1K Nighthaunt Cavalry

Mr. White

I currently have 1K of FEC and am starting to become a little interested in adding 1K of Nighthaunt for a combined GA Death force. Particularly Nighthaunt cavalry only if possible. An army of spectral steeds seems cool to me.

I don't have any of the new AoS2 rulebooks or battletomes, so does anyone have any idea what combination of heroes and battleline I would need to get to about 1K of mounted Nighthaunt models?

Thanks!

Ez, basically copy paste deathriders battalion. This is what i would run at 1k.

Dreadblade harrow

2x5 hexwraiths 

Black Coach 

This will cost you 830 points including the cost of the battalion, leaving space for a kosoes and 30p to use on endless spells, if you put a midnight tome artefact on the Dreadblade harrow (which makes it a wizard). 

100% mounted army. 

All except the kosoes gets +1 to charge and gets to fight twice on an unmodified charge roll of 9 (instead of 10). 

1 hour ago, Mr. White said:

I currently have 1K of FEC and am starting to become a little interested in adding 1K of Nighthaunt for a combined GA Death force. Particularly Nighthaunt cavalry only if possible. An army of spectral steeds seems cool to me.

I don't have any of the new AoS2 rulebooks or battletomes, so does anyone have any idea what combination of heroes and battleline I would need to get to about 1K of mounted Nighthaunt models?

Thanks!

Correct me if I am wrong but you want to add 1k Nighthaunts to an existing FEC army?  What are you using as FEC Battle Line?  The only Nighthaunt that is battle line outside of the Nighthaunt alliance is Chainrasps.  If you have three units of ghouls in your FEC I am pretty sure those are Battle Line in united Death.

If so you can do as KoalaSnok suggests, otherwise you need three units of Chainrasps.

@Nevar Correct, ghouls as battleline for my current 1K FEC force. I was under the impression that one of the Nighthaunt heroes allows for mounted nighthaunt as battleline, so for my 1K Nighthaunt they would be mounted.

I guess my thinking was, I would build two separate 1K army lists, then just combine them for 2K games if needed.

If I combined the two for 2K of combined undead, would the Nighthaunt hero not still allow the mounted nighthuant to count as battleline? So...ghouls and mounted nighthaunt being mounted battleline units for the combined army. Or would it have to be either all ghouls or all nighthaunt?

48 minutes ago, Mr. White said:

@Nevar Correct, ghouls as battleline for my current 1K FEC force. I was under the impression that one of the Nighthaunt heroes allows for mounted nighthaunt as battleline, so for my 1K Nighthaunt they would be mounted.

I guess my thinking was, I would build two separate 1K army lists, then just combine them for 2K games if needed.

If I combined the two for 2K of combined undead, would the Nighthaunt hero not still allow the mounted nighthuant to count as battleline? So...ghouls and mounted nighthaunt being mounted battleline units for the combined army. Or would it have to be either all ghouls or all nighthaunt?

You would have to play grand alliance Death in order to run 1K of each in the same list. The two armies can't even ally with each other.

There is only 1 generic battleline option in Nighthaunt. Chainrasp Hordes. The other 3 battleline options require you to play Nighthaunt allegiance for them to count as such (no character requirements).

Outside a GA list, the only way to run Nighthaunt and FEC together in Matched Play, is through a Legions of Nagash list, taking FEC as allies.

Yeah, I thought I would have to do this as Grand Alliance Death.

FEC allegiance only when I play them at 1k.

Nighthaunt allegiance when I play them at 1k.

Death Grand Alliance when I combine them at 2k.

But in the GA list...can the mounted nighthaunt be battleline? If not, what would be needed for a Nagash list for these two?

3 minutes ago, Mr. White said:

Yeah, I thought I would have to do this as Grand Alliance Death.

FEC allegiance only when I play them at 1k.

Nighthaunt allegiance when I play them at 1k.

Death Grand Alliance when I combine them at 2k.

But in the GA list...can the mounted nighthaunt be battleline? If not, what would be needed for a Nagash list for these two?

If you go GA, then your only battleline options will be Chainrasp Hordes and Ghouls (sticking with only FEC and Nighthaunt units). In Legions, your only option would be Chainrasp Hordes (again making your army pure Nighthaun/FEC).

The ONLY way to make Hexwraiths battleline, is to play Nighthaunt allegiance.

1 hour ago, Mr. White said:

Back to Open Play! ;)

In your 1k Nighthaunt list Hexwraiths are already battle line.

In your FEC list your ghouls are already battle line.

If you combined them can't you keep using Ghouls as battle line?  Are they not Battle Line for Grand Alliance Death?

30 minutes ago, Nevar said:

In your 1k Nighthaunt list Hexwraiths are already battle line.

In your FEC list your ghouls are already battle line.

If you combined them can't you keep using Ghouls as battle line?  Are they not Battle Line for Grand Alliance Death?

Yes they are, so provided you have 3 units of ghouls it will be fine to run as GA:Death at 2k. LoN is not an option in matched play if you want 1k of each, you would be limited to 400p of allied FEC. Oh, and some of the Nighthaunt units would have to be allies too.

13 minutes ago, Mr. White said:

Are these Grand Alliances requirements (3 units of ghouls) in the AoS2 core rulebook or GHB 2018?

Should be in GHB under matched play, 2000p games require you to have at least 3 units of battleline. For GA:Death that would be units which are battleline without any prerequisites - from FEC and Nighthaunt this means Ghouls or Chainrasp Hordes. Since you wanted the Nighthaunt part of your army to be cavalry i assume you would rather take your Ghouls ;)

The only issue with your plan, potentially, is battalions.  Deathriders is a nighthaunt battalion, I'm not sure it's legal in a plain death allegiance army.

If not, you might skip the formation, and the harrow, and go for something like:

Reikenor the Grimhailer (180)
 Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (140)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts 
- Artefact: Midnight Tome 
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
Black Coach (280)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)
Shyish Reaper (40)

I don't know for nighthaunt spells.  Maybe soulcage on reikenor, shademist or teather on kosoes?

Then you can shift between using this as a stand alone 1k 'knighthaunt' army or half of a combined 2k death army (provided the ghoul half has at least 3 units of crypt ghouls), with no worries about battalion allegiances.  Make the kosoes your general at 2k with the master of the black arts trait and it will even still be a wizard.

Maybe not the best army, that's a lot of expensive character and minster, and not a lot of total models and wounds.  Might be better off dropping the coach ans one of the endless spells to add 10 more hexwraiths, maybe 1x10, 2x5.  Then again, the coach is a really cool model.  The above list should play alright in a casual context, and look good doing it.

Even if the battalion thing proves not to be an issue, you still might prefer the reikenor.  I mean, if you're running a "knighthaunt" list, how could you *not* take the grimhailer?  He's the coolest nighthaunt cavalry model there is.

19 hours ago, KoalaSnok said:

Ez, basically copy paste deathriders battalion. This is what i would run at 1k.

Dreadblade harrow

2x5 hexwraiths 

Black Coach 

This will cost you 830 points including the cost of the battalion, leaving space for a kosoes and 30p to use on endless spells, if you put a midnight tome artefact on the Dreadblade harrow (which makes it a wizard). 

100% mounted army. 

All except the kosoes gets +1 to charge and gets to fight twice on an unmodified charge roll of 9 (instead of 10). 

That's really a way to round that army, although running 2 dreadblades allows for two artefact bearers. BC ain't a hero! Edit But kosoes isn't a named hero ?

Anyway love this list 100% running it

Archived