Hello

Thanks for taking the time to have a look. Your feedback is very much appreciated. Also, please feel free to be blunt - no hard feelings on my part - I'm here to learn and improve so any suggestions, comments, and/or observations you share are most welcome.

I don't normally feel confident enough to share WIPs but this seems like such a great community I figure I'll try it out here :)

AoS minis currently working on:

• Herald of Tzeentch on Chariot (pulled by Screamers)
  • Neferata, Mortarch of Blood

I'm way further along on my Herald of Tzeentch, so I'll start there

Herald of Tzeentch on Chariot....with Screamers!                   

First pass at getting the base colors onto most of the model at this point the photo shows the bones of the base I had in mind. I wanted to create a 'large wave' for the Screamers to be plunging out of so that they were higher up and their bellies could be viewed more easily.

The supports for the chariot are these 'wave crest' shaped things which some people consider to represent magic but I saw more traditional waves since to me, the Screamers are stingrays. 

So, armed with some cardboard and my trusty hot melt glue gun, and a whole bunch of glue sticks... I came up with this:

20160524_224723.jpg

Then, I went to town with my hot melt glue, covering up all the cardboard:

20160525_162204.jpg

Next, time to create 'wave shape' things that I could put onto the front of the base to finish up the structure. Because of the weird shape of the support structure that comes with this model, some of the waves need to be almost 'U' shaped. I finally came up with way to start the shape on the back of a glass plate, build up the layers to create the width of the wave, and then finish off any jagged edges after peeling the wavelet off the glass pate.

20160525_162314.jpg

Once I had all my wavelets made, I glued them onto the base as needed to make it seem visually balanced to my eye. I found the clear hot melt glue was hard to 'see' so part way through the process I primed it with regular Rustoleum primer.

20160525_162152.jpg

On to painting all that glue.... Even after priming, it was hard to get the right shading going. The base required LOTS of different layers, colors and dry brush layers to end up with something even remotely resembling the waves I had envisioned. Magic / Water / could be either. :)

20160630_202511.jpg

The resulting base with the model on it:

20160630_202501.jpg

From the front (view of the waves)

20160604_140921.jpg

Thanks both of you! :)

I have found so many uses for hot melt glue on my models now that I have the glue gun handy.  I've used hot melt glue to make guts and gore even!

Below is a photo of a small base, with an overgrown 'jungle' feel to it. I got that texture by rubbing the hot tip of the glue gun up and down the sides of the 'already cooled' glue, to create all the tiny vines and details:

Audre_HoffmanGang_03.png

Once you get going with the glue gun, I think you'll have fun.

Damn dude, I'm glad I convinced you to do a blog.

I tried doing something similar with my Nurgle Warshrine - but used greenstuff and it looks like ******.  Not the good kind.  I'll have to snag this idea and find a glue gun to steal.

Top notch stuff dude (at least to my chaos eye).  That chariot is banging.

I'd invite you to my blog but that ******'s amateur hour to this. 

Keep rockin'

Hey Goodwin! Thanks so much for the very kind words!

I just had a visit to your blog and saw that your models are nothing to sneeze at - very nice!

I'm not a huge fan of 'the green stuff', not sure why. I prefer sculpey, most likely because of its much longer workable time. With green stuff I always feel like I'm under pressure to 'perform' before the time runs out on it.

My latest bit with sculpey is a bunch of battle remains (skulls, rib cages, bones etc). It was really fun. I sat and made these while watching tv.

20160709_230956.jpg

These are for my Mortarch project, which I'm also working on at the moment. My goal is to have all 3 riders (Arkhan, Neferata, and Mannfred) interchangeable with magnetized seats (along with the different dragon heads and battle armor.

Haha, dig the skulls and bones!  That'll add a neat touch to some bases.

The Mortarchs are so cool.  I impulse bought Nagash and one (for Arkhan) when ET dropped and I had just finished reading the Neferreta/W'Soran books.

I've buried them for now though.  My united Chaos armies need to triumph!

@Goodwin - LOL RE: Impulse buying. I just had a sobering session when I pulled together some of my latest model purchases into a spreadsheet. Let me tell you, it's not pretty! I'm just starting into this and already thousands of dollars poorer. Can you say SUCKAHhhh!? 

I can't wait to see what you do with your Mortarch. :o

I am not happy with my Mortarch at all. I was going for a 'realistic bone and blood' theme, but the huge amount of bone on that skeleton-vampire-dragon mount makes the whole thing rather 'blah' white/grey. Up close, the bones look nice, and in fact, I played a joke on a friend by laying the model down in the grass, then having them to come over to help me identify this 'dead carcass' I'd found. My friend was truly thinking it was a real dead thing. LOL

But, even though I spent time on cracks and weathering and it DOES look like old bones,as a whole it just doesn't have that visual POW! that the colorful Chaos figures have. :( So, I am resorting to making the base fancier and trying to think of how to make Neferata's gown more striking to make up for it. (I will update my WIP to show you what I mean. I'm hoping to get some feedback that might help me spruce things up a bit?)

I now realize why GW painted the skeleton black - D'oh. Real bones just aren't that visually appealing.

@Blueisola - Thanks for the feedback! And, yes, I am now officially a hot-melt-glue-junky. :)

@Nixon - Hey thanks so much!

Thanks everyone who has taken the time to look and comment. Your feedback and support is REALLY APPRECIATED! I'm kinda fired up now, about getting my stuff finished.

Herald of Tzeentch on Chariot....with Screamers!         ALMOST DONE!    

YAY! I've got quite a few of the details on now... final steps will be dry brushing the hilights in, and possibly re-doing gems. (I've been practising and think I can do them better, now)

Here's the belly side of the Screamers:
Audre_HeraldOfTzeentch_04.png

If I do screamers again, I think I will work on adding just a bit texture onto the tusks - to make it easier to paint them. I'm not quite happy with these tusks but I do like how the bellies came out! I LOVE washes!

And here is a bit closer up of the Herald, almost done, yay!

Audre_HeraldOfTzeentch_06.png

I'm not a huge fan of the moon-face version. So, I also want to paint up the bird-face and 'monster'-face, too, and have them all interchangeable. 

Archived