What was 1 thing that completely changed the way you paint?

Barimbino

When starting out it was a real eye opener to use a wash before going back to the base color and then a highlight. 

What got me to a new level is a wet palet. It is great to mix colors, thin you paint properly and nothing drying out. 

Also, just be bold. Just try new stuff. If you want to try a technigue like NMM just go for it. This also goes for sculpting and converting. 

When I started, a lesson at GW  on one of the 4th ed plastic high elves, learnt about shading and highlighting, that changed everything. More recently, the 'eavy metal masterclass articles taught me so much - I paint pallid skin totally differently as a result (mixing normal flesh colours, greys and deep browns), and learnt blending and glazing etc. Yet to try NMM but will if I ever get a promo/freebie stormcast or the like.

I think three things really set my painting in the right direction. These are in no particular order.

1) Finding the right brush for the job. Once I learned and purchased the brushes that felt comfortable to me for the way I paint, and what I was painting, I noticed an immediate improvement.

2) Consistent practice on the same type of model. This one is a given I'm sure, but I spent a three week period painting the same type of model for at least 1-2 hours a night and I feel it really helped me in many ways.

3) Joining TGA. Without this place and it's great community I feel like I wouldn't have the same motivation or inspiration.

These three things were integral to me becoming the painter I am today, and I think if I continue keeping them in mind moving forward, the sky's the limit.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Archived