Nighthaunt and Legions of Nagash

Nullius

Judging by this excerpt from white dwarf, it looks like Nighthaunt units can be given the Grand Host of Nagash allegiance, and probably Legion of Grief allegiance. Doesn’t seem unlikely the other allegiances from Legions of Nagash will also be available to add as keywords to some (or all) of the new warscrolls. Neat!

6DB98F2E-C4FC-42F9-83DA-10835EE32F54.jpeg

2 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Yeah, I think that it was open play, so not sure if we’d get Chainrasps as Battleline, for instance. 

I doubt they'd be a battleline-if unit really, statwise they look like a pure battleline. But I'm reckoning we'll get to use at least some of the nighthaunt units in legion of nagash. Would be nice at least and mean that they'd be able to sell more if the units can be used by all death players.

"The sharp-eyed among you will have noticed that the Chainrasps have the Summonable Keyword – well, if you’re a Legions of Nagash player, you’ll be able to use them in your army, alongside the Guardian of Souls and Lord Executioner!"

from the 2nd faction focus on the community page

So it's at least three new unit's from nighthaunt in legions of Nagash plus Hexwraith,spirits,banshee,Cairn Wraith 

I think that the units is the book will have access to nighthaunt, Legion of Grief, or Grand Host of Nagash allegiances. (I doubt legion of Blood of Legion or Night) have no evidence of that but it makes the most sense to me, especially after reading the article in white dwarf. I don’t think these new units will require an ally slot, I think they will simply acquire the legion-specific keyword the same way the LON units do.

It says we'll be able to use them, but not how, yet.  They could be allies, or they could just be added outright, and no confirmation yet on whether LoN will be allowed knights of shrouds at all, apart from a single, non-mounted one via malign portent rules.

I'm hopeful that all the starter nox ghosts will just be added to LoN outright, but until we see the actual rules text, I'm not getting my hopes up.

42 minutes ago, Sception said:

It says we'll be able to use them, but not how, yet.  They could be allies, or they could just be added outright, and no confirmation yet on whether LoN will be allowed knights of shrouds at all, apart from a single, non-mounted one via malign portent rules.

I'm hopeful that all the starter nox ghosts will just be added to LoN outright, but until we see the actual rules text, I'm not getting my hopes up.

My hopes are firmly up. It just makes sense. All these nighthaunt are servants of Nagash. In the same way that archeon can be your warlord for any mark of chaos, the book will certainly allow you to take Nagash as your general. I would think Nagash, with his ability to assume control of any of the undead, would have even more right to lead any death faction than Archeon any chaos faction. Easiest way to do this is allow the entries in the book the ability to take Grand Host of Nagash allegiance. If the past codexes are any indicator, it will have at least 3 available  factions. My guess is Legion of Grief, Pure Nighthaunt like we saw in the LON book, and Grand Host of Nagash. Even in the fluff these new nighthaunt arrived because Nagash beckons them and sends them into battle in his name. In any case, the battle report in white dwarf suggests that, in the least, most of the contents of the starter box will be able to take GHON allegiance 

With regards to FEC, I'm under the impression that they're depicted as being quite wary and untrusting of Nagash. They're not his creations per se, just some unusual neighbours.

Nighthaunt on the other hand... are created by Nagash and led by a Mortarch.

16 hours ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

Try taking Nagash in an FEC list. Doesn't really work anymore. Shows that just because you should be able to that it isn't necessarily possible. 

Also, FEC aren’t actually dead -aside from the ghoul Kings themselves- so Nagash can’t simply assume control over them. And the ghoul Kings are descended from a rebellious dynasty of madness that is somehow immune to Nagash’s control. If Shyish is an empire, then FEC are it’s uncivilized tribes and barbarians, certainly not part of the Legions.

Except in the FEC book it states that when Nagash demands fealty from the FEC, they are powerless to resist. They resent it and fear it - though some venerate him - so they try and avoid him. However, if Nagash bends his will to it, they fall in line as they're still products of undead magics, or at the least corrupted by it.

@Nullius has pretty much said what my feelings are.  Grand Host of Nagash will be able to use any Nighthaunt within it's list, with the other Legions able to ally Nighthaunt in (lots of references to the other Mortarchs using ghosts).

What I'm curious about is if we're going to get the Legion of Grief or if that's what Nighthaunt "is" (in the same way as Bloodbound are now simply Blades of Khorne).

On 6/11/2018 at 12:10 PM, RuneBrush said:

@Nullius has pretty much said what my feelings are.  Grand Host of Nagash will be able to use any Nighthaunt within it's list, with the other Legions able to ally Nighthaunt in (lots of references to the other Mortarchs using ghosts).

What I'm curious about is if we're going to get the Legion of Grief or if that's what Nighthaunt "is" (in the same way as Bloodbound are now simply Blades of Khorne).

Yeah I’m curious about his too. I guess the parallel would be Legion of Blood, which is Vampire-Centric, and the actual Soulblight allegiance which is only vampires. So maybe it will follow that there will be a Legion of Grief list, with a number of other death units available to it, and then a pure Nighthaunt allegiance with access to deep-striking and some other different core-mechanics. 

Archived