Converting Fenrisian Wolves into Dire Wolves

5kaven5lave

Hi all,

Was looking for some help for this conversion from more experienced heads. So I’ve bought FWolves to convert as they look nice. Basically there’s about a 1min vid on YouTube where they use loads of washes and get it looking wolfy really quickly so I’m gonna paint them up like that, but I need to convert it a bit too. 

Ideas so far:

Wash all paws, mouth and blank white eyes with Carroburg Crimson, then add loads of Blood for the Blood God. 

The other idea I had was spears with the shafts snapped off at irregular angles glued into its flanks as if it had seen a few battles before and was undead blah blah so the spears are still stuck in it. Obviously would cut off part of the blade at an angle too before sticking it on pre-paint. Anyone tried anything like that before?

Any comments or other ideas for the conversion greatly welcome. 

Cheers. 

If you can give it a dead look in the face (eye the pure white eyes idea you've suggested) then you could get away with weapons impaled into it without having to paint blood all over it. Ergo as its undead it should be pretty blood-free after a few battles. So the only blood within it would be on its paws and face from where its gored and savaged the enemy. 

If you wanted to be more bold you could try filing off some of the fur effect to paint as pale skin or even put a torn strip of greenstuff to show that its got torn flesh. However that would likely be more tricky to pull off and look convincing without it looking daft

Cool, thanks for the response man. I’ll keep the blood on the paws and mouth then but might put a little bit on the spear blades for flavour (it might have bled at some point before or it could just be a bloody spear I guess...?) but won’t have gallons of blood coming out of gaping wounds in its sides.

I think keeping it simple will work best for me as I’ve never really done anything other than ‘paint it like the box’ before. 

Another idea would be to paint blood on the paws and face, but then paint the wounds a more green and putrid/diseased colour or yellowy puss. That way the best has that dead and decaying look to it and looks more akin to the dead direwolves than a normal wolf with red blood flowing from it.

While maybe misleading given they aren't ghosts in game, I thinking painting them like ghost wolves would also be pretty cool.

But yea putrid, rotting colors to create a zombie like effect seems the most straightforward way without resorting to sculpting or additional parts.

Pah, mine will be sleek black creatures of the night.

They‘ll be outriders of my Vamps hunting party, so no thrice ressurected stitched up fur-balls. Lord Finsterfürst demands no less...

Going for pure black silky fur, slightly bloodied paws and fangs, but then try hard osl eyes.

?red/green/blue/yellow?

probably blue-white and green-yellow

I agree that a lot of their flavor can be sold in the eyes.

Glowing eyes don't look natural and it adds to the effect.

I can also say it's really easy to overdue it on the blood to the point it just becomes a generic bloody miniature.

You can also (safely) use an xacto blade or another tool and just put some gash marks into it, so the creature looks wounded.

Broken weapons would probably be the stand-out detail on them, I think that will look cool. You can also put arrows/weapons on the base around the wolves.

Cutting with a blade on a model depends on the model. It works great for putting slashes and scratches on armour or skin or scale; but on fur it doesn't really work as long fur won't scar like that. Though you could certainly scratch up the lower legs. 

Creepy thought and only for the brave: you could try to gut the wolves. 

Instead of filling the belly-gap cut it wide open, maybe while still on the frame and fill the interior partially with green stuff. Total pros could go for wild flying intestines modeled with wire and such. Totally out of my league, but could look awesome

Disclaimer: These aren’t mine, they were brought into my local GW several years ago. I took the pictures of them with the approval of the owner because they were a seriously inspiring paint job (for me.)

Here’s some examples to give you ideas.

These were Fenrissian Wolves, repainted to be Flesh Hounds of Khorne.

07B6D307-8FAA-41E3-891A-DB1A53DFFC1D.jpeg.8734c26077ca1c412d8ef8f55cb7dc8d.jpeg659B7CDD-A0F3-44B8-8011-E7A17B65A3DB.jpeg.e160ebee8bb17d20222b6d9d753f29c3.jpeg

My advice:

Figure out your color scheme, and go!

Not a fenrisian wolf or a dire wolf, but...

IMG_20171229_100251.jpg.5a589ad01d2ac8b2a9337ed0f9de6d6a.jpgIMG_20171229_095343.jpg.6447ef6d81037c902bf0e3a527d74ff0.jpgIMG_20171229_095213.jpg.9d59e524f12bf8a4eb4d37c293fe1bf4.jpgIMG_20171229_095121.jpg.128a798e12c72234c8a285b05aed183e.jpgIMG_20171229_095138.jpg.800f747deb8c37125348b6b23e5886ec.jpg5a9f40c17dce7_IMG_20171229_0932072.jpg.d118dded3e080b4b38ff8b79fabca1be.jpg

I actually used fenrisian wolves as Proxy hunting hounds for my Wanderer army before they were purged along with the other compendium units, but they aren't painted.

10 hours ago, Josh said:

ive done the same,  attempted to do glowing eyes & its not like they can be mistaken for anything else

Still wip

DXo4sDnU8AAPI8l.jpg:large

I like it^^ Personally I would go for red eyes as it gives a nice contrast and fits the vampire theme. But green "necromancy" like also fits really nicely^^

And I guess fairly simple to bust through 10-20... 

basecoat with an airbrush darkest grey, then some drybrushing to brightest desired highlight. Details on the paws and mighty osl (just saw some really nice purple)...

finished

1 hour ago, 5kaven5lave said:

What’s your recipe for the colour scheme if you don’t mind sharing?

just black with gradual addition of bone, wash with black until youre happy

36 minutes ago, Arael_Greywings said:

I like it^^ Personally I would go for red eyes as it gives a nice contrast and fits the vampire theme. But green "necromancy" like also fits really nicely^^

I agree but green is one of my armies colours so just a little something to tie it in with the rest of my force

26907807_2083436365210113_22134241866622

3 hours ago, Josh said:

just black with gradual addition of bone, wash with black until youre happy

I agree but green is one of my armies colours so just a little something to tie it in with the rest of my force

26907807_2083436365210113_22134241866622

I really like the colour scheme mate^^ But didnt you overdo it a little when it came to basing? ;) Not that I dont think the dice on bases look awesome :P

Btw. what are the two Big guys just between the two plates?

11 hours ago, Arael_Greywings said:

I really like the colour scheme mate^^ But didnt you overdo it a little when it came to basing? ;) Not that I dont think the dice on bases look awesome :P

Btw. what are the two Big guys just between the two plates?

im really not following?

4 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

They look awesome man, thanks for sharing. So if I sprayed chaos black then drybrush ushabti bone and wash with nuln oil it’d look something like that?

i just added bone to the black gradually, if that makes sense

3 hours ago, Arael_Greywings said:

Behind the mourngoul, on the table there are two big Models^^ I was curious what they are.

verminlord warpseer & verminlord deceiver (skaven models) 

Archived