AoS 2 - Gutbusters Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hey guys! Got fired up on my drive to work and wanted to talk about my games and walk through them. Discussing tactics along the way. This is my first time trying to do I hope it's ok. Please let me know. The goal is to do a weekly Gutbuster discussion on my way to work. So please leave comments so I can discuss them for next week. That's if there is any interest for more vids. Thanks guys!

Edited by James S
Spelling
  • Like 2

Evening all! Gonna do a quick write of up my fights from Friday. Got another game in today against Mortal Wounding Skaven, so I'll post that up after this.

Played Moonclan twice on Friday to help a fellow gaming club member get ready for Wargames Con next weekend. We drew the mission with objectives in the corners and everything has to be deployed.

His list was as far as I can remember: Colossal Squig, 2 Mangler Squigs, 15 Cave Squigs w/ 4 Handlers, 5 Hoppers, 20 Moonclan Grots, 3 Fanatics, Fungoid Shaman, Moonclan Grot Shaman, Warboss w/ mortal wound command, and Cogs. 

Game 1: He won the roll and took the side with arcane terrain. I finished first and chose to go second. His Turn 1 he gets some massive movement with his wrecking balls. The Colassal Squig is already on my right objective. Great. The Manglers fizz out and only 1 does any damage. They were both killed in turn 2 when I doubled. I still held my objective since I had more bodies. Turn 2 I was able to send in my 12 Ogors to his left side objective being protected by cave squigs. I take his objective and get up early. Oh, I Shackled the Colassal  Squig and just moved out of combat still getting points. His turn he dispelled Shackles and Swords. He just fights with a unit of Guts. End of the turn I'm up pretty big. I win the roll for turn 3 and he concedes. I was already about to freight train my Ogors to his other objective and he had nothing to stop it. He made a lot of errors with his army so we rolled it back and slowed down and made sure he used everything right.

Game 2: This was more a relaxed training game, and he kicked my tail in. All three big Squigs got in turn 1 and just killed things. He sealed the match bottom of turn 2 when I charged my Tyrant into a Mangler and he got pasted. He won the turn and just ran that Mangler to my objective to cap. It was brutal! I tried to play overly aggressive and take both of his points at the same time. It backfired terribly. Was a good game for me to learn to deal with extremely fast units. 

The video goes into much more detail on these fights, so more than welcome to give them a look and talk about the games.

IMG_2557.JPG

IMG_2559.JPG

IMG_2560.JPG

IMG_2561.JPG

IMG_2562.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey guys! Gonna do a quick recap of my game today. Also posted a video for it with some in depth discussion on playing mortal wound armies and getting ready for this next weekend!

Played my good buddy's Clan Skyre army. Warlord guy, Thanquol, 2 warpfire cannons, two flame throwers, 2 units of 3 rats. Melee rats in reserve/other rats all flame throwers, Doomwheel, one unit of Jezzails, 2 units of Globadiers. I think I had that right.

Playing Starstrike for mission. I win the roll and take side with arcane terrain. I finish deploying first and go second. Nothing much happens until I get the double in turn two. Objective drops mid table. I push a lot of my army forward. Left side fails all charges but the right side goes in. Kill his general and a unit of globadiers with Guts. My Ogors only charge 4" and barely get into the doomwheel. Only needed a 7" to get a triple charge. Le sad. Kill the doomwheel. Now I wait to see how he responds.

Bottom of turn 2. He mortal wounds half my army off the board and takes the mid objective. He's avoiding my big unit of Ogors. My Tyrant dies to Warpflame. And he tunneled his melee rats to my right side where my Butchers are on arcane terrain. He rolls a 9" to get in and murder one. We are tied on points.

Turn 3 he gets the double back and proceeds to kill more of my stuff. The other objectives fall mid on my side and right side on his. This is bad for him since I still have Ogors there from killing his Warlord. He takes the mid and my objective while doing some mortal wounds. Thanqoul is in a fight with my Ogors now and slowing grinding them down. He score some big points.

Bottom of 3, I kill the rat Ogors and Thanqoul to clear the mid and get all the objectives. At this point all he has left is that unit of Rat Ogors way out of position and a warpfire cannon. We call it there. 

Super swingy and sweat inducing game. A lot of fun but holy cow I thought I was done when he got the double. Great practice with a great player who is always helping me get better! 

I posted a vid going in depth about the fight. Hope y'all don't mind me sharing it. If I'm just spamming up the thread, let me know and I'll stop.

IMG_2569.JPG

IMG_2570.JPG

IMG_2571.JPG

• Thanks 2

Got my last game in before Wargames Con. Played my buddy and his Maggotkin one more time. His list was Glottkin w/ Blades, GUO w/ Bell, Gutrot w/ 10 Kings, 5 Kings, 40 Plague Rats, 30 Plague Bearers. We drew Battle for the Pass. He deployed first and gave me first turn. I made some major mistakes early and he capitalized. Went downhill from there. I go into detail in my video report play by play. I dug back into the game and then made a bonehead play that cost me the game. Can't just keep making mistakes after mistakes and expect to win.

Pics are of the battle as it panned out.

IMG_2576.JPG

IMG_2577.JPG

IMG_2578.JPG

IMG_2579.JPG

IMG_2580.JPG

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kramer said:

Great write ups @James S. Good luck with the tournament! 

Off to a rough start. 1-2 going into tomorrow. Pulled a Stormcast gun line and a Tzeentch magic/shooty/summon list. Lost 18-17 to SCE and got some bad luck on three places of power when it mattered against Tzeentch. The Tzeentch list was pretty brutal.

Edited by James S
Forgot stuff
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, James S said:

Hey all! Finished 3-2 with 3-5 secondaries. Finished mid 20's out of 64. Also got Best Sportmanship and Coolest Army awards! Here is the video of my games in depth and my discussion of the tournament. Hope y'all enjoy!

Thanks for all the effort you put in it! Will definitively have a look 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Thanks for all the effort you put in it! Will definitively have a look 

Really appreciate sir! Trying my best! 

I don't think I ever posted pictures of my army here before. So here is everything. Sorry if the quality is subpar. I'm terrible at picture taking.

IMG_2636.JPG

IMG_2637.JPG

IMG_2638.JPG

IMG_2639.JPG

IMG_2640.JPG

IMG_2641.JPG

IMG_2642.JPG

• Like 3

Those look lovely James. Good job! Keep representing those fat boys!

How have you found those endless spells doing? I keep finding that they are almost more trouble than their worth...if I get them on the table at all. I really want the Gnashing Jaws to be my great maw embodied on the table, but I'm too afraid of it coming back at me and hammering my own bravery! :P

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PensivePanther said:

Those look lovely James. Good job! Keep representing those fat boys!

How have you found those endless spells doing? I keep finding that they are almost more trouble than their worth...if I get them on the table at all. I really want the Gnashing Jaws to be my great maw embodied on the table, but I'm too afraid of it coming back at me and hammering my own bravery! :P

Thanks bud! Really appreciate the kind words.

Truthfully, Shackles is the only reliable one. But if you are playing Chaos, then Swords are top notch. Maelstrom was my antimagic Spell but I couldn't even get it casted in 3 of my 5 games. Lord of Change shut me down and Arkhan the Black dispelled it super easy. I had two games where I couldnt even cast. Lol.

I was really using them just to have some flexibility with three wizards. But if we don't have access to Arcane terrain it gets a lot harder to manage. There is a good chance the list changes after this tournament, particularly around using the Endless Spells.

Jaws are such an amazing model. But is has cast of an 8 and only d3 mortals. Good luck with that. Savage Orc player at the tournament made good use of it, but his casters get bonuses and he had the giant rock monster to buff it even more.

I will say though, paint it up and take to your local fun nights and let it rip. Just don't expect much of it.

Edited by James S

The earlier results posted were apparently premature. This is from the TO for the final standings:

So in my haste to get things done and get awards out, I forgot to add certain points to certain players. So while the top spots have remained the same, the top 10 has adjusted and therefore things have moved around a bit. I apologize to anyone whose placing I messed up! Don't be disappointed if you dropped out of the top 10 - y'all did awesome.

Mikey, I'm sorry ha ha. You still kicked ass. The fact that you, Cameron, and Keith even showed up on day two should have earned you guys some bonus points.

Here are the final standings for the WarGamesCon Age of Sigmar GT

1 Michael Vagenos - 170 Nurgle Best Overall
2 Justin Boyd - 168 Bonesplitterz Best General
3 Dan Norris - 161 Moonclan Grots Coolest Army (Tie), Best Sportsmanship (Tie)
4 Matt Taylor - 158 Khorne Best Painted Runner-Up
5 Jeremy Cooper - 156 Seraphon Best Sportsmanship (Tie)
6 Jace Furches - 155 Nighthaunt
Brandon Sullivan - 155 Nurgle
8 Andrew Carlson - 151 Daughters of Khaine Best Sportsmanship (Tie)
9 James West - 145 Daughters of Khaine Best Painted
10 James Southerland - 141 Gutbusters Coolest Army (Tie), Best Sportsmanship (Tie)
11 Eric Oetker - 135 Khorne
Greg Goede - 135 Sylvaneth
13 Christopher Wroblewski - 131 Ironjawz Best Sportsmanship (Tie)
14 Mikey Behgam - 128 Daughters of Khaine
Michael Lazarus - 128 Khorne
Seth Hamilton - 128 Grand Host of Nagash 
17 Jay Sailors - 121 Slaanesh
CJ Banda - 121 Stormcast Eternals 
19 Jeffrey Visgaitis - 115 Khorne
20 Jyoji Fee - 114 Tzeentch
Daniel Dawson - 114 Nurgle
22 Brian Henderon- 108 Gutbusters
Austin Nelson - 108 Idoneth Deepkin
Daniel Landrum - 108 Stormcast Eternals
Dimitri Horchard - 108 Stormcast Eternals
James Miller - 108 Skaven Skryre
27 Paul Adams - 101 Ironjawz
Matt Waldron - 101 Sylvaneth
29 Christopher Schelling - 98 Spiderfang Grots Best Painted Runner-Up
30 Jimmy Sides - 97 Seraphon Best Sportsmanship (Tie)
31 Keith Wood - 94 Ironjawz
32 Cameron Pinckard - 88 Stormcast Eternals
33 Jon Vandermeer - 87 Stormcast Eternals
Jeff Gondeck - 87 Tzeentch
35 Nathan Stickney - 86 Wanderers
36 Thomas Abbate - 83 Legion of Sacrament
Robert Stehle - 83 Idoneth Deepkin
38 Brian Rowe - 76 Stormcast Eternals
39 Kaidyn Johnson - 74 Grand Host of Nagash
Jay Winborn - 74 Nurgle
41 Evan Nelson - 67 Skaven Pestilens
42 Patrick Hagar - 47 Khorne
Jalen Churley - 47 Sylvaneth
44 Matthew Johnson - 46 Ironjawz
45 Aaron Sauceda - DNF Nurgle
Billy Mondragon - DNF Nurgle
Cameron Wassom - DNF Stormcast Eternals
Andrew Thompson - DNF Stormcast Eternals
Mike Brandt - DNF Stormcast Eternals
Griffin Bodell - DNF Nighthaunt
Bryan Harrington - DNF Seraphon
David Lewis - DNF Khorne

New list I'm working on. Taking the good and bads from this last tournament. Magic was extremely subpar so I'm pulling back a bit. Stick to easy casting stuff, get it out and then hope for the Maw to go off.

Can drop the Palisades and get 20 more Grots. Downside is loss of a command point and most likely a triump.

Should be getting a game in early this week to give it a test. Any advice or criticism always welcome. Recorded a new video so should have that up tonight discussing the changes in the list. Until then!

IMG_2692.PNG

Edited by James S
Wrong list.

Hey guys!

i dont now if that is the good thread to talk about it, but i'd like to have your advies on how to counter armies similar to ours in AoS 2.0; namely Blades of Khorne, Ironjawz etc... because if Gutbusters want to be in close combat, that is also the goal of these armies, who have heroes giving bonuses to them. And we dont have a lot of possibilities to take out their Hero, especially the ones who gives them bonuses. 

So far, i tried to boost the defense of our ogors and minimise the damages of the enemy, but that didnt work and i got table rased. Another time, i tried to out-brutalize them and kill a lot of bloodreavers etc... thniking that there is no point to have a hero who boost the troops if there is no more troops. That didnt work either but i had more success. Last time i tried to be sneaky and took several Gorgers, but they come a little too far to be surprising for the enemy.

I cant see in the Destruction allegiance abilities & artefact nor in the realm-specific artefact en spells a tool who will allow us to counter these kind of armies, am i missing something?

And another thing: a contrario of GA Chaos, Order or Death, we dont have anything we need in allies. I was searching for a unit with a good save to hold the train, but the best i saw was the black orcs (4+ reroll of ones with the shield) or a big pack of moonclan grots (who flees easily). So we are stuck with a lot of units whose purpose is to attack and not hold the terrain.

Thank you in advance for your opinion,

• Like 1

Short answer is we need some hero-buffers of our own! But in the meantime, for hero removal I suggest butchers and the maw spell. There are also allies which can help - the thundertusk for example. The ironblaster should do this job for us, but ... doesn’t really.

For the second point, I would say that the tyrant’s command ability is crucial. A large block of ogors or an enormous block of grots that are immune to battleshock will hold out a decent amount of time, even without saves. Then it becomes about the wound attrition. 

I would second a thunder tusk maybe even the huskard one with its d3 heal and blood culture for a cheecky extra mortal wound. Vs blades of khorne it should be able to stay out of range of their prayers, move up and do 6 mortal wounds to a support character. 

Also seconded is a screen from gut buster grots. 40 with the tyrants no fleeing command ability should protect you from a charge and double turn maybe. 40 wounds is a high amount of wounds to chew through. 

• Like 1

Some good advice! I can't suggest enough to take Grots as screens. Also some small units of Ogors as bait is pretty damn helpful. If you have any Hammer units you need to make sure you are getting the charge on your terms. That's where these units come in handy.

Getting to our opponents heroes is something we struggle with. We don't have the tools. I was taking Quicksilver Swords to help with this, but it's really only useful against Chaos. I would suggest kitting out a Tyrant and go hero hunting with him. Downside is he will become target priority.

Keep playing games and rolling dice. This army in its current state is not very forgiving so that means a lot of learning through losses. Keep your chin up!

• Like 1

One of the big things I've come to accept is there is very little reason for Gutbusters not to run GA:Destruction most of the time, when a big block or two of regular ogres is a good pick anyway.

My current list I'm going to try this weekend, assuming I can finish painting the huskard in time:

Allegiance: Gutbusters
Mortal Realm: Chamon

Leaders
Butcher (140)
Tyrant (160)
- Massive Ogor Club
Huskard on Thundertusk (360)
- Blood Vulture
Frostlord on Stonehorn (420)
- Artefact: Hydroxskin Cloak
Bruiser Standard Bearer (140)

Battleline
12 x Ogors (400)
- Ogor Clubs or Blades with Iron Fists
3 x Ogors (120)
- Pairs of Ogor Clubs or Blades
3 x Ogors (120)
- Pairs of Ogor Clubs or Blades
3 x Leadbelchers (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 131

I'd go with a more powerful relic, but my dudes are Realm of Metal for lore/flavor so I try to stick to that for casual games (I run them as being the foot tribe section of an Olwyr Alfrostun)

• Like 1