Creating a 2k army around Archaon

Adasi

So i've had a few games under SCGT with the following list (new points added for reference) and i'm unsure how to develop it towards a 2k tournament limit for the new matched play. I need to stress i dont win tournaments. I suck in fact so i'm going with the rule of cool mostly! Having sold a load of my mates' armies on eBay i inherited a lot of his old Chaos (Slaves to Darkness)

Archaon 700
Bloodsecrator 120
10 Chosen 320
40 Bloodreavers 240
Hellcannon 300

This comes to 1680 in new money giving me 320 to play with. Gives me a big cool centrepiece model (best model GW have ever made IMO), cool shooting from range, a horde of disposable walking spam and a hard hitting unit.

Originally i was just going to add another 10 chosen but now i realise i need another battleline as i intend on deploying the BR in 2x20 so came up with the following options (wanting to keep it khorne themed)

Option 1:
Sorc Lord 140
10x Bloodletters 100
Chariot 80

Option 2:
20x Bloodletters 200
2x Spawn 120

Which is better? Bigger unit for holding objectives or smaller unit held back for dealing MW and a wizard for funsies!?

Any other suggestions?

If I can give you my thoughts, Archaon gives his best with others Heroes with command abilities. I would reconsider your list putting in some cool single-model.

But all depends on the way you like to play :)

On the two options, I like the 1st more.

ok cool - thanks for the advice.

I guess a third option would be:
10x Bloodletters
Mighty Lord of Khorne
Bloodstoker

Everything gets into combat quicker, get a cool command ability from the MLoK. Not quite sure what the maximum amount of leaders are yet @2000pts but i know there's some tricksy combo to get Archaon's double 6 ability to pop on 4's i just dont know what heroes are needed for that and i'm not too bothered about "gaming" for it if it meant dropping something cool

You could add in a Lord on juggernaut for +1 to wound, which is nice on archaon. Badass model to boot.

I think 10 blood letters just isn't enough to be worth it - they'll die too quickly to be tough in combat.

Potentially think about Varanguard instead of chosen for a fast moving unit that can keep up with archaon.

I've been trying to work out what units I'd like in a 2k list with Archaon and it's really hard! I think he might be more suited to 2.5k and beyond.

28 minutes ago, Marc Wilson said:

Whilst I was perusing the GH in my local GW I couldn't help but notice 5 of 6 matched play scenarios are scored with 'most models within 6" of x' which might see low model number armies at somewhat of a disadvantage.

That should be units, not models. 

26 minutes ago, RossMHoward said:

That should be units, not models. 

Not the proper thread for this, but models is better, because someone who opts for the strongest list possible - Archaon, 3 units of varanguard, and the gaunt summoner will have a natural disadvantage (that the overcome by murdering everything).

10 minutes ago, daedalus81 said:

Not the proper thread for this, but models is better, because someone who opts for the strongest list possible - Archaon, 3 units of varanguard, and the gaunt summoner will have a natural disadvantage (that the overcome by murdering everything).

Again, not the proper place and not wanting to derail it further, but in my mind the SCGT pack had this spot on with "scoring" units. ie needing units with 5 wounds worth of models (starting profile) to claim an objective. You can then mix it up by saying in some battleplans you need battleline, or leader, or behemoth units to score, or conversely that certain battlefield roles cannot claim.

Again, not the proper place and not wanting to derail it further, but in my mind the SCGT pack had this spot on with "scoring" units. ie needing units with 5 wounds worth of models (starting profile) to claim an objective. You can then mix it up by saying in some battleplans you need battleline, or leader, or behemoth units to score, or conversely that certain battlefield roles cannot claim.

Agreed.

If the number of models counts, then this explains the requirement for battleline units (not that I agree with the concept of Battleline units anyway).

Varanguard 

& the following khrone heroes would be amazing

mightylord if khorne

aspiring death bringer 

lord of Khorne on a juggernaut

this lets archeon activate

+1 attack

3d6 best 2 charge

+1 to wound rolls for units who charged

and you still have 2 leader slots left to play with. 

17 hours ago, TrexPushups said:

Varanguard 

& the following khrone heroes would be amazing

mightylord if khorne

aspiring death bringer 

lord of Khorne on a juggernaut

this lets archeon activate

+1 attack

3d6 best 2 charge

and you still have 2 leader slots left to play with. 

i've been unsure how Archaon's command ability manages all that. It's my understanding that to use the command ability that model must be your warlord.

Archaon's ability lets you use any other chaos command ability in range but that surely doesn't get round the fact that for instance on the Khorne Juggerlord it says" if this model is your general"....well he's not, Archaon is so i can't use it?

??

Adam

1 hour ago, Adasi said:

i've been unsure how Archaon's command ability manages all that. It's my understanding that to use the command ability that model must be your warlord.

Archaon's ability lets you use any other chaos command ability in range but that surely doesn't get round the fact that for instance on the Khorne Juggerlord it says" if this model is your general"....well he's not, Archaon is so i can't use it?

Yea, I think you're correct in that assumption.

You can use the command ability of the Juggerlord. It says the "if this model is your general" on most units with command abilities. There's a command ability on the warscroll, therefore it's usable if Archaon uses his own one.

3 minutes ago, Nico said:

You can use the command ability of the Juggerlord. It says the "if this model is your general" on most units with command abilities.

Right, but many don't.  Archaon's ability doesn't provide any override to other rules.  It just bypasses one command ability.  The language for being a general doesn't go away and we can't simply ignore it.

It still fits the wording of Archaon's rule, "all other CHAOS units... that have command abilities on their warscroll can immediately use them". It's clearly intended to override the normal rule. Just like Kroak's cast aoe spam three times is expressly intended to override the cap on casting a spell once per wizard.

2 hours ago, Arkiham said:

The archaons command ability question is a rather silly question of course it activates it, raw rule lawyers trying to take over again.

It has also been faq'd so yes it activates any hero with a command ability. 

Totally unnecessary.  A different point of view does  not make one a rules lawyer.  And if it's in a FAQ than it was unclear enough to warrant an answer.

Sweet now that the FAQ has cleared things up I think my suggestion is worth discussing again.

I think those three abilities really stack up well.

+1 attack

3d6 best 2 charge

Really seem to work fantastically for everchosen. 

Archived