AoS 2 - Soulblight Discussion

RuneBrush

13 minutes ago, AHexInScarletRed said:

Don't know if I'm mistaken, but the Vargheist entry in the new GHB looks like it says Battleline in Soulblight Army once again. Video is on YouTube. 

e: and they're down to 150.

Big if true. Massive.

I'd probably run something like 3 Vargheists, 5 Blood Knights, 10 Blood Knights for battleline.... For about the same price as 3x5 Blood Knights now!

Palanquin dropped a whopping.... 20pts to 300.... Sigh.

Though with cheaper Blood Knights could be some combos.

Mannfred dropped to 380, as did Neferata.

Seeing the page Vargheists are definitely Battleline for Soulblight.

Court of Nulmia Battalion went to 150 (up 40) ...lol. so wipes out the savings on Nef and the Palanquin?! Was it that good?!

Edited by Charlo

How about this list with the changes.

Alligence: soulbligt

Bloodline: necromantic

VlZd, general, mistform, ethereal amulet, orb spell

Vl, vile Transference

Vl, Vile Transference

10 blood knights 

5 bloodknights

2*3 vargheist

30 grave gaurd (Allies) 

Quicksilver swords. 

Should come to 2000 point exactly with the changes

Buffs only for Soulblight, I didn't expect this, tbh - not that it wasn't needed, but I thought it wouldn't happen. Totally awesome! (My sceeenshot was blurry, is why I wasn't sure, didn't want to spread hype not coming true).

I don't know if the Blood Knights don't completely outshine the Vargheists now, with them being 200 pts. Neat changes across the board, regardless :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AHexInScarletRed said:

Buffs only for Soulblight, I didn't expect this, tbh - not that it wasn't needed, but I thought it wouldn't happen. Totally awesome! (My sceeenshot was blurry, is why I wasn't sure, didn't want to spread hype not coming true).

I don't know if the Blood Knights don't completely outshine the Vargheists now, with them being 200 pts. Neat changes across the board, regardless :)

If (like me) you're a mad lad who likes Necromantic bloodline, then Vargheists offer cheaper, flying movement and are arguably better against horses with the potential extra attacks and flat 2 damage and an extra wound before you lose a model.

My biggest gripe with Blood Knights at the moment is the vulnerability to rend 1, going from 3+ to 5+ HURTS, albeit not as much with the point reduction :D

4 hours ago, Charlo said:

If (like me) you're a mad lad who likes Necromantic bloodline, then Vargheists offer cheaper, flying movement and are arguably better against horses with the potential extra attacks and flat 2 damage and an extra wound before you lose a model.

My biggest gripe with Blood Knights at the moment is the vulnerability to rend 1, going from 3+ to 5+ HURTS, albeit not as much with the point reduction :D

Would you mind telling me what you're planning after the changes? I'm curious regarding Necromantic :) (and totally didn't take into account the other Bloodlines, pardon my ignorance) 

47 minutes ago, AHexInScarletRed said:

Would you mind telling me what you're planning after the changes? I'm curious regarding Necromantic :) (and totally didn't take into account the other Bloodlines, pardon my ignorance) 

S'all good dude!

I am new to the game myself (read lots for months beforehand) only played about 5 games... I'm not quite sure yet but my current list just dropped 130pts (and I was filling it with endless spells...!) and with Vargheists being battleline, the "Tax" of soulblight is a LOT cheaper now, with us getting essentially the equivalent of flying Ogors as a battline option.

I'll probably add another Vampire lord or two (more spells) and take a large units of blood knights for 400pts.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think Vargheists as battleline will open things up a lot for the bloodlines that aren't Swift Death. Soulblight's playstyle around objectives requires speed and maneuverability that 10'' non-flying Blood Knights lack. They can still be a good punching unit but now you won't be forced to spend quite as much points on them to fill your battleline.

3 hours ago, TMS said:

Yeah, I think Vargheists as battleline will open things up a lot for the bloodlines that aren't Swift Death. Soulblight's playstyle around objectives requires speed and maneuverability that 10'' non-flying Blood Knights lack. They can still be a good punching unit but now you won't be forced to spend quite as much points on them to fill your battleline.

Yup! As someone who finished his 15 BK the week before the book.... 😩

BUT I'll certainly be grabbing three more Vargheists and potentially moving my battleline to:

• 3 Vargheists
  • 3 Vargheists
  • 10 Blood Knights (OH YES)

I'm unsure how good 10 Blood Knights will be, but they seem like an excellent hammer unit used offensively. Thirty One 3+/3+/-3/D3 (not forgetting Ten 4+/4+/-/1 too!) is sure to dent anything, plus if you Blood Feast them then thats 41 attacks...!

They cost 400pts but that gives you 30 wounds with a 3+ against no rend and a 5+ against rend -1. They cannot fail charges of 6" or less and the -1 Bravery (-2 if you run Necromantic like meeee!) means these guys can take it and really dish it out. If you compare to the golden boy of offensive hammer units: Grimghast Reapers who were 360, now 420, Blood Knights seem like an excellent deal. While yes they lack SUMMONABLE and could do with more healing, there isn't much cavalry in the game that hits as hard as them. Also Bravey 10 and 3 wounds each means they probably won't ever run...!

Hell, I'm intrigued to give a unit of 15 a go... Though getting them all within 1" is difficult enough with 5...

• Like 1

10 Blood Knights will do you proud as long as you make sure to charge with them. I've never tried 15 myself but I think it's going to run into issues with that 1'' range, for sure.

I also heartily recommend trying out 6 Vargheists in a unit some time. With any kind of buff on them they're savage.

The next time I play 2000 points I'm going to go with 2x10 Blood Knights and 1x6 Vargheists as my battleline for the intimidation factor, if nothing else. 🧛‍♂️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TMS said:

10 Blood Knights will do you proud as long as you make sure to charge with them. I've never tried 15 myself but I think it's going to run into issues with that 1'' range, for sure.

I also heartily recommend trying out 6 Vargheists in a unit some time. With any kind of buff on them they're savage.

The next time I play 2000 points I'm going to go with 2x10 Blood Knights and 1x6 Vargheists as my battleline for the intimidation factor, if nothing else. 🧛‍♂️

I only own 3 but they're very quick and fun to paint with my method so I'll certainly be getting at least 3 more! Will need to do something about the limited posing though...

I think the points drops and new battleline hasn't necessarily meant we get MORE units but it means we are a lot more flexible and can ensure our numbers are enough to cover us, being akin to an AoS 1.5 style ruleset with limited unit selection, spells etc.

I *really* wish we had a Battalion for the extra CP and relic (other than Nulmias Court or Red Keep, which are doubtful at best) as they're really expensive and very gimmicky... Though I'd be lying if I didn't say I don't want to try out Red Keep sometime with Swift Death 🤤

Okay let's see what kind of list we can make with GHB19! Previously this level of Hero Hammer was only available to Legion of Blood due to cheap battleline. Maybe it's better there with extra attacks... Who knows?! They can't run an army of ALL Bloodsucking Murder Machines!

Vordrai

VLoZD

Neferata

10 Bloodknights

3 Vargheists

3 Vargheists

2000 on the nose I think...! You could get an extra command point by going for 3x3 Vargheists and keeping the Blood Knights as 5 man... But I want then to be a chunky thereat, though all the command abilities here are incredible so potentially worth it.

I'd personally go Necromantic as all the unique spells are very powerful and the +1 to cast is great, -1 Brv ensures things start running too, though obviously Swift Death is a real boon with +2" move.

Enemy Terrorgheist got you down? Use Vordrai's ability to smash your dragon into it during the herophase!

This is Hero Hammer at its finest and uniquely Soulblight flavour. If Batswarms were battleline I'd genuinely consider spamming them for the -1 to hit from shooting and general screening, but the maximum bases you'd be getting in is four to this list - not worth giving up some Vargheists for.

For artefact its samey, it's broken, but the Ethereal Zombie Dragon is just too good not to have. Otherwise I'd consider the Saccharine Goblet as hitting and wounding on a 2+ with rerolls is insanity, plus FORGE THAT NARRATIVE.

On 6/17/2019 at 12:32 PM, Charlo said:

Yup! As someone who finished his 15 BK the week before the book.... 😩

BUT I'll certainly be grabbing three more Vargheists and potentially moving my battleline to:

• 3 Vargheists
  • 3 Vargheists
  • 10 Blood Knights (OH YES)

I'm unsure how good 10 Blood Knights will be, but they seem like an excellent hammer unit used offensively. Thirty One 3+/3+/-3/D3 (not forgetting Ten 4+/4+/-/1 too!) is sure to dent anything, plus if you Blood Feast them then thats 41 attacks...!

They cost 400pts but that gives you 30 wounds with a 3+ against no rend and a 5+ against rend -1. They cannot fail charges of 6" or less and the -1 Bravery (-2 if you run Necromantic like meeee!) means these guys can take it and really dish it out. If you compare to the golden boy of offensive hammer units: Grimghast Reapers who were 360, now 420, Blood Knights seem like an excellent deal. While yes they lack SUMMONABLE and could do with more healing, there isn't much cavalry in the game that hits as hard as them. Also Bravey 10 and 3 wounds each means they probably won't ever run...!

Hell, I'm intrigued to give a unit of 15 a go... Though getting them all within 1" is difficult enough with 5...

Wait what am I missing here, how are the blood knights hitting at - 3 rend? 

Most of my issue with them is that they tend to bounce off things with their - 1 rend. 

Hy guys, im a relatively new "blood conosseur" anxious to join the knigthly order and skewer some dirty paesant mortal. 
Im actually pretty stoked (while previously i was just being staked)  by the points changes and i setted up a list i would like to try. I always wished to be a soulblight main and i must admit that this list feels pretty good on paper.  Some feedback is obviously very appreciated:

SOULBLIGHT (SWIFT DEATH BLOODLINE)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LEADERS

Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon 440pts
Deathlance, Bloodshield, Blood Chalice
General: Mist Form, Artifact: Ghirthstrike
Lore of the Vampires: Amaranthine Orb

Mannfred Mortarch of Night 380pts
Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transferance

BATTLELINE
5x Bloodknights 200pts

5x Bloodknights 200pts

10x Bloodknights 400pts

3x Vargheists 150pts

3x Vargheists 150pts

UNITS

2x Bat Swarms

TOT 2000

Im feeling really good about bloodknights being 200pts, as you can well see. I suppose vargheists are a good contender but there is something about fullplate  vampire knights with lances...
Only thing that im not so sure about is the artifact. Probably an ethereal amulet would suit the VLoZD better but wounding and hitting on 2+ with the lance sounds really juicy

Edited by Raptor_Jesues

Looks cool although I always feel its difficult to go Soulblight rather than blood sadly due to the +1 attack for all your vampires in blood. 

Is worth checking but I don't think mannfred can take any spells from the lore of the dead in Soulblight as all wizards have to take from lore of the vampires. 

Those points aside let us know how it goes! I'm very interested in seeing how others get value out of the blood knights and I need to justify a remortgage so I can buy my third unit! :D

Rich

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, StokieRich said:

Looks cool although I always feel its difficult to go Soulblight rather than blood sadly due to the +1 attack for all your vampires in blood. 

Is worth checking but I don't think mannfred can take any spells from the lore of the dead in Soulblight as all wizards have to take from lore of the vampires. 

Those points aside let us know how it goes! I'm very interested in seeing how others get value out of the blood knights and I need to justify a remortgage so I can buy my third unit! :D

Rich

yes, t'was merely a miswrite, all is fine now. I usually go with LoB too but mannfred CA bonus is very comparable and i dont have to pick neferata and make her the general, so oranges and apples i suppose. Whats your opinion on the artifact? It is bugging me quite a bit

Edited by Raptor_Jesues

1 hour ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

yes, t'was merely a miswrite, all is fine now. I usually go with LoB too but mannfred CA bonus is very comparable and i dont have to pick neferata and make her the general, so oranges and apples i suppose. Whats your opinion on the artifact? It is bugging me quite a bit

Yea good shout that. I like the artefact I've used it in combination with walking death and swift strikes in blood to good effect but I normally prefer something defensive.

From command abilities I like mist form most from Soulblight and I think with the Lance ghyrstrike seems great as it'll ensure you get those hits through. Depends how the list plays for you! 

Is a very aggressive list my worry is you can only really hit one thing a turn as without any always strikes first type effects of you hit with 2 units one will be decimated before it attacks. (generally a concern I have with glass cannon type lists in aos despite loving blood knights) 

Mistform and Ethereal Amulet is totally unstoppable. With Mystic shield up it's borderline broke. I'm actually astounded VLoZD didn't get upped in points because of it. I say it's fluffy as it's a Shyish artefact though ;)

Legion of blood is fine, but they don't get battleline blood Knights B) ****** chaff, take the REAL units! What Bloodline you recon? I am enamoured with Necromantic but that's me.

2 hours ago, StokieRich said:

Yea good shout that. I like the artefact I've used it in combination with walking death and swift strikes in blood to good effect but I normally prefer something defensive.

From command abilities I like mist form most from Soulblight and I think with the Lance ghyrstrike seems great as it'll ensure you get those hits through. Depends how the list plays for you! 

Is a very aggressive list my worry is you can only really hit one thing a turn as without any always strikes first type effects of you hit with 2 units one will be decimated before it attacks. (generally a concern I have with glass cannon type lists in aos despite loving blood knights) 

Uhm. My gut reaction then would be either doppleganger cloak or ethereal amulet but since the former has been nerfed im inclined to get the latter. Charge both him and the big BLK unit, make the knights hit first and blast whatever, then have the dragon take hits like a champ, fight with something else and than use the draogn last (recovering a wound 99/100 times). Then in my next hero phase drink the chalice, retreat the dragon and charge something else.
Profit $$$.

35 minutes ago, Charlo said:

Mistform and Ethereal Amulet is totally unstoppable. With Mystic shield up it's borderline broke. I'm actually astounded VLoZD didn't get upped in points because of it. I say it's fluffy as it's a Shyish artefact though ;)

Legion of blood is fine, but they don't get battleline blood Knights B) ****** chaff, take the REAL units! What Bloodline you recon? I am enamoured with Necromantic but that's me.

Yeah, that was my thought too, amulet FTW.
YEAH!!! ****** the wolves and zombies, i want fullplate vampire knights with lances! For now im inclined to use swift death since i dont rely too mutch on magic but if i were to take the prince i would probably switch to necromantic.  I would really like dragon warriors to be better though since i love blood dragons

• Like 1