Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

Also, as@nico says; no artefacts is sad face.

Yeah - Sylvaneth have artefacts coming out of their ears because of the single drop battalions (which contain at least another battalion). Given that these are epic - can you imagine if Death had +1 to save on any hero - it's a real downside to have to bring a regular Treelord. Also he cannot score on 3 places of power.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The question is what to do with the loremaster when durthu is dead? Buff a kurnoth ?
Buff the Ancient, it works on the oh so unreliable shooting attack too.

Just a shame you can't reroll the d6 damage which his combat and shooting attacks share [emoji24]

Sent from the Hidden Enclaves via the Realmroots

6 hours ago, Gengis137 said:

By the way I'm playing a gnarlroot list and I'm wondering on adding a free spirit batalion and a loremaster which would go like that:
-tlancient 300
-durthu 400
-bw 100
-loremaster 100
- kurnoth x3 540
-trev 100
-dryads 240
-dryads 120
Gnarlroot + household 100
Free spirit 60

I heard someone say that these kind of lists were trying to do too much things at the time but I think it can actually work to knock the opponent out with a big alphastrike and then do the usual sylvaneth stuff which worked so well so far
Any thoughts?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

My list exactly, however the Free spirit does actually not fit in there. :)

I'm not sure if this has been settled or not, but I'd like to say a little something regarding summoning new wyldwoods onto the table.

There seems to some discussion re: if a wyldwood has to be COMPLETELY within 15" or if just the tip must be with the wood extending out as far as it can.

The word "within" can be interpreted either way. Either partially or completely and there isn't really a way (linguistically) to determine which is correct.

I'm inclined to say that "partially" within counts as within for two reasons:

1. Charging rules state that the unit must be "within 12 inches to charge" if we take "within" to mean completely, then the entire unit would need to clear 12" to charge. Nobody I know plays it like this.

The same would apply for command abilities. Inspiring presence states "pick a unit within 12". Again, if we take within to mean "completely within, some units are so large this would be impossible, without literally wrapping around the general.

Spells as well share the same language, but also apply to single targets, "Mystic Shield has a casting value of 6. If successfully cast, pick the caster, or a friendly unit within 18”. Does anybody play it as a single model target of mystic shield must be "completely" within 18"?

2. The wording for the branchwraith's "roused to wrath" spell states that summoned Dryads must be placed "fully within" a wildwood or they cannot be placed. Similarly the forest moving spell from the battlletome states that if the forest is moved units must be "completely within the forest".

So, two instances where "within" is clarified to mean "completely or fully" and numerous instances where interpreting just "within" to mean "completely within" makes the game unplayable.

So, only part of the wood need to be within 15" the rest does not matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The word "within" can be interpreted either way. Either partially or completely and there isn't really a way (linguistically) to determine which is correct.

It is interpreted in the measuring distances part of the rules - it means closest point to closest point.

Looking at the Ghoul Patrol formation, the only instance (I'm aware of) of "wholly within", this provides that the unit must be wholly within 6 inches (it might be 3) of the edge. This must mean that every base of each model must be within 3 inches (i.e. the nearest part of the base), so you could have your back of the base 3 inches away. This is effectively the same as every model must be within - Escalation deployment of the subsequent waves.

Originally I thought this "wholly within" arose in the context of the Silent Communion rule, but it doesn't. That rule just says each Citadel wood must be within, so that's simple to apply - at least a tip of each base must be within 15" of the nearest part of the Ancient. This is still a lot more restrictive than Verdant Blessing or the Acorn.

Two items:

Apparently the Sylvaneth Battletome has sold out again - woop woop.

Here's my battle report where I took Nagash against Craig @Bowlzee:

Nagash is a major threat to some Sylvaneth combos, especially Gnarlroot - however, he's pretty awful for 900 points so don't expect to see him very often.

11 hours ago, Nico said:

Originally I thought this "wholly within" arose in the context of the Silent Communion rule, but it doesn't. That rule just says each Citadel wood must be within, so that's simple to apply - at least a tip of each base must be within 15" of the nearest part of the Ancient. This is still a lot more restrictive than Verdant Blessing or the Acorn.

Wow, you're right. That's a good catch. 

Please could someone explain how the the free spirit alpha strike works with Sylvaneth.  Is it generally accepted that it works, i.e. a reasonable interpretation of the rules?  Does it work for both units in the table and when deployed from the hidden enclaves? Thanks in advance. 

See the previous page. You have to keep the models in the hidden enclaves, then you move them in the hero phase as if it were a movement phase - this move can be used to setup the Free Spirits models. This doesn't stop them moving again in the real movement phase. Then they charge.

It's due to the stringing options it gives which makes things end up placed or with effect pretty far from the "original" end of the effect.

The FAQ on cover doesn't help either.

(the original rules just say "all models within" which would by the convention we are talking about mean that putting them with the edge on the terrain but parts of the base outside the scenery piece they'd still get cover. HOWEVER the FAQ says ALL models COMPLETELY in cover. And cover is a rule every one uses as opposed to all the other rules with "within".

I can't find any rule or FAQ addressing this directly (PLEASE tell me if it's somewhere) but the warscrolls and units paragraph in the 4 page rules mentions models must be within 1" of each other.... and any thing with a base larger than 1" CANNOT be completely within 1" so it obviously is implied only part of the model should be within that 1". (unless someone gives me something better this will be the basis for my discussion with opponents). (Something similar could be said about the rules which state you cannot move within 3" of an enemy.. those rules wouldn't work if you weren't within range if half your base was in those 3")

26 minutes ago, Nico said:

Page 1 of the Rules explains measuring distances as nearest points and hence explains "within".

Hmmm it's very brief and doesn't address it directly.. but I'm not a native English speaker and to me it doesn't seem to exclude alternative interpretations but that might just be my lack of subtlety with the language. Is everyone agreeing that this rule excludes other interpretations?

I'm with Nico on that one

I was wondering: in the case of the durthu, wouldn't it be profitable to give him the commandant trait that gives you +2 on the realmroot teleportation?
It'd mean he can teleport, move and then charge on a 4+, which can be very good if well used

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 2:58 PM, Pompe said:

My list exactly, however the Free spirit does actually not fit in there. :)

Same problem here. I love this list and would like to try it. However, at a 2000pt limit it is 60pts over. Any suggestions? I would think that making that large unit of 20 dryads to one unit of ten might be useful. Also, can some please give me advice on how would you set up the alpha strike?

I know it's already been answered but I can't find the part of the thread so maybe you can help me:
When a model (let's say a durthu) is engaged, but still in range for forest teleportation, if he does so, can I shoot and charge again afterward?

I would say yes - it's a "set up" rule, rather than a "move", hence it's not a retreat. Of course once you teleport to another wood, you need to roll a 6 to be able to move again (but you can shoot and charge on a 9).

It should be spelled out in an FAQ. I know others are less confident about this.

Archived