Sentinels of Jotungard (Stormcast and Clockwork Freepeople)

Melcavuk

Cheers, I've always loved the sheer number of conversion parts available in the 40K range. This is why I'm so fond of Stormcast, their cross compatibility with the Custodes and Space marines both from the GW and Forgeworld Ranges. I've managed to make a few edits to the model in order to raise him up slightly, and gap fill the joins in the larger base aswell as sorting his on foot basing too.

Celestant3.jpg

Celestant2.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Melcavuk said:

Cheers, I've always loved the sheer number of conversion parts available in the 40K range. This is why I'm so fond of Stormcast, their cross compatibility with the Custodes and Space marines both from the GW and Forgeworld Ranges. I've managed to make a few edits to the model in order to raise him up slightly, and gap fill the joins in the larger base aswell as sorting his on foot basing too.

Celestant3.jpg

Celestant2.jpg

Damnnnn I love this model. Well done. 

I saw you were talking about Ulric bro g involved in your army. Would you consider making a model of him, perhaps using Stardrake or Celestant Prime rules?

I'm looking at using the Valdor model as the basis for my Ulric when I find the right way to "mount" him on something. I was thinking something along the lines of a Frost Wyrm but I cant find a suitable base model (gw only) to give that idea legs. The next idea is to combine the new Idoneth avatar model with the Valdor model to have him literally elevated on a cloak of frost an ice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Melcavuk said:

I'm looking at using the Valdor model as the basis for my Ulric when I find the right way to "mount" him on something. I was thinking something along the lines of a Frost Wyrm but I cant find a suitable base model (gw only) to give that idea legs. The next idea is to combine the new Idoneth avatar model with the Valdor model to have him literally elevated on a cloak of frost an ice.

A modified dark elf black dragon could be an option? 

Failing that the idoneth idea sounds awesome. 

The dark elf black dragon suffers the same issue as most dragons in the range. It’s normal sized whilst stormcast are oversized and they then make the dragons look tiny. The Forgeworld magma dragon has the right bulk but would need the saddle/legs from the dracothians or mounted custodes in order to look right and would hit roughly 200 for the character in total 

• Like 1

Next steps on my Lord Celestant model, a few touches of paint onto the armour and started blocking out base colours on the rest of the model. I'm aiming for an older wizened look for the face to represent centuries of torture in the prisons of Nagash. Cape and furs are up next when my Airbrush arrives!

(Greenstuff mount point on back to attach shield)Celestant3.jpg.1a5ec2c20936e8bd53a0705b1a5a064f.jpg013.JPG.0f34a1ab3278c796eb89e701ea3c66f4.JPG

Managed to get more work done today and collate what I have on hand thus far, also found three prosecutors in my bits box so I'm chalking that up as a win.

The army so far stands at:

Lord Celestant (both on and off mount) - Painted
Neave Blacktalon (Painted)
5 Liberators (without helmet) - Painted
5 Liberators (with helmet) - Part Painted
3 Werewolves (Count as Concussors) - Alpha painted, 2 packmates part painted
3 "Gryph" Hounds - Painted
10 Vanguard Hunters (Primed)
1 Wolf Riders - Converted
3 Prosecutors (Primed)

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

• Like 7

Working on something a little different to my Feral Stormcast today, my Girlfriend wanted something for a more Naturey Aelf army but loved the Gryph Charger models. So here's an Aelf trick riding a Gryph (reins to be added when this greenstuff dries and tidying up the armour on her back. The background for these Aelves works around Exiles who bond their souls to animals in order to stave off Soul degredation, doing so is a parasitic act rather than symbiotic as they eventually wear down the beast with which they had bonded, prematurely aging it before eventually consuming it entirely. The older the Aelf in question the more intuitively they have bonded with beasts, always bonding with a similar creature their very minds take on traits of the souls gthey have consumed.

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Melcavuk said:

Working on something a little different to my Feral Stormcast today, my Girlfriend wanted something for a more Naturey Aelf army but loved the Gryph Charger models. So here's an Aelf trick riding a Gryph (reins to be added when this greenstuff dries and tidying up the armour on her back. The background for these Aelves works around Exiles who bond their souls to animals in order to stave off Soul degredation, doing so is a parasitic act rather than symbiotic as they eventually wear down the beast with which they had bonded, prematurely aging it before eventually consuming it entirely. The older the Aelf in question the more intuitively they have bonded with beasts, always bonding with a similar creature their very minds take on traits of the souls gthey have consumed.

That's one awesome backstory! 

4 minutes ago, Pariah said:

That's one awesome backstory! 

Cheers, it stemmed from her brief of "I just want Nature Aelves with animals!" and I tend to have to grimdark everything up a little. I also like exploring the concept of Aelves without a benevolent god, literally having to find their own way of surviving in the wilds, it leaves them nomadic as if they remain in one area too long they will end up wearing through all of the local Fauna and decimating the wildlife, so at once they want to protect the natural wilds and are themselves a danger to it.

• Like 1

More work completed on my squad of Afflicted Paladins for my Stormcast host, pack leader just needs basing sorted and then I need to work through some of the smaller details of the rest of the pack and sort out all bases. And then finally will be weapon and shield glows on the two packmates.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

• Like 5

Absolutely stunning work as always, I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see what other wonders you come up with. In particular the combining of Space Wolves and Stormcast parts. I have been toying with doing the same thing but in reverse, using the Vangard as count as Space Wolves with Palladors as Thunderwolfs.

I'm considering a conversion but its hard to tell if its a good idea or ultimately would just be a terrible waste of money (Anyone whose seen my previous conversions might lean toward the latter but I dont do things small 1f61b.png:P) whenever I'm in a creative slump I like to go through and plan one big piece that hopefully inspires me to make an army. Most of the time this involves browsing every monster in the GW range in order to find one that speaks to my current mood.

So what does the community think of the following:

Suneater riding Magma Dragon 

The conversion itself is simple enough, most of the Ogor firebelly model, the legs and saddle from the stonehorn model and ofcourse the beautifully sculpted forgeworld magma dragon with some greenstuffing to blend it all together. In my head it ofcourse looks amazing but I'm not sure if it reaches the point in cost where alot of players hate custom scrolls (mostly because people tend to get over excited and make it OP) and might ruffle people the wrong way

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Melcavuk said:

I'm considering a conversion but its hard to tell if its a good idea or ultimately would just be a terrible waste of money (Anyone whose seen my previous conversions might lean toward the latter but I dont do things small 1f61b.png:P) whenever I'm in a creative slump I like to go through and plan one big piece that hopefully inspires me to make an army. Most of the time this involves browsing every monster in the GW range in order to find one that speaks to my current mood.

So what does the community think of the following:

Suneater riding Magma Dragon 

The conversion itself is simple enough, most of the Ogor firebelly model, the legs and saddle from the stonehorn model and ofcourse the beautifully sculpted forgeworld magma dragon with some greenstuffing to blend it all together. In my head it ofcourse looks amazing but I'm not sure if it reaches the point in cost where alot of players hate custom scrolls (mostly because people tend to get over excited and make it OP) and might ruffle people the wrong way

That sounds amazing and on behalf of the world I’d ask that you make it 

• Like 2

Cheers, the cost is somewhat prohibitive but its the first time I've had some rough flesh on a destruction army concept to work with in quite a while. Was considering trying to go back to competitive play for a while there but I cant find the joy in running the numbers of taking only the best units (to a degree it seems quite soulless to me creatively) so I may end up going the other way and working on a custom battletome army which left either death or destruction as the two lacking variation.

So far possible conversions:

Prophet of the Suneater on Fire Dragon

Slatr Warbeast - Squiggoth with Ogor drummer and either a cannon on the front or a crew of Orruks with nets/spears
Mighty Slatr - Gargantuan Squiggoth, see above but with War mammoth profile and ability to embark units on it.

Edited by Melcavuk
  • Like 1

To me the Suneater riding Magma Dragon sounds like an interested idea and I would love to see what you do for this.

In terms of rules, would it work ok as a count as Stardrake for the Sentinels of Jotungard? Or would this be the start of an entire new army?

Squiggoth with cannon and orger drummer sounds interesting as well but the first thing that came to my mind was a 40k Squiggoth with some ork lightning gun thing. I am sure that whatever concept you are working on it will look great and completely different but Dawn of War gamplay just keeps going round my head.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 3/29/2018 at 7:54 AM, Melcavuk said:

Four of the Sentinels of Jotungard now fully painted alongside a test scheme on the first of my Cogs (Clockwork soldiers), also a slight conversion on the Neave model and I've just finished three of the werewolf counts as dracothian guard assemblies (no photo there yet)

Cog1.jpg

Pair.jpg.JPG

Zephyros.jpg

Liberators.jpg

Which kit did you get these groin area pelts from please?

• 3 months later...
On 2/17/2019 at 6:04 AM, Melcavuk said:

Mostly I just laid the greenstuff over the original feature before sculpting on the fur, and then tidied up the edges afterwards, as it was fur the edges didnt have to be perfectly smooth so it was very forgiving work.

Thanks for sharing this, they look absolutely fantastic and very inspiring! I've been recently looking into a Norse/Viking inspired Stormcast army myself, but got no experience kitbashing at all yet (and in fact just started the hobby roughly half a year ago). Can I ask you where you got the heads? They fit so well. And in general, how difficult is it to achieve something that would resemble the amazing stuff you made for a beginner like me?

Thanks in advance for helping out!

• Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 12:14 PM, Rickon said:

Thanks for sharing this, they look absolutely fantastic and very inspiring! I've been recently looking into a Norse/Viking inspired Stormcast army myself, but got no experience kitbashing at all yet (and in fact just started the hobby roughly half a year ago). Can I ask you where you got the heads? They fit so well. And in general, how difficult is it to achieve something that would resemble the amazing stuff you made for a beginner like me?

Thanks in advance for helping out!

I'm not great with greenstuff myself, largely its just a case of blocking out the area you want as fur and then gently incising with a knife and dragging in the directionality of the fur repeatidly to make strands. 

The heads are all forgeworld Space Wolf Grey Slayers (shields are too) from the Horus heresy, they seemed to fit the existing models well.