AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I have 30 Gors (3x10) just because they are always battleline no matter what Chaos god book I use besides BoC.  But I play Brass Despoilers so generally I want minimum size units anyways to get the rerolling 1s and then the wound reroll special thing.  However I think when I play BoC straight up I still like Gors because they can take shields, making them so much more durable than Ungors, at least in combat (running them now as one big unit with Bullgors as my Battleline with Doombull general).  Gors never do anything else of course.  

My next practice match will be vs Legion of Azgorh pure assault army.  Will the Beasts be a match for a heavy hitting slow deploying mass damage causing dwarf army with many random allies (Blue Scribes/Cogs, Plague Priest, Slaughterpriest, Mindstealer Pharanx?  Skullcracker Engines x 4 should prove challenging..... But  I do have 3 Doombulls and  18 Bullgors of various sorts too.    Report will follow later this week.

Here's my Beasts List, no Greatfray:

Doombull (general/rampant juggernaut/Ghyrstrike)

Doombull (herdstone shard)

Doombull

30 Gors w shields 

20 Bestigors

3x3 Great axe Bullgors

3x3 Shield/axe Bullgors

Brass Despoilers

allied Daemon Prince of Khorne with axe

But at the point should I just run a Khorne army?  I'd do minimum units of Gors and Bestigors then, and join up the Bullgors as needed, or maybe take out a shield unit or two to net a Bloodsecrator or two.

I like the Beasts for their applicable relics/traits for Warherds and their potential to heal, and that it lets the Brayherd guys outflank.  Positioning like that it is so often advantageous.  But Blood Tithe is pretty good too, attacking in the hero phase plus extra attacks from Bloodsecrators adds up.  Hmmmmm….

Just go Khorne and cherry pick the units from BoC that you want.

BoC do better in almost every other Chaos God army out there than in their own (not sure about Nurgle) and with the buffs and abilities from those armies our fairy cheap and mobile stuff can punch high above its own grade.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Myrdin said:

Just go Khorne and cherry pick the units from BoC that you want.

BoC do better in almost every other Chaos God army out there than in their own (not sure about Nurgle) and with the buffs and abilities from those armies our fairy cheap and mobile stuff can punch high above its own grade.

Don't do it, Lord Krungharr!  Don't give in to temptation!  Don't sell out to the "gods" of Chaos!  They just want to use you and enslave you for their own purposes!  Never forget the brief, pithy Beasts of Chaos motto:

"Stick it to the man even if you win and then become the man and then have to stick it to yourself like some kind of sticker!"  

'rebellion intensifies'

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Kamose said:

Don't do it, Lord Krungharr!  Don't give in to temptation!  Don't sell out to the "gods" of Chaos!  They just want to use you and enslave you for their own purposes!  Never forget the brief, pithy Beasts of Chaos motto:

"Stick it to the man even if you win and then become the man and then have to stick it to yourself like some kind of sticker!"  

'rebellion intensifies'

I think you just want to stick it....

Slaanesh noises intensify :D

• Like 1

I have enjoyed getting a 200pt 40man blob of ungors on the herdstone. As the aura expands they can start to move out and if you leave a single file trail back to the herdstone you can sacrifice from the blob as well. 

I have also taken 6 x 10 gors with shields and with the ambush or +3 from the bray shaman they can be all over the board. Fighty units will kill them but others tend to get stuck and it just makes it so much harder for the enemy to get around the board.

Disclaimer though - I play for fun and am not a top player!

Also, does anyone else share my hatred of playing nighthaunt? The ethereal ignoring rend and being able to fly over screens is devastating against me.

12 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

I fully expect the points to swap on Scourgerunner and Drakespawn in GHB. 

Me too. i'm pretty sure there was a mix up and they got swapped from the start. The drakspawn even at 50pts still isn't worth much lol. Better than ours but just slightly (only b.c MW's).

I have 15 Scourgerunners. I'm about to sell them b.c no one will play me with them. Im 24-0 with them right now (well technically 23-1 but he cheated. He told me his list and it was a completely different list when turn 1 started and i was set up to counter that first list).

3 hours ago, Maddpainting said:

(well technically 23-1 but he cheated. He told me his list and it was a completely different list when turn 1 started and i was set up to counter that first list).

That shows you... the Scourgerunner power :P  Well more money for more ungors hahaha

Do you post Bat Reps of your BoC games or breakdowns?   

58 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

That shows you... the Scourgerunner power :P  Well more money for more ungors hahaha

Do you post Bat Reps of your BoC games or breakdowns?   

Not really. I'm very lucky to have a local with all types of players and ones that been in tournaments many times, own gaming stores and lets us play literally 24/7. There are times i play 4-5 games a week. We just play a lot so we have a lot of time to see what works and doesn't work. 

But we did talk about making a Batrep channel a few times. I'm going to start taking pics of games an posting here and there after Covid.

1 hour ago, Maddpainting said:

Not really. I'm very lucky to have a local with all types of players and ones that been in tournaments many times, own gaming stores and lets us play literally 24/7. There are times i play 4-5 games a week. We just play a lot so we have a lot of time to see what works and doesn't work. 

But we did talk about making a Batrep channel a few times. I'm going to start taking pics of games an posting here and there after Covid.

I ask cause when the book dropped I was doing the 3-layer chaff/hammer onion but then foccused on trying to make Darkwalker Warherd (which is doable but I fell you still need a swathe of Ungors) so after reading your points and army before I was interested to see what you did.  

PS, i honestly can't wait to sell those Scourgerunners. I want more Bulls lol

:D  I love Warherd,.. I have about 25 and can run (with proxies) 4 Ghorgons which if they went down more in points I would definitely make the hammer in my army.

I'm gonna have to look up these Scourgerunners.  Not real sure what they do.  I might have to look out for those as many of my friends are playing Cities armies these days....including me but mostly Irondrakes and Steam Tanks.

Wow, I looked them up.  So cheap!  That's a bunch of mortal wound potential from far away.  Good thing Beasts can outflank or move really fast and have low drop armies.   Low drop count seems to be pretty important these days.

Edited by Lord Krungharr

10 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I'm gonna have to look up these Scourgerunners.  Not real sure what they do.  I might have to look out for those as many of my friends are playing Cities armies these days....including me but mostly Irondrakes and Steam Tanks.

Wow, I looked them up.  So cheap!  That's a bunch of mortal wound potential from far away.  Good thing Beasts can outflank or move really fast and have low drop armies.   Low drop count seems to be pretty important these days.

In Living city they can Outflank too this is good if you are taking 30 of them, 1/2 on the table 1/2 coming in later when you want (any turn 1-4).
Or do what i was doing and take as TE, this gives them some re-rolls to make them all +1 to hit and some +1 to wound. They can Run and Shoot also giving them for turn 1,  +4" to movement and +1 to saves. So they can move 15+D6, still shoot with a 4+ save hitting/wound big gun on 2+. Having a couple Drakespawn Knights (they are heavy cavalry, yes its 120pts per 5) but they are 2+ save and moves 18" turn 1, a very effective screen and objective sitter. 

After player CoS, our book just feels stupidly weak in almost every way only than points per models with speed.

No one plays Scourgerunners other than a few like myself b.c they are $45 for 1 and they are 50pts. Meaning its almost 1$ per point, if you full army was at that cost its almost a $2k army before rules. But i bought them b.c if you are skilled you get free units out of it. Each chariot can make either 2 Spearmen or 2 Drakespawn Knights. With 15 of them i got 30 Drakespawn Knights.

Edited by Maddpainting

On 5/28/2020 at 4:20 PM, Popisdead said:

I ask cause when the book dropped I was doing the 3-layer chaff/hammer onion but then foccused on trying to make Darkwalker Warherd (which is doable but I fell you still need a swathe of Ungors) so after reading your points and army before I was interested to see what you did.  

:D  I love Warherd,.. I have about 25 and can run (with proxies) 4 Ghorgons which if they went down more in points I would definitely make the hammer in my army.

I have 2 of each Cygor/Ghorgon, but only 9 Bullgors, 25 is a lot even if its a proxy lol. Warherds is something i never put to much thought into just b.c its not the same as Beastmen hordy ambushing running through the woods feeling for me.

But i do want a full Warherd army at this point. I am seriously thinking of doing 6 Doombull too lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moleculeaxium said:

hey what would you guys consider to be the best weapon outlay for dragon ogers? Crushers or Glaives...

I have ached over this and I would go with glaives UNLESS you run them in a Khorne army with a bloodsecrator or a tzeentch army with Fatemaster.   They need the extra attacks or rerolling  hits with the crushers.   

The 2” reach and rend -1 coupled with the extra speed from Beasts allegiance makes the glaives superior then, more able to target an exposed unit who thinks they are safe.    And having a Shaggoth nearby even better, or in the Brass Despoilers.   Just my take anyways. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Moleculeaxium said:

hey what would you guys consider to be the best weapon outlay for dragon ogers? Crushers or Glaives...

Pretty sure you can turn the first 3 sideways and have the 2" rach weapons on the second rank.  

On 5/29/2020 at 2:15 PM, Maddpainting said:

I have 2 of each Cygor/Ghorgon, but only 9 Bullgors, 25 is a lot even if its a proxy lol. Warherds is something i never put to much thought into just b.c its not the same as Beastmen hordy ambushing running through the woods feeling for me.

But i do want a full Warherd army at this point. I am seriously thinking of doing 6 Doombull too lol.

Sorry the 25 Bullgors are GW minotuars (not proxies)  , I have 2 ghorgons, and a mierce ghorgon and cygor.  and i play people who don't care if I swap which they each count as.  I have the Beasts Incarnate which could also work as a Ghorgon however I'm thinking about building a Howdah and making him a Freeguild Griffon in Living City.

In 6th ed 4 man units of KHorne 2HW Minotaurs were pretty good.  Just toss them away at the enemy plus they generated dispel dice.  I wish 3-man Bullgor Khorne units were a threat.  I don't have the Blades of Khorne book so I don't know how pure Khorne allegiance would work (viability and mechanics).  I keep thinking Doombull, Ghorgon, 3 Bullgors as a "node" and just make up a bunch of those to toss at the enemy screened with Gors or just Dark Walkers.

6 Doombulls would be amazing.  I have 3 and don't dislike them in game but I don't think I'm going to pursue painting more up haha.  

Wait @Maddpainting you have 9k of points of BoC and it doesn't include 2500+ points of Warherd?  wow I tip my hat to that collection haha.  

Edited by Popisdead

35 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

Pretty sure you can turn the first 3 sideways and have the 2" rach weapons on the second rank.  

Sorry the 25 Bullgors are GW minotuars (not proxies)  , I have 2 ghorgons, and a mierce ghorgon and cygor.  and i play people who don't care if I swap which they each count as.  I have the Beasts Incarnate which could also work as a Ghorgon however I'm thinking about building a Howdah and making him a Freeguild Griffon in Living City.

In 6th ed 4 man units of KHorne 2HW Minotaurs were pretty good.  Just toss them away at the enemy plus they generated dispel dice.  I wish 3-man Bullgor Khorne units were a threat.  I don't have the Blades of Khorne book so I don't know how pure Khorne allegiance would work (viability and mechanics).  I keep thinking Doombull, Ghorgon, 3 Bullgors as a "node" and just make up a bunch of those to toss at the enemy screened with Gors or just Dark Walkers.

6 Doombulls would be amazing.  I have 3 and don't dislike them in game but I don't think I'm going to pursue painting more up haha.  

Wait @Maddpainting you have 9k of points of BoC and it doesn't include 2500+ points of Warherd?  wow I tip my hat to that collection haha.  

I've been playing for a long time lol. Also 6 Start collecting boxes really helps. 2 of my Ghorgon/Cygons  was built into KoS's. Some of the units I don't need and need to sell, for example I hate 8 chariots. I'll never use all 8 lol.

I am limited in Warhounds, Centigors, Razgors, and some others too. I just have a lot of Bestigors, Ungors, Raiders, and the Tzaangor units (TEoD, Skyfires, Tzaangors, Shamans). And i have a lot of heroes b.c i customized them. I have 9 BL's and 7 Bray Shamans for example.  I love to play with Artefacts on the heroes (ones that i use a lot). 

With that said, i still shop smart and i have only paid 60-70% retail for anything at the most. Box sets with GW small discounts, SC's, shop on days my local does "army sells" (buy 1000+ pts get 30% off) etc.. so its not to bad.

Here are some example of my custom Artefact Heroes

Gnarlblade BL

IMG_20200530_042312140.jpg

Sword of Judgement BL

IMG_20200115_083025452.jpg

Thermalrider Clock Shaman

IMG_20200204_084209403.jpg

Edited by Maddpainting

9 hours ago, Maddpainting said:

Gnarlblade BL

IMG_20200530_042312140.jpg

I love how your Mutating Gnarlblade Beastlord is using his magic weapon to save Pony Valley from the Smooze!   I'm certain that's the reference you were going for, right?  😀

In a distinct difference from the movie though, he doesn't defeat the Smooze with Flutter Ponies but by hitting it until it dies. 

97767d89c65a65d1bc1ba3181a527d3d.jpg.c8c83b07cd907893b64b09b1cf9b8877.jpg

Fun fact!  Danny DeVito voices the Grundle King.  Now, that's stuck in your brain forever.  Welcome to the club!

Edited by Kamose

I'm building a BoC list starting with the Desolating Beastherd Battalion. I've got 10 Ungors and 10 Raiders so I've got 20 of each to get sorted out. The Ungors I built have the blades but now I'm wondering if they should have been spears. With a target of 30 Ungors and 30 Raiders, would spears or blades be better? 

9 minutes ago, Oak7603 said:

I'm building a BoC list starting with the Desolating Beastherd Battalion. I've got 10 Ungors and 10 Raiders so I've got 20 of each to get sorted out. The Ungors I built have the blades but now I'm wondering if they should have been spears. With a target of 30 Ungors and 30 Raiders, would spears or blades be better? 

It doesn't matter.  Blade vs  Spears, blades do more damage, but we are talking about 0.5 more D per 10 guys. Spears lets you play quick and loose and still get in all the attacks, with Blades you need to play your pile ins and movements slightly more meaningful if you wanted to get the attacks in (spears you also don't have to pile in as much and can keep more board control). But for me, i don't are if my Ungors even does 1 point of D, so i just have spears which now i wish I didn't for 1 reason.... they poke me.

Edited by Maddpainting
  • Haha 1

Nope. I have never seen one of those. Its based off HP Lovecraft stuff and the 80's movie horrors that fallowed with long tentacle eyeballs every where.

I like to think that movie secretly an HP Lovecraft/My Little Pony crossover.  The Smooze is actually a shoggoth!
Shoggoth.jpg.3db6cae5e7b4f43a2ff387481f06cea0.jpg