Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2017-06-27 at 1:35 PM, ArtyomTrityak said:

I often see stormcast-only armies in battreps / tournaments and the question is why?

You can get some nice synergy buffs from Hurricahum, battlemage, Sisters of thorn + some other units so as result you'll get really strong army without need to pay points for battalion.

So unit of 15 liberators with 3 2h weapons can be awesome: Mystic shield gives 3+ save, Sisters of thorn give reroll save, Hurricanum gives bubble of +1 to hit. So it can be really immortal battleline which can really hold lot of pressure while ranged units with +1 to hit buffs can destroy everything.

Playing only stormcast gives you the allegiance you need to get those nice items and the celestial realms drops wich is a good asset vs those skyfires deathstars since you can one drop with super battalion and since stormcast got good units in almost every departement i dont think you need to go out of the allegiance

On 27/06/2017 at 7:35 PM, ArtyomTrityak said:

I often see stormcast-only armies in battreps / tournaments and the question is why?

With the exception of Reckless, Order traits and artifacts are unimpressive at best while Stormcast traits are quite nice and artifacts offers the defense you need.

Speaking of army, going ORDER means that thoses Judicators are no longer battleline, plus what mixing offers is not that interesting.

Battlemage : franckly, the best spell they offers is Mystic shield, something the Lord castellan is happy to give, for the same price, on a better body with a better armour, which heals and stack on the same unit.

Sisters of the Thorn : hell it looks cool on the paper, not so much in real, the ennemy will ignore the shield or don't care about your armor or receving mortal wounds. Plus, the 6+ required is not that easy at all to get every turn. There is a reason the weirdnob shaman is nice and this is because he can cast mystic shield with ease.

The hurricanum : When you play this, you wanna field a gunline most of the time. Most Stormcast already hit on 3+ or better and have an easy acces on reroll 1 to hit on shooting and +1 to hit in combat. having +1 to hit in a 10" aura is still nice but there are better units for this in mixed Order armies : Kurnoths, empire gunners, blabla.

If you relate this to the Metagame, you have to answer some question and one of them is "can you survive/deal-with/kill a band of strong mobile shooters that deal mortal wounds at 18-24 range". And the Stormcast trait "sons of the storm" is a valid answer to this question while all that is above are not.

Mixed order armies are good, but you do not need stormcasts in them.

Hm, the more I think about it, I'm not sure if I should bring Aetherstrike or Skyborne to this event. I think Skyborne is still pretty good, and I'd have to paint a lot fewer models to get it tabletop ready. Plus, I've only had a bit of practice with Aetherstrike as it is, and while it's strong I don't know if it is easy enough to pilot without playtesting.

What do you think of this Skyborne list?

Lord-Celestant - General, Mirrorshield, Staunch Defender
Lord-Relictor - Lightning Chariot
Knight-Venator - Luckstone

Judicators x5 - Bows, Shockbolt Bow
Liberators x5 - Hammers and Shields, Grandhammer

Protectors x10 - 4 Starsouls
Decimators x5 - 2 Starsouls
Javelin Prosecutors x3 - Trident
Longstrikes x3
Longstrikes x3

Skyborne Slayers

2000/2000

So, still lots of shooting, but also Skyborne to get that Alpha/Beta strike. I still think it's strong enough - few armies can withstand the drop, and the Longstrikes and Venator have the range and power to support it from afar. I did fairly well with it at Adepticon, though I'll be swapping out the Fulminators which didn't mesh well with the list. 

I've been doing a Skirmish "league", really just playing through the book at one mission per week. For the second mission, my force looked like this:

Lord-Relictor
Retributor-Prime
Protector-Prime
Prosecutor-Prime with Trident
Liberator-Prime with Grandhammer
Liberator with Hammer/Shield

Won first game, tied second. Our units are pretty good since we have 2 wounds and good saves, we stick around longer than most others. And the Relictor can heal anything that doesn't die, which happens a lot. 

Venator is quite good. Shooting units and fast  units in general are amazing in Skirmish, since it's a small board and shooting is at a premium when you can drop multiple "units" in a single volley. The Venator alone can easily pop 2 dudes per turn between him and the Aetherwing, maybe 3 if you feel lucky. 

Shooting longer than a 12" range is pretty insane in Skirmish. You'll win a lot of games if you go that route, but you won't make a lot of friends doing it. Venators, Judicators, Raptors are all very, very powerful.

27 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Any thoughts on SC in skirmish? I know it's rather lite format but I wonder what others are fielding or think it was enjoyable to play. I'm torn between Relictor and Venator heroes to lead my band.

I've used the relictor. This prayer is deadly in skirmish

49 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Shooting longer than a 12" range is pretty insane in Skirmish. You'll win a lot of games if you go that route, but you won't make a lot of friends doing it. Venators, Judicators, Raptors are all very, very powerful.

Yeah, I don't want to overdo it. However faster movement on Prosecutor and Venator is also nifty.

2 hours ago, Requizen said:

I've been doing a Skirmish "league", really just playing through the book at one mission per week. For the second mission, my force looked like this:

Lord-Relictor
Retributor-Prime
Protector-Prime
Prosecutor-Prime with Trident
Liberator-Prime with Grandhammer
Liberator with Hammer/Shield

Won first game, tied second. Our units are pretty good since we have 2 wounds and good saves, we stick around longer than most others. And the Relictor can heal anything that doesn't die, which happens a lot. 

Venator is quite good. Shooting units and fast  units in general are amazing in Skirmish, since it's a small board and shooting is at a premium when you can drop multiple "units" in a single volley. The Venator alone can easily pop 2 dudes per turn between him and the Aetherwing, maybe 3 if you feel lucky. 

You have to meet the requirements for special weapons, so you will need 5 Liberators before you can field a Grandhammer... well thats how my group understands the rules, otherwise it gets really crazy with all the stormcast primes.

1 hour ago, boombyeyeah said:

You have to meet the requirements for special weapons, so you will need 5 Liberators before you can field a Grandhammer... well thats how my group understands the rules, otherwise it gets really crazy with all the stormcast primes.

Yes, groups I've seen play it the same way. I've seen arguments on it, but it seemed that most played it the same. Any other interpretation of the rule makes Skirmish even more unbalanced imo - and it's not like Stormcast need the help. 

I just bought a Stardrake and was thinking of ways to use him.
Here is a list I thought would be fun to play. Your feedback is welcome, as always.

LCoSD, champion of the realm, strife ender, thunderlord. Celestine Hammer.
Relictor, lightningchariot
Castellant, fury brand

3*5 liberators
2*5 judicators
1 min unit each of fulminators and tempestors.
1 gryphhound.

Thunderhead Brotherhood.
2000/2000

The idea is to turtle up in the middle of the field with the Stardrake in the middle of all the smaller dudes. Wait for the oppertune moment, buff him up with furybrand and hopefully send him out with lightningchariot or fly, and charge the juiciest target and UNLEASH HELL! Then move out with liberators and dracoths to mop up and claim objectives. http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5956b8227521d/Drakelist.pdf

Skickat från min Moto G (4) via Tapatalk

On 29/06/2017 at 7:13 PM, chord said:

The best mixed Order combo I found was Loremaster and Knight Venator.  Hand of glory meant the Venator almost always hit most things with all shots. 

using it on the venator with his dmg 1 bow is lackluster, i think

11 hours ago, Snoe said:

I just bought a Stardrake and was thinking of ways to use him.
Here is a list I thought would be fun to play. Your feedback is welcome, as always.

LCoSD, champion of the realm, strife ender, thunderlord. Celestine Hammer.
Relictor, lightningchariot
Castellant, fury brand

3*5 liberators
2*5 judicators
1 min unit each of fulminators and tempestors.
1 gryphhound.

Thunderhead Brotherhood.
2000/2000

The idea is to turtle up in the middle of the field with the Stardrake in the middle of all the smaller dudes. Wait for the oppertune moment, buff him up with furybrand and hopefully send him out with lightningchariot or fly, and charge the juiciest target and UNLEASH HELL! Then move out with liberators and dracoths to mop up and claim objectives. http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5956b8227521d/Drakelist.pdf

Skickat från min Moto G (4) via Tapatalk

I used a really close list in a tournament, finishing 5th.

The only changes with your list was taking just one big unit of fulminator, replacing the relictor with the azyros with lantern of the tempest, and giving staunch defender + mirrorshield to the LCoSD

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 4:03 AM, ledha said:

using it on the venator with his dmg 1 bow is lackluster, i think

Nope.  It's great.  That's 6 missile attacks with 30" range (not counting his movement for overall threat range),  3 of those will have a -3 rend for any 6 on wound.  I've found that with the spell usually you'll get 5 hits total.   Use it in conjunction with the star fated arrow and it becomes a lot better. 

9 minutes ago, chord said:

Nope.  It's great.  That's 6 missile attacks with 30" range (not counting his movement for overall threat range),  3 of those will have a -3 rend for any 6 on wound.  I've found that with the spell usually you'll get 5 hits total.   Use it in conjunction with the star fated arrow and it becomes a lot better. 

I don't think it's worth loosing all the stormcast little toy, since you have to go in order allegiance.

The hand of glory is so much more powerful on warmachines... :D

1 minute ago, ledha said:

I don't think it's worth loosing all the stormcast little toy, since you have to go in order allegiance.

The hand of glory is so much more powerful on warmachines... :D

Agreed, if you decide to play with allegiance abilities than yeah go all stormcast.  IF you are not playing with allegiance abilities mix and match. 

On 2017-06-29 at 0:43 PM, Requizen said:

Hm, the more I think about it, I'm not sure if I should bring Aetherstrike or Skyborne to this event. I think Skyborne is still pretty good, and I'd have to paint a lot fewer models to get it tabletop ready. Plus, I've only had a bit of practice with Aetherstrike as it is, and while it's strong I don't know if it is easy enough to pilot without playtesting.

What do you think of this Skyborne list?

Lord-Celestant - General, Mirrorshield, Staunch Defender
Lord-Relictor - Lightning Chariot
Knight-Venator - Luckstone

Protectors x10 - 4 Starsouls
Decimators x5 - 2 Starsouls
Javelin Prosecutors x3 - Trident
Longstrikes x3
Longstrikes x3

Skyborne Slayers

2000/2000

So, still lots of shooting, but also Skyborne to get that Alpha/Beta strike. I still think it's strong enough - few armies can withstand the drop, and the Longstrikes and Venator have the range and power to support it from afar. I did fairly well with it at Adepticon, though I'll be swapping out the Fulminators which didn't mesh well with the list. 

does skyborne batalion still exist cause its not in the book

Picked up a Celestant-Prime the other day, has any one got any lists to share using one?

Really not sure what the best use of him is. Maybe supplementing a hammerstrike force for a massive alpha strike?

This is what I'm thinking at 2k

Celestant Prime

Knight-Venator

Lord Celestant on Dracoth

Lord-Relictor

Lord-Castellant

5 Judicators

5 Judicators

5 Judicators

3 Prosecutors with Hammers

5 Protectors

5 Retributors

Hammerstrike Force

2000/2000

13 hours ago, bolderiz101 said:

does skyborne batalion still exist cause its not in the book

It's in Grand Alliance: Order and it has points in the General's Handbook so it is legal for Matched Play.

You can also still run the Warrior Brotherhood using the old Knight Azyros warscroll.

Unless the TO says otherwise then both of these would be valid for tournaments.

Going forward GW needs to be more clear about what is and is not legal in Matched Play

You can also still run the Warrior Brotherhood using the old Knight Azyros warscroll.

No - you really cannot use the old Knight Azyros scroll in a matched play tournament. The Battalion is allowed, but it's bad form to use an old version of a Warscroll for advantage (the same could be said for exploiting typos in Warscrolls that have been corrected in newer versions).

On 7/4/2017 at 6:01 PM, Nico said:

No - you really cannot use the old Knight Azyros scroll in a matched play tournament. The Battalion is allowed, but it's bad form to use an old version of a Warscroll for advantage (the same could be said for exploiting typos in Warscrolls that have been corrected in newer versions).

I really do think GW should rescind the "use any version of a warscroll you want" ruling. All it does is cause confusion and gives leeway for questionable combinations.

33 minutes ago, SpiritofHokuto said:

I really do think GW should rescind the "use any version of a warscroll you want" ruling. All it does is cause confusion and gives leeway for questionable combinations.

but then they would need version numbers and ways to keep all the various places to get warscrolls updated as well.  (since not everyone uses the app)

What does Stormcast allegiance mean? Does it mean ALL army should be with Stormcast keyword? So if i would use Hurricahum i can not use Stormcast allegiance?

Can i use Battalions AND Hurricanum which breaks allegiance or battalions can be used only for full Stormcast allegiance army?

Archived