AoS 2 - Legion of Night Discussion

RuneBrush

Hi there! New player, and I love Mannfred’s model so looking at Legion of Night. A Discord chat pointed me to @MrCharisma and then this community for possible help with my army setup.

I know it’s not super-competitive but I’m hoping that I can put something together to still do well with.

What I have:

Mannfred, Necromancer, VLoZD, Guardian of Souls, Knight of Shrouds rider+mount, Spirit Torment, 30 Grimghast Reapers, 30 chainghast revenants, 10 direwolves, 4 myrmourn banshees, dreadblade harrows.

I can get Vargheists pretty easily and could build 10 skeletons and 5 black knights/Hexwraiths.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, XcaliburNick said:

I know it’s not super-competitive but I’m hoping that I can put something together to still do well with.

Well, he is not, but his CA will push elite units pretty good...

played him in a soulblight list and my knights and vargheists really liked that, my opponent not so much.

In your list the reapers (>5) will also really like that. Same goes for the dragon or the chainghasts...

only problems are his high cost, his squishyness and the inbuilt incentive to get into melee with him...

And iirc you‘ll need a third battleline option (2x5 wolves +?). Necro with his 40 skellis/30 guards

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, XcaliburNick said:

Hi there! New player, and I love Mannfred’s model so looking at Legion of Night. A Discord chat pointed me to @MrCharisma and then this community for possible help with my army setup.

What I have:

Mannfred, Necromancer, VLoZD, Guardian of Souls, Knight of Shrouds rider+mount, Spirit Torment, 30 Grimghast Reapers, 30 chainghast revenants, 10 direwolves, 4 myrmourn banshees, dreadblade harrows.

I can get Vargheists pretty easily and could build 10 skeletons and 5 black knights/Hexwraiths.

My ears are burning! G'day Nick.

As much as I wanted to run Vargheist (and I did try), it was hard to walk past Morghast Harbringers with their 3d6 charge. 

You've got an interesting list which can definitely work. Along with my VLonZD I ran a Terrorgheist because that VLonZD isn't enough damage, and Mannfred really needs to pick his fights and support with his command ability. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice guys!

The list I was considering:

Mannfred

VLoZD

Guardian of Souls

Necromancer

30 Chainrasp Horde

5 Direwolves

5 Direwolves

30 Grimghast Reapers

Suffocating Gravetide spell

Soulsnare Shackles spell

@MrCharisma do you think the Terrorgheist is a better damage dealer/threat than the Reapers? I could drop the spells, Guardian of souls and 10 less Reapers and be close to the Terrorgheist points.

On 8/11/2019 at 2:03 PM, Honk said:

played him in a soulblight list and my knights and vargheists really liked that, my opponent not so much.

In your list the reapers (>5) will also really like that. Same goes for the dragon or the chainghasts...

only problems are his high cost, his squishyness and the inbuilt incentive to get into melee with him...

How did you effectively use him? Stay out of melee unless you know you’re going to win by screening and cast spells/buff? Did you keep him in Ambush?

Did you use Ambush much?

13 hours ago, XcaliburNick said:

Thanks for the advice guys!

The list I was considering:

Mannfred

VLoZD

Guardian of Souls

Necromancer

30 Chainrasp Horde

5 Direwolves

5 Direwolves

30 Grimghast Reapers

Suffocating Gravetide spell

Soulsnare Shackles spell

@MrCharisma do you think the Terrorgheist is a better damage dealer/threat than the Reapers? I could drop the spells, Guardian of souls and 10 less Reapers and be close to the Terrorgheist points.

I think the threats are different, so it depends on your style.

I like to set up a massive kick in the groin to my opponent, with my attacking units all charging in at one turn. I remember in one round of combat I was able to kill 140 clan rats. 

The Terrorgheist can hit pretty hard and act independent, but your other models like the Reapers have a higher resilience and can be summoned back. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, XcaliburNick said:

How did you effectively use him?

Disclaimer: Soulblight, Swift death

went against Nurgle blightkings without the rend cyst... 

Manni stayed behind 2x5 knights with 2x5 wolves (allied) as screen. His bubble of awesomeness really helped the knights and the vargheist. Rerolling 1s on a 3+\3+ really makes the bloodbath complete. 

Of course he needs to be in melee and cast spells to really shine, so you‘ll have to try to only dip one toe carefully into the fray.

To be honest, powergaming wise the coven throne is  way better, even when it’s not an AoE

Edited by Honk
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Terrorgheist or Morghast?!?

building a 2k list for fun and lolz and to crush my enemy... (he said I shouldn’t field a first cohort because I’d get wrecked)

vs slaves to darkness (probably)

Coven throne, 2xnecro, vamp

2x40skellis, 60zombies, cart

come in at 1600

the idea is to play very aggressive, the bait will be the coven, Necro, cart and skellis in the middle... 

necro2 and the vamp will be in ambush, while skelli 2 and the zombies hide in gravesites.

the idea is to have the gravesites in a wide Y (depending on scenario etc) two around my bait and one left and right 15“ in his zone, necro & vamp arrive and summon skellis and zombies, hogging objectives.

i just need some distraction carnifex and am torn between a terrorgheist (+palisades) for back rank screaming 

or the 3d6 charge of 4 Morghast into something tasty...

anybody got experience or a cunning plan? (No bedsheets (Reapers) allowed 😅)

Edited by Honk

Disclaimer: I have not tested any of the options :D

I have considered (only for comparison) as well: 6 Crypt Flayers as allies (i.e. they shout as well, they fly as well, their cost is in same range 300-380: 340pts).

Mathematically:

• Move:
    • 1 Terrorgheist: fly 14", decreasing profile if wounded
    • 6 Crypt Flayers: fly 12"
    • 4 Morghasts: fly 9" + 3D6 charge
  • Points spent per Effective Wounds (against saveable wounds):
    • 1 Terrorgheist: 300 / (14W, Save 4+, DS 6+ = 33.6) = 8.92
    • 6 Crypt Flayers: 340 / (24W, Save 5+, no DS6+ if allies? dunno.. = 36) = 9.44
    • 4 Morghasts: 380 / (24W, Save 4+, DS 6+ = 57.6) = 6.59
  • Points spent per average melee Wounds inflicted to a non-ethereal target saving at 4+:
    • 1 Terrorgheist: 300 / 
      • (1 model x 4 attacks x 0.5 TH x 0.66 TW x  0.66 unsaved x 2 dmg) = 1.77-- claws decreasing profile if wounded
      • + (1 model x 3 attacks x 0.33 TH x 0.66 TW x  0.83 unsaved x 2 dmg) = 1.94 -- maw
      • + (1 model x 3 attacks x 0.16 TH x 6 MW) = 3 -- maw MW on 6s TH
        = 44.62
    • 6 Crypt Flayers: 340 /
      • (6 models x 4 attacks x 0.5 TH x 0.66 TW x  0.66 unsaved x 1 dmg) = 5.33 -- talons
      • + (6 models x 4 attacks x 0.16 TH x 1 MW) = 4 -- talons MW on 6s TH
        = 36.42
    • 4 Morghasts: 380 /
      • (4 models x 3 attacks x 0.66 TH x 0.66 TW x  0.83 unsaved x 3 dmg) = 13.33 -- halberds
        = 28.5
  • Additional average MWs with shriek against a Bravery 8 target:
    • 1 Terrorgheist: 0.55 -- shriek 10"
    • 6 Crypt Flayers:
      • 6 x 0.11 = 0.66 -- shriek 10"
      • 6 x 0.55 = 3.33  -- shriek < 3"
    • 4 Morghasts: 0

Numbers are not all but considering  the Morghasts are such cool in term of model and lore... I would say Morghasts anyway 🥰

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Uvatha said:

Morghasts anyway

Only thing for the Tg was the possibility of an extra CP and the prismatic palisades for blocking...

🤔

And his 10“ scream makes it relevant even when it fails the charge... and the maw is flat 6MWs on a 6 and doesn’t degrade... a hero will not be there for CAs, pure suicide charge 

still 3d6 charge and halberds with 24Wounds 4+  

😫😖😫

• Haha 1

Well... moving 140 models took way more time than anticipated, but things started go downhill 

40B67A6F-68DA-495A-A5BD-AAA5B72369F8.jpeg

He played lizzards:

kroak, skinkpriest, stegadon, t-rex 20 warriors, 30 skinks and 10 riders 

since I placed my graveyards aggressively and then learned about their speed (skinks 11“) I had to go first, else my summoning scheme was done before round two. (I hated it)

vampire ambushed, called forth 60 zombies (aka ghouls), Necromancer ambushed called 40 skellis from the grave and after much thinking, called in the morghast to suicide charges his left flank, to delay the stegadon and the knights and kill some skinks .

well, skinks shoot down one morghast and flee before melee ☹️ But they kill some knights and delay the stegadon.

i take three objectives, happy times I thought.

then kroak casts something 10+, dealing d3 MWs to all by heroes (d6units), then the skink priest cast something MW on 5+ killing 20!!!20!!! Skellis, skink blowdaets cripple unit, bastillodon almost kills my coven throne and the stegadon stomps over morghasts... 🥺

My bait unit was too defensive to resecure my left flank (trying to protect my rear from teleports) my zombies helterskelter into his right side, dealing good damage to the carnosaur and his warriors. Resummoning the destroyed skellis in my midfield.

his turn, zombies get magic bombed, corpse cart get blowgunned, summons kroxigors which reroll charge to cripple my new skellis, stegadon teleports into backfield to chargestomp my coven throne...

that‘s where I called upon the power of 1am and flee the battlefield.

with some better positioning I could have reclaimed my left flank, but that magic barrage comets vs d3/6 units dealing d3 mw and the  mob killer (d6/model 5+MW) was just a hard Counter. Kroaks unbinding too... stupid lich 

still, I liked the list even if moving and piling is a pain.

Edited by Honk

• 4 weeks later...