Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

15 minutes ago, Nico said:

I can think of a dozen reasons not to bring Rotbringers. They are exceptionally dull to play against and weak in the General's Handbook. The only reason to collect them pending a Nurgle Battletome (which might come out sooner than we'd think, who knows), is for Aesthetic reasons. 

Blight kings are ok. I wouldn't build an entire army out of them, but they can be decent at shredding hordes. Especially if you can stack +hit on them. I suppose you could make something reasonably "competitive" in a mixed chaos list that's mostly nurgle (It really does miss out by not having it's own battletome though). But you you're totally right that the army itself isn't particularly interesting to play.

"Walk forward, punch stuff, walk forward some more." 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Walk forward, punch stuff, walk forward some more." 

"Waddle."

You could also add "Pray that it doesn't have a 3+ rerollable (Kurnoth Hunters in cover) or 2+ rerollable (any Durthu or Ancient with Oaken Armour) save" to the list.

My first army was Nurgle mortals, so I know how weak they are.

8 minutes ago, Nico said:

"Waddle."

You could also add "Pray that it doesn't have a 3+ rerollable (Kurnoth Hunters in cover) or 2+ rerollable (any Durthu or Ancient with Oaken Armour) save" to the list.

My first army was Nurgle mortals, so I know how weak they are.

Other than having blight kings as battleline, whats the point of going mono-god on Nurgle? Chaos warriors are plenty decent battleline units(so are plague bearers), so having blightkings as battleline doesn't really seem worth the effort when you can mix n' match. Having a unit of blight kings? Ok. Like I said, super for shredding low armor save hordes. But for the life of me I can't think of a reason what you'd need 3 units of them. 

My alternate choice of Rotbringers is aesthetics only; I really like the models compared to other Nurgle/Chaos stuff. 

Thanks all around for the great answers to my original question, especially Mirage and Nico for the thorough responses. I'll probably continue with Sylvaneth since it sounds like there are more alternative lists than I assumed. And they sure are pretty!

2 hours ago, Shorewood said:

For those of you with Alarielle the Everqueen how do you transport her? I just picked her up and was wondering if any of you had any advice.

Large box, lots of foam. And I've not glued her on the beasty.. no magnets either the pin and hole thingie just works :D

So I'm joining an escalation league and will be running Sylvaneth.  We are starting at 500pts, going up to 1k, 1.5k, 2k and possibly beyond.  

I'm working toward Gnarlroot and you must take some of your units up from each previous army list.  I guess these aren't the most original lists but I'm looking for issues or advice.

For 500pts we only need one Battleline unit so I was thinking of these lists to aim for:

500PTS

Leaders
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Trait: Gift of Ghyran - Sylvaneth
- Artefact: Briarsheath 
- Deepwood Spell: Treesong

Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
- Sylvaneth Battleline

Units
3 x Tree Kin (100)

Scenery
Sylvaneth Wyldwood - Sylvaneth Allegiance (0)

1000PTS

Leaders
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Artefact: Ranu's Lamentiri 
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Branchwych (100)
- Artefact: The Silverwood Circlet 

Battleline
10 x Tree-Revenants (200)
- Sylvaneth Battleline
10 x Dryads (120)

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (180)
- Greatbows

Battalions
Household (20)
Gnarlroot Wargrove (80)

Scenery

1500PTS

Leaders
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
Branchwych (100)
Spirit of Durthu (400)

Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
- Sylvaneth Battleline
10 x Dryads (120)

Units
- Greatbows
- Scythes

Battalions
Household (20)
Gnarlroot Wargrove (80)

Scenery

2000PTS

Leaders
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
Branchwych (100)
Spirit of Durthu (400)

Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
- Sylvaneth Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
- Sylvaneth Battleline
10 x Dryads (120)

Units
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (360)
- Greatbows
- Scythes
- Scythes

Battalions
Household (20)
Gnarlroot Wargrove (80)
Forest Folk (60)

Scenery

I'm curious why you would go with Treesong as your Deepwood Spell on your Branchwych. It can be more difficult get off and limited by terrain and enemy models. I would go with either Throne of Vines to get that extra d3 for casting, or Regrowth to heal up your TLA, Son of Durthu, or Kurnoth Hunters.

Regrowth makes absolute sense on the TLA. And if he is your general, I'd even take Gift of Ghyran for a guaranteed healing of 1, and d3 wounds if within 3" of a Wyldwood. The Treesong just seems less than optimal of a spell. I've been watching the battle reports on Youtube, and there always seems to be so many terrain features on the boards that shoving around between one and three Citadel Woods of your Wyldwoods difficult to achieve. There always seems to be some pesky skull encrusted rocky outcropping, building, or enemy units around to keep it from being effective, plus the having to get it off on a 7 or higher. 

Ranu's is a good artifact for a TLA, or even the Silverwood Circlet. I also like Briarsheath as it makes even hitting a TLA more difficult from both melee and missile weapons.

I usually outfit my Branchwych with the Silverwood Circlet and the Regrowth Deepwood Spell as she can loiter around in the back and cast it on the TLA or Durthu from 24" away, keeping her out of range of just about every missile weapon and spell. As an individual model, she isn't pumping out the wounds like the TLA or Durthu, but she can sure keep their health up during a battle.

27 minutes ago, Shorewood said:

rule of one says otherwise I'm afraid. 

I think you misunderstood my post. There is nothing in the rules saying your TLA and Branchwych can't have the same spell. Yes, I would agree said TLA can't cast Regrowth twice in the same turn, even with the Gnarlroot ability to cast two spells in the same round. The TLA could cast Regrowth and Mystic Shield in the same round as they are different spells. And the TLA and Branchwych could both cast Regrowth in the same round. I don't see that the rule of one would limit that.

57 minutes ago, Bjarni St. said:

With the commonly obeyed matched play restrictions set forth in the general's handbook you can only attempt to cast each spell once per turn. If your gaming group doesn't use those then certainly you could spam it all day. 

I went back to reread the Generals' Handbook. For pitched battles, yes, the first rule of one does say one attempt at a spell per army per turn. The basic four page rules does not have that restriction. I won't argue the merits of such a rule other than to say it would hamper an army built around having a lot of Wizards in the field.

18 hours ago, TheKingInYellow said:

But only one can cast it so that seems less than optimal?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I'm very new to AoS and haven't played Sylvaneth yet.

No that is correct but if you really consider good healing coverage most important then giving it to both can be considered (I often give it to both the TLA and Drycha for example). Especially since I do not consider dwellers or the reaping (on someone without the circlet) very good spells. I've given the TLA a circlet and the reaping before but now I must say I prefer to have oaken armor and Gnarled warrior. 

Mossback: it's not that much of a problem since we get 6 additional possible spells which should cover most armies with up to 7-9 casters. Gnarlroot will get problems sooner.. but really.. more than 5 casters in 2000 point would be way overdoing it in any case.

20 hours ago, Mossback said:

I think you misunderstood my post. There is nothing in the rules saying your TLA and Branchwych can't have the same spell. Yes, I would agree said TLA can't cast Regrowth twice in the same turn, even with the Gnarlroot ability to cast two spells in the same round. The TLA could cast Regrowth and Mystic Shield in the same round as they are different spells. And the TLA and Branchwych could both cast Regrowth in the same round. I don't see that the rule of one would limit that.

I see the misunderstanding my apologies, I was under the impression you were infering about casting regrowth twice a turn.  You are of course correct in saying you can give regrowth to multiple wizards.  After all they all know mystic shield and arcane bolt.  

On 2/20/2017 at 2:15 AM, TheKingInYellow said:

So I'm joining an escalation league and will be running Sylvaneth.  We are starting at 500pts, going up to 1k, 1.5k, 2k and possibly beyond.  

I'm working toward Gnarlroot and you must take some of your units up from each previous army list.  I guess these aren't the most original lists but I'm looking for issues or advice.

For 500pts we only need one Battleline unit so I was thinking of these lists to aim for:

500PTS

Leaders
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General

Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
- Sylvaneth Battleline

Units
3 x Tree Kin (100)

Scenery

1000PTS

Leaders
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
Branchwych (100)

Battleline
10 x Tree-Revenants (200)
- Sylvaneth Battleline
10 x Dryads (120)

Units
- Greatbows

Battalions
Household (20)
Gnarlroot Wargrove (80)

Scenery

1500PTS

Leaders
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
Branchwych (100)
Spirit of Durthu (400)

Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
- Sylvaneth Battleline
10 x Dryads (120)

Units
- Greatbows
- Scythes

Battalions
Household (20)
Gnarlroot Wargrove (80)

Scenery

2000PTS

Leaders
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
Branchwych (100)
Spirit of Durthu (400)

Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
- Sylvaneth Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
- Sylvaneth Battleline
10 x Dryads (120)

Units
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (360)
- Greatbows
- Scythes
- Scythes

Battalions
Household (20)
Gnarlroot Wargrove (80)
Forest Folk (60)

Scenery

Not sure the battleline rules you are adopting but, the 1500 point list should have 3 no?

On 22/02/2017 at 5:48 AM, Mossback said:

The first line of the First Rule of One specifically says that 'Each spell can only be attempted once per turn rather than once per wizard per turn' so your TLA and Branchwych can't both cast Regrowth in the same turn.  They can both have the same spell though but only one may cast it.

Jimbo

2 hours ago, OlDirtyCosta said:

Not sure the battleline rules you are adopting but, the 1500 point list should have 3 no?

Ooo, possibly.  I thought it was 2 up to 1,999 and 3 at 2,000.  I really only need to get the 500pt list ready anyhow right now so I have time to adjust.

I meant to ask, why don't more people run Treekin?  For 100pts they look pretty good.

Archived