Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

Question: It looks like Starter set does not give value for competitive list - no special weapons for paladins, no shield for hero, no javelins for Prosecutors.  This case how would you recommend to build Stormcast army? Buying separated boxes seems like too expensive.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best way to start Stormcast is with a Battleforce box. They were limited production items from christmas 2016. If you can't find one (they're very rare now) then the starter box combined with a Start Collecting box are a good way to go. It gives you the remaining 2 Retributors you need to get a squad of 5, more Liberators/Prosecutors and special weapons for your starter set Liberators and Prosecutors, and a good offensive melee general.

From there just buy units you like. Try to fill out some battalions that look cool and fun.

If you're unsure of what to buy, I recommend a box of Dracothian Guard; they are expensive but you can magnetize their arms to make Tempestors + Fulminators + Concussors all from one box. This gives you 3 new unit options for your army. It also gives you a shield and more weapon options for your Lord Celestant on Dracoth from the starter box.

A box of Paladins is a good idea since you can build them as Decimators or Protectors and use the starsoul maces for your Retributors.

Vanguard Raptors are very powerful, especially the Longstrike bows. They're a good value box because they come with 3 Aetherwings as well.

2 Heroes worth picking up are the Knight Heraldor and Lord Castellant. Their effects are powerful enough that they can easily fit into most lists. Slightly more niche heroes are the Azyros, Venator, and Veritant - the first 2 are great in specific lists, while the Veritant is a good anti-mage choice. I would avoid the Vexillor unless you have a specific list in mind.

I do not recommend Judicators or any Vanguard units (except Raptors) because they are niche units since their damage output is lacking compared to other Stormcast choices.

tl;dr

Starter Set > Start Collecting > Buy units you like OR fill out battalions

Starter set is good if you are ok with conversions. I made my Hammer Prosecutors into Javelins, converted some hand Hammers into big Grandhammers for the Liberators, and found a spare shield for the Lord Celestant. If you also get the Start Collecting box, you get two more Retributors and figure something out for Starsouls on them.

If you don't want to do conversions at all it might still be worth it for the two characters. The Liberators are fine without the Grand weapon and the Hammer Prosecutors are middling but not terrible. Retributors with no Starsouls are fine-ish as well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I'm not a Stormcast player but was thinking about picking up some Aetherwings for conversions.  They are selling for way more than I would have predicted, however! It seems to me that most lists that use aetherwings are running more vanguard raptors than aetherwings. Is that accurate? Or are there popular lists that are running a lot more birds than bows?

On 4/21/2017 at 6:10 PM, swarmofseals said:

I'm not a Stormcast player but was thinking about picking up some Aetherwings for conversions.  They are selling for way more than I would have predicted, however! It seems to me that most lists that use aetherwings are running more vanguard raptors than aetherwings. Is that accurate? Or are there popular lists that are running a lot more birds than bows?

There are two battalions that involve Vanguard Raptors and they both require Aetherwings to run. In general usage I would say Raptors are more used but lots of people are running Aetherstrike and the Justicar Conclave. 

2 hours ago, Requizen said:

There are two battalions that involve Vanguard Raptors and they both require Aetherwings to run. In general usage I would say Raptors are more used but lots of people are running Aetherstrike and the Justicar Conclave. 

Thanks -- for the lists that run both, do they typically run more raptors or more Aetherwings? Like I see some folks posting lists with 12 raptors but only 3 aetherwings.

Question? If I used a Celestial Warbringers battalion can I use other battalions within it that arn't listed?
Mandatory is 1 lords of the storm battalion 0-3 vanguard wing battalions, and any number of additional storm cast units?
I'm leaning towards saying no, but it's not clear?

1 hour ago, DGH875 said:

Question? If I used a Celestial Warbringers battalion can I use other battalions within it that arn't listed?
Mandatory is 1 lords of the storm battalion 0-3 vanguard wing battalions, and any number of additional storm cast units?
I'm leaning towards saying no, but it's not clear?

If it's not mentioned as a possible batallions in this bigger battalion.. Then you can't take it as part of it but only next to it.

Tested this list - it was against a tough death list. Last minute mobility, a defensive approach and the scenario (gift from the heavens) won it for me. Was close though.

I took a heraldor but have an eye on a Venator too (or 5 more libs).

I didn't build it to counter any lists though. I'm looking at a list for the next 2k tournament I attend whenever that will be.

Feedback is cool!

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Lord-Celestant On Stardrake (600)
- General
- Stormbound Blade
- Trait: Staunch Defender
- Stardrake Trait: Keen-clawed
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Relictor (80)
Lord-Relictor (80)
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (80)
- 1x Stormsurge Tridents
5 x Paladin Decimators (200)
- 2x Starsoul Maces
5 x Paladin Protectors (200)
- 2x Starsoul Maces
Hammerstrike Force (120)

Total: 1880/2000

17 hours ago, Turragor said:

Tested this list - it was against a tough death list. Last minute mobility, a defensive approach and the scenario (gift from the heavens) won it for me. Was close though.

I took a heraldor but have an eye on a Venator too (or 5 more libs).

I didn't build it to counter any lists though. I'm looking at a list for the next 2k tournament I attend whenever that will be.

Feedback is cool!

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Lord-Celestant On Stardrake (600)
- General
- Stormbound Blade
- Trait: Staunch Defender
- Stardrake Trait: Keen-clawed
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Relictor (80)
Lord-Relictor (80)
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (80)
- 1x Stormsurge Tridents
5 x Paladin Decimators (200)
- 2x Starsoul Maces
5 x Paladin Protectors (200)
- 2x Starsoul Maces
Hammerstrike Force (120)

Total: 1880/2000

How did you find the double Relictor?  What prayers did you go with?

Has anyone played around with the overlords / SCE battalion? What are the requirements ?? Found out about it yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venator, three Prosecutor units, the gunboat, and three balloon units (two of one, one of the other). They make each other better at shooting and one can shoot on the Hero phase. It's not bad if you want to run them together.

5 hours ago, Requizen said:

Venator, three Prosecutor units, the gunboat, and three balloon units (two of one, one of the other). They make each other better at shooting and one can shoot on the Hero phase. It's not bad if you want to run them together.

This is actually cool. I'm in love with prosecutors at the moment now I can paint their wings okay. The better at shooting part - is it +1 to hit or to wound orr?

Oh and what does that do to Allegiance? Is it Kharadron? And is there anything extra cool you can do with that (with the Venator and artefacts for instance)?

This is actually cool. I'm in love with prosecutors at the moment now I can paint their wings okay. The better at shooting part - is it +1 to hit or to wound orr?
Oh and what does that do to Allegiance? Is it Kharadron? And is there anything extra cool you can do with that (with the Venator and artefacts for instance)?

4da32eab712d31b98f5ee8837e3eb04f.jpg

Allegiance is always what it says above the name, so yeah Overlords. No Luckstone :(

Marked for Destruction can be useful for really helping nail that important target, but without Luckstone you're gambling a lot on the SFA.

Lightning-fast Volleys could be pretty cool. The big issue with the Gunhauler is that the big gun only hits on a 4+ and shoots once per turn, so getting an extra shot every Hero Phase can mitigate that a lot and potentially make it a really powerful damage-dealer. 

It's also just really fast. Everything moves 12", so you get a lot of shooting in range quickly. 

Allegiance is always what it says above the name, so yeah Overlords. No Luckstone [emoji20]
Marked for Destruction can be useful for really helping nail that important target, but without Luckstone you're gambling a lot on the SFA.
Lightning-fast Volleys could be pretty cool. The big issue with the Gunhauler is that the big gun only hits on a 4+ and shoots once per turn, so getting an extra shot every Hero Phase can mitigate that a lot and potentially make it a really powerful damage-dealer. 
It's also just really fast. Everything moves 12", so you get a lot of shooting in range quickly. 

Hmmm promising, I must turn a blind eye to my hatred for prosecutors and see sense in the big gun!

Archived