Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, thanks ! it’s a pleasure to interest at least on person !

WARNING : i'm not an english speaker. Bad english ahead.

It was a tournament in Paris, the first “serious one” since GHB2017, so most of the army here were a first test againt competent players. We were 10. 2 stormcast, 2 fyreslayer, 2 kharadrons, one slaneeshy, 2 tomb kings, and one tzeentch player.

I played a quite classic version of the skyborne slayers. 1 celestant, 2x5 liberators, 2x5 judicators, 10 protectors, 10 decimators, 1 venator, 1 relictor, 1 vexxilior.

My first game was against one of the Tomb King players, a competent one but wo didn’t played since quite some time, and thought his old Tomb King army could still hold his own. He played Settra, Khalida, 2 tomb kings, one lich priest, 3x30 archers and 3x10 zombies as a screen unit. Plan was simple : running and blocking the enemy with big blobs with fast regeneration and launching 180 shots 2+/4+ per turn.

The scenario was the one with the two objectives only heroes and behemot could capture. I kept all my skyborne in the air, while he deployed his army in a classical way : zombies first, archers behind, and his heroes in cover in the middle of his army.

I took the first turn. My relictor teleported the vexxilior to one of the objective, and his made his comet fall : 3 zombies and 2 archers died, and settra took lost 2 hp, as well as the lich priest and a tomb king. My venator moved toward the other objective, and my skyborne teleported near the middle-right of the board, in front of my opponent. I shot some zombies and killed one tomb king.

Then the Venator draw his star fated arrow to one-shot Settra…

He missed, of course.

My 2 units of paladin charged the ennemy units in the middle and the right. My goal was as much killing him than blocking the way toward the two objective I had. The decimator one-shotted the zombies and killed 12 archers, while the protector were able to engage the last tomb king, and making him fall mid hp, while killing some zombies and archer. My liberators were here as a second line, preventing enemy heroes to come near the objectives;

My opponent had two choice : stand and shoot, with the risk of being kicked in combat phase, or retreat and hope for a double turn. He did, and let some space for settra to charge my decimators. 5 liberators and 3 protectors died in the shooting phase+combat phase. Settra killed 3 decimator, before being destroyed by 4 starsoul mace.

My opponent didn’t have the double turn. Not much to say after : my decimator litteraly one-shotted 30 archers, while the protectors killed the second zombie king, khalida, and the last of the archers with the help of all my gunline. At the end, I won 12-0, and tabled up my opponent except 30 archers. I lost my venator, 5 liberators, and a third of my paladin. Not a big surprise. This kind of army doesn’t really work in our meta dominated by very mobile and resilient armies, or long-range gunline, excepecially with so little screen units.. My opponent lost all his other matchs actually.

My second game was against a Fyreslayer. 2 magmadroth, 3x5 auric heartguard, 10 vulkite berserkers, 2x30 vulkite berserker with 2 runesmitter and one knight azyros. We were playing the Scorched earth scenario. 

It was the worst match-up possible. The skybrne Slayers has many strong point, but table covering is not. I had to fight a much more numerous army, with a more flexible teleportation (while mine is around a point), on a scenario with lot of objectives far from each other.

Luckily, my opponent was scared shitless of the Skyborne Slayers and did a huge mistake. He deployed his 3 hero, and his 15 auric in the left of the table, with only 10 vulkite as a screen unit.

I took the first turn. My plan was to crush his army before the rest of the vulkite come and make my life a hell. The whole skyborne teleported in front of him. The vexxilior killed 5 aurics and did 2 wound to each magmadroth and 3 to the azyros. My gunline killed the 10 vulkites as well as some hearthguard.

Prepared, the knight-venator draw his star fated arrow to one-shot the magmadroth...

He misses. His bird killed the azyros, however...

My paladin did what they are best at : charging and killing everything. The two magmadroth died, attacked by 8 starsoul maces and the protector's spear. At the end of my turn, only some auric were alive. Sadly, because i did not payed attention to my placement, i didn't took his left objective, nor mine. I took my center and right, and burnt his center. Even if this one was safe, i couldn't let 10 paladin camping near it.

In his turn, his 60 vulkite arrived behind me and on my right. They killed my knight relictor (who stayed in my backline), my venator and 5 judicator, taking all my objectives and burning my center and left.

Then he got the damned double turn. His vulkites on my back came to the center of the table, and killed 5 liberators, while the rest of my army was watching, while he continued to score some points.

I played. Killed the last aurics with the liberators and judicators. Then my 20 paladins charged the 30 vulkites berserkers. The 4+ invulnerable save didn't saved them, and 16 died, which mean a -18 battleshock test. Only 3 were left. My opponent won the initiatve, and made them ran away, while the other unit and the two runesmitter hided as well, scoring objectives. I killed the 3 vulkites and the game ended here.

I lost in the objectives 11-9 but, because i killed most of his army, the score came to 13-13 (we track the point of the unit killed, and divided it per 200. Which mean you can win between 0 and 4 points if you killed enough people. It's a way to separate the winner in a tie or give bonus point to the guys who can kick ass as well as score).

So it ended on a tie. But honestly, it could have been much worse. It was the worst scenario i could have against this army.

What do you guys think about this list? I played 5 games With it  and won all of them.(sylvaneth,ironjaws,Skyre,fureslayers) Would really like to add a heraldor but don't know what to cut. Here is my list:

LCoSD 560

Castellant 100

Relictor 80

4x Fulminators 480

5x Judicators 160

5x Judicators 160

5xLiberators 100

30 x Vulkite Berzerkers 330

total: 1970 points

4 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

What do you guys think about this list? I played 5 games With it  and won all of them.(sylvaneth,ironjaws,Skyre,fureslayers) Would really like to add a heraldor but don't know what to cut. Here is my list:

LCoSD 560

Castellant 100

Relictor 80

4x Fulminators 480

5x Judicators 160

5x Judicators 160

5xLiberators 100

30 x Vulkite Berzerkers 330

total: 1970 points

This is my list. Well it's what I'm going to transition to from my current version which is

-2 fulminators,

+1 Relictor,

+1 venator (or heraldor),

+1 gryph hound.

I think the 2 extra fulminators can do great work.

So far with thise list I struggle a bit against anything as tough as me (high saves - SCE mirror list or sylvaneth with -1 to hit 2+ save rerolling 1s ancients) and am scratching my head to think of changehost counter tactics.

Otherwise I'm taking a variant of this to my big tournaments this year.

20 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

Im thinking of playing only 20 vulkites and adding a heraldor.

I toyed with the idea of dropping that block but 30 are too strong imo. You've better reach for the "Relictor Whip" technique, your 4+ ward save is more secure and you've more bodies for challenging objectives.

I'd be more inclined to take 3 x 5 libs and a heraldor or drop 2 fulminators. You COULD risk no castellant some games buuut that could backfire if you get an opponent who can damage your drake.

5 hours ago, Turragor said:

I toyed with the idea of dropping that block but 30 are too strong imo. You've better reach for the "Relictor Whip" technique, your 4+ ward save is more secure and you've more bodies for challenging objectives.

I'd be more inclined to take 3 x 5 libs and a heraldor or drop 2 fulminators. You COULD risk no castellant some games buuut that could backfire if you get an opponent who can damage your drake.

I think if you drop the Fulminators or relictor you loose too much punch. I thought a lot about it. I think the best decision is to play 20 vulkites and first turn shoot them With relictor. They will still have the 4+ Ward save in the first turn because the warscroll says if you have 20 or more at the beginning of the phase. If you loose a Vulkite you still have 5+ next turn.

What do you think of this Aetherstrike less focused on one shotting things but with a big blob?

Knight-Venator
Knight-Azyros - Lantern of the Tempest

Lord-Relictor - Staunch Defenders, Lightning Chariot, Mirrorshield
Lord-Relictor - Lightning Chariot

Judicators
Judicators

Liberators

Longstrikes x6
Longstrikes x3
Aetherwings
Aetherwings

Aetherstrike Force

Vulkite Berserkers x30

1950/2000

Last 50 points could be used to grab a Gryph Hound for those pesky Deep Strikers, or change the General Relictor into a Veritant - yes you lose Lightning/Healing Storm, but the stronger profile is nice and the dispel is occasionally useful.

In my experience Aetherstrike without a group of 9 Raptors isn't worth running in a competitive scene. 9 is the key number to reliably kill  a lot of high priority monsters (bloodthirsters, lord of change, stegadons, thundertusks, etc.) in a single volley, and it destroys melee alpha strike armies. For example, Settra can survive 6 Longstrikes but usually dies to 9, and 9 Necropolis Knights can survive one volley of 6 after wiping out the aetherwing/judicator screen then resurrect lost models.

6 doesn't feel like enough to justify spending 180 points on a battalion and being forced to bring a bunch of Judicators, 12 is too much - 9 is just right.

I like vulkite blobs (especially for grabbing an objective with Lightning Chariot) but Aetherstrike needs to spend those points protecting Longstrikes against shooting/deep strike armies and vulkites don't help with that task.

I kind of agree.

Mostly I think that not all lists can or  should use all tools. Some don't need bodies as much as others (Stardrake with fulminators). If you're not running aetherstrike or an aquilor then it's unlikely you'll use longstrikes. Paladins are best kept in hammerstrike or skyborne slayers lists. any more than a battleline filling  unit of 5 liberators is a waste unless you go all the way up to a vanguard wing with 30.

So I think the vulkite blob (the blob of 30 at least) is another top list (emerging - pending results in a few of the bigger tournaments) based around that and the heavy elite dragon troops. Basically the lists with LCoSD, castellant, relictor, 30 Vulkite berserkers and at least 2 fulminators as the core.

That said I'm not sure if that's the best use for them. Maybe they'll end up as ubiquitous as judicators?  I really like using them with lightning chariot and I think if that gets FAQd away I'll have to have a good think about whether 30 is worth it.

I don't see many Aquilor/Hunters lists in recent posts. Is that type of list like really weak these days? I like the looks of Hunters and Palladors and wanted to start an army around them. I definitely don't need for the army to be OP or close to it, but losing all the time won't be much fun either.

2 hours ago, Trayanee said:

I don't see many Aquilor/Hunters lists in recent posts. Is that type of list like really weak these days? I like the looks of Hunters and Palladors and wanted to start an army around them. I definitely don't need for the army to be OP or close to it, but losing all the time won't be much fun either.

I'd say both Hunters and Palladors are underrated, but the common sensus seems to be "why pay 220 pts for 3 Palladors when i can pay 240 for 2 Fulminators?". I recommend the podcast AoS Shorts, and especially this episode for a deeper dive into using Vanguard Palladors in competitive play. 

2 hours ago, Trayanee said:

They're not super-mega top tier, at least what we've seen from tournaments, but from what I've read (no actual experience) they're still good, fun and a more unique way of playing Stormcast. The Hunters themselves are often avoided as being seen as "too expensive" points-wise for what they are, but I've heard of fun success stories from Pallador / Aquilor combos. I think the lack of seeing them right now is largely due to how popular - and strong - Stardrakes and Fulminators are.

Hunters are odd. A bit between Judis and Libs, they're a bit of both but also their own thing. 

I think people are unimpressed with them since they don't do game ending damage or anything like that, but it's not their job. Most of what you're taking them for is mobility and flanking - getting a unit into the opponent's backfield without having to use a Hero or Scions is already good. 

I would compare them more to Libs than Judis. Judicators are there to put down noteworthy fire, especially with Bows and the Shock bolt on the Prime. Hunters are closer Libs who paid a bit more to trade the Shield for a gun and Outflank/speed. Makes them worse at holding the line, but better at being where they need to be and harassing. 

Harassment units need a bit more finesse than the straight up Libs or Judis, but I think they're just as good in their own ways. 

Thinking of taking 40 skinks (200) and a War Hydra (200) as my allies to up the model count & add a cheapish behemoth to my army. Any feedback on whether this is a good/ bad decision? It would make my full list (undecided on artefact & ability):

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Leaders
Lord-Celestant (100)
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Relictor (80)
Knight-Venator (120)
Knight-Questor (100)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
- Stormcast Eternals Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
- Stormcast Eternals Battleline

Units
2 x Tempestors (220)
2 x Fulminators (240)
3 x Vanguard-Palladors (220)
40 x Skinks (200)
- Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
- Allies

Behemoths
War Hydra (200)
- Allies

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 400 / 400

11 hours ago, Trayanee said:

Not a ton of direct sigmar game play experience though plenty of minis tournament play. Mobility is huge if you know how to apply it. Also with being able to deploy off board while deploying more units than many other armies will get you insite into where your forces need to go.

Below is the list I'm building with room for adjustment.

Aquilor

Venator

Anointed on Frost

5lib

2x5 Hunter

4x3  prosc half each type

2x3 chocobo riders

120 points for another hero, going to play test neeve first,  this might end up being azyros with libs becoming hunters too. Or another venator. Still deciding and trying to stick with letting my daughter influence how I build my kits, lol.

Large chunk can be off and still enter turn one. This gives solid alphas in back line if required. All is highly mobile. High armor might be trouble is my current concern.

So I took some advice here and there and listened to the podcast mentioned here and came up with this list. I tried to go for at least some synergies while working mostly with models I already have acquired. I would love to have another relictor with Lightning chariot, but the only way is cutting hunters to 5 at which point they seem useless and I also want to get the most from the battalion to justify its cost. Feedback and suggestions appreciated.

Leaders
Lord-Aquilor (200)
- General
- Command Trait : Consummate Commander
- Artefact : Obsidian Blade
- Gryph-Charger Trait : Aethereal Stalker
Lord-Celestant (100)
- Artefact : Mirrorshield
Lord-Relictor (80)
- Prayer : Bless Weapons
Neave Blacktalon (120)
Units
10 x Vanguard-Hunters (280)
5 x Liberators (100)
-Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
-Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers
6 x Vanguard-Palladors (440)
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (360)
3 x Aetherwings (60)
Battalions
Blacktalon's Shadowhammers (160)

EDIT: I forgot a question about Neave and her battalion. Do I really have to paint her and others as Hammers of Sigmar? I know its written in both warscrolls but I dont like the idea of gold/blue hunters and scouts and wanted to go with something like astral templars etc. Can I possibly have problems with it at local tourneys should I ever attend them?

42 minutes ago, Trayanee said:

So I took some advice here and there and listened to the podcast mentioned here and came up with this list. I tried to go for at least some synergies while working mostly with models I already have acquired. I would love to have another relictor with Lightning chariot, but the only way is cutting hunters to 5 at which point they seem useless and I also want to get the most from the battalion to justify its cost. Feedback and suggestions appreciated.

Leaders
Lord-Aquilor (200)
- General
- Command Trait : Consummate Commander
- Artefact : Obsidian Blade
- Gryph-Charger Trait : Aethereal Stalker
Lord-Celestant (100)
- Artefact : Mirrorshield
Lord-Relictor (80)
- Prayer : Bless Weapons
Neave Blacktalon (120)
Units
10 x Vanguard-Hunters (280)
5 x Liberators (100)
-Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
-Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers
6 x Vanguard-Palladors (440)
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (360)
3 x Aetherwings (60)
Battalions
Blacktalon's Shadowhammers (160)

EDIT: I forgot a question about Neave and her battalion. Do I really have to paint her and others as Hammers of Sigmar? I know its written in both warscrolls but I dont like the idea of gold/blue hunters and scouts and wanted to go with something like astral templars etc. Can I possibly have problems with it at local tourneys should I ever attend them?

No you don’t HAVE too ?

So how are we feeling about using Steelheart's Champions in our lists? Are they 100 points worth investing in? Seems like quite an offensive 100 points to spend with nice tools for both larger units and heroes.

However I feel they're hard to fit into most lists. Only use I can see is filling battaltion requirements that require more Liberators, as a normal unit of 5 are usually just used as expendables. It's a shame they don't count towards battleline, but I totally get why.

Can you take it in battalions as a liberator squad? Might be intersting in skyborne slayers if so.

If you are playing a small game it's probably pretty good as the liberator squad in a vanguard wing. If it's a big game you'd want more liberators usually.

Otherwise it's got the cool factor and you're not exactly losing a lot over a normal lib squad (other than you need to find your battleline elsewhere).

Edit/ I dont think you can use the warscroll in place of a unit of liberators for battalions that require units of liberators. I think this falls under the named characters and battalions FAQ answer.

Edit 2/ Yes so after a quick read, I think if the battalion said "1 unit of Liberators" then  you could take the steelhearts. As is, none have liberators in bold.

Excuse for my English, I used the online translator.
Using warscroll builder, I saw such Command Trait as The Strike Inspired, The Strike Inspired, Veteran on the Gnarlwood. But found nothing about it in the book "Stormcast Eternals 2017". Where can I read about them?

1 hour ago, Targost said:

Excuse for my English, I used the online translator.
Using warscroll builder, I saw such Command Trait as The Strike Inspired, The Strike Inspired, Veteran on the Gnarlwood. But found nothing about it in the book "Stormcast Eternals 2017". Where can I read about them?

Found in Battletome: Stormcast Eternals (2017).

The Strike Inspired, page 140. 
Veteran of the Gnarlwood, page 141. 

21 hours ago, Siorra said:

So how are we feeling about using Steelheart's Champions in our lists? Are they 100 points worth investing in? Seems like quite an offensive 100 points to spend with nice tools for both larger units and heroes.

However I feel they're hard to fit into most lists. Only use I can see is filling battaltion requirements that require more Liberators, as a normal unit of 5 are usually just used as expendables. It's a shame they don't count towards battleline, but I totally get why.

on a board filled with many obstruction, they can be very good as holding a bottleneck. 3+ save rerolling 1 without needing any buff is quite cool, 3 models mean less place for the opponent to attack and severin as well as obryn are more damaging than a liberator squad.

Archived