31 Keith Wood - 94 Ironjawz
32 Cameron Pinckard - 88 Stormcast Eternals
33 Jon Vandermeer - 87 Stormcast Eternals
Jeff Gondeck - 87 Tzeentch
35 Nathan Stickney - 86 Wanderers
36 Thomas Abbate - 83 Legion of Sacrament
Robert Stehle - 83 Idoneth Deepkin
38 Brian Rowe - 76 Stormcast Eternals
39 Kaidyn Johnson - 74 Grand Host of Nagash
Jay Winborn - 74 Nurgle
41 Evan Nelson - 67 Skaven Pestilens
42 Patrick Hagar - 47 Khorne
Jalen Churley - 47 Sylvaneth
44 Matthew Johnson - 46 Ironjawz
45 Aaron Sauceda - DNF Nurgle
Billy Mondragon - DNF Nurgle
Cameron Wassom - DNF Stormcast Eternals
Andrew Thompson - DNF Stormcast Eternals
Mike Brandt - DNF Stormcast Eternals
Griffin Bodell - DNF Nighthaunt
Bryan Harrington - DNF Seraphon
David Lewis - DNF Khorne

Thanks for the detailed information :)

One thing I've noticed is that Stormcast don't seem to be doing outstandingly well in tournaments (though maybe I just missed the tournaments they have done well in). I've not read the battletome, so does anyone know of any reason for their placements?   

(Very cool to see gutbusters and moonclan high up) 

Nurgle and daughters taking four spots in the top ten isn't too surprising, but moonclan and bonesplitters in the top 3?! That's awesome. ?

I'm surprised there were only a few death entries though. From what I'm hearing, death is shaping up as tier 1 alongside nurgle and daughters. Is there a break down of the lists somewhere?

56 minutes ago, Waiyuren said:

Nurgle and daughters taking four spots in the top ten isn't too surprising, but moonclan and bonesplitters in the top 3?! That's awesome. ?

I'm surprised there were only a few death entries though. From what I'm hearing, death is shaping up as tier 1 alongside nurgle and daughters. Is there a break down of the lists somewhere?

I'll ask the TO and see what I can do to post them up. Here's what I can remember:

1st Nurgle-2 units of 40 plague Rats, 3 units of 40 marauders, Rotigus, GUO. Just swarmed objectives and saved all CP for battleshock tests.

2nd Savage Orcs-Kopp Ruck w/ Idol of Gork

3rd Moonclan- 

Grot Boss with Ravager & Tricksey Amulet

Fungoid Shaman

Grot Shaman

20 Grots with Spears, Nets, and full command

5 Squig Hoppers

15 Cave Squigs

4 Herders

2 Mangler Squigs

Colossal Squig

2 Squig Gobbas (Mine are Fanatic Flingas)

3 Fanatics

Chronomantic Cogs

1950 points (got 4 out of 5 triumphs and the extra command ability was huge for the first turn charge)

4th Khorne- War Mammoth, lots of bodies I think.

5th Seraphon- Uber summoning and some Bastilidons

8th DoK- Two Cauldrons and all Snakes, Temple Nest

9th DoK- 90-120 Witches and two Cauldrons.

10th- Gutbusters, my list attached.

I did a two hour break down of my games on YouTube talking about how great the experience was. I can post the link if anyone is interested.

Ill try to find more.

IMG_2511.PNG

2 hours ago, Enoby said:

Thanks for the detailed information :)

One thing I've noticed is that Stormcast don't seem to be doing outstandingly well in tournaments (though maybe I just missed the tournaments they have done well in). I've not read the battletome, so does anyone know of any reason for their placements?   

(Very cool to see gutbusters and moonclan high up) 

I lost my first game to teleporting/Shooty Stormcast. As for why they didn't dominate, I have no idea. They definitely have the tools to do it.

Stormcast have very little defense against mortal wound spam. Only one of the storm hosts have an aura that provides a 6+ save against wounds so anything that can get past any potential no magic scrolls if they take a Knight or a sacrosanct chamber hero there is very little they can do but remove models off the table. Most of the top armies had mortal wound abilities or ways to throw more damage then they could handle.

And as @danimo said Total commitment is a rough time for Stormcast because they have to fully deploy on the table so no deepstriking without the translocation prayer from a knight venator

edit: I do have all the lists from the TO I’ll get them in a doc and post link when I get home in couple of hours

Also agree with the other voices that are surprised that Stormcast are doing much better then they are right now. I agree Total Commitment is rubbish for most Stormcast lists forcing them to be on the table. Do we think they just struggle against some of top tier lists right now, or lack of people championing them etc? All that said they win BOBO quite recently.

Stormcast do struggle against the top tier armies right now (and as mentioned Total Commitment is just really poor for them to play). They got a solid boost from the Sequitors and Evocators release, but the removal of nearly every good battalion really hurt them more than a lot of people realize - a lot of their remaining options revolve completely around Gavriel alpha-strikes. I'm not surprised to see them in the middle of the pack, but it does look like they had a particularly poor showing for 9/52 players. 

More importantly, when was the last time we saw 3 Destruction lists in the Top 10?!?!?  2016?

My post saying the KO are bad was deleted for being "too negative" and I just want to say one thing. It was deleted because we can't make sweeping claims they are bad form one tournament? Then why is everyone else allowed to do that and make big sweeping statements about their armies from the results of one tournament? It sounded negative because I actually care about having the most balanced game we can get, and its not possible if we begin to censor discussions like deleting my post. 

Its not fair and its doesn't create a healthy environment for constructive criticism. 

I absolutely agree with your sentiment Barkanaut. whilst "bad"is a little non-specific. Obviously I havent been able to see your post, but if you went into specifics perhaps it may have been considered less 'negative' although I too have been on the receiving end of heavy handed mods on these forums.

I dont think anyone could disagree that KO are in a bad place and have been for a while when it comes to the competitive scene.

22 hours ago, Freejack02 said:

More importantly, when was the last time we saw 3 Destruction lists in the Top 10?!?!?  2016?

Must be a Texas thing. Lol. Truth is the two guys in top 5 were playing some good lists that they knew how to play and use well. I was that guy that went into the loser bracket early and then just battled my way up the chart. 

I wonder if a lot of the SCE guys just didn't have a lot of seat time with their armies yet to get the full ins and outs if that makes any sense.

Okay things that are not helping KO right now and just general weirdness really holding them back. 

1. Their ships guns are all the same damage even though some ships are clearly bigger with bigger guns. Why? 

2. Our ships are described as being very heavily armored to protect the valuable investment. Why is the save so bad? 

3. For a shooting army a 4+ on so much stuff hurts us. We have no 3+ shooting or ways to get it. 

4. Our costs are really high for almost everything. We pay the multi-role price and boy is it expensive for a frigate. This might be less of an issue with the right stats. 

5. No melee units of any kind means we're locked into mono builds. 

6. Lack of buffs and synergies in our units. In particular weak hero buffs. 

7. Lackluster port rules for most of the ports. Some of the stuff we can do only once that other armies can do all game. 

If anyone else has stuff to add that would be great. 

Archived