Battleline for Oruuks

Durant

53 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

Non keyword armies it's orruks, savage orruks, grots, ogors. Melee only. Keyword ironjawz armies get ardboyz and brutes.

Correct. Worth noting that Gore-gruntas are also battleline for pure Ironjawz. It's kinda nice as all 3 of the Ironjawz battleline units are 180 points, making them easily interchangeable.

27 minutes ago, Durant said:

And I would need 3 for 2000pts game right?

Correct. All of them cost 100 points (for 10 Orruks or 20 Grots) with the exception of the Ogors which are 120 (for 3).

33 minutes ago, Durant said:

So Ironjaws have no not battleline units, interesting...

First thoght it is stupid second wait there can be something in that.....

Ironjaws are metal hence why they are not battleline but if you go pure ironjaws? Oh boy they hurt a lot. 

5 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

Non keyword armies it's orruks, savage orruks, grots, ogors. Melee only. Keyword ironjawz armies get ardboyz and brutes.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Melee only - really? If grots or orcs are equiped with bows, they aren't battleline?

That seems unnecessarily pedantic.

Seems to be the case from the Q&A with Ben. Rather unnecessary I know. I feel like this is only being tested however, we may see a change in destruction battleline options in a bit, especially with new rules coming out for the bonesplitterz and beastclaw. I  guess they didn't want people to just get three units of moonclan archers - it's what I would do.

Moonclan archers are so bad, 20 of them will drop an epic 2.22 wounds on the enemy (before saves). I was making some yesterday and opted for the stabbas. The Moonclan grots are decent as battleline generally though (very cheap).

1 hour ago, Furious said:

Melee only - really? If grots or orcs are equiped with bows, they aren't battleline?

I can't see that this is the case. They are part of the same scroll which is listed as battleline (as opposed to there being a separate scroll for "Arrer Boyz" or whatever) so I don't see there being a differentiation, unless of course there is a caveat which disallows this. I haven't seen anything of the sort and am firmly under the impression that you could equip your Orruks or Grots with any of the options on those scrolls and they'd be battleline.

One thing worth noting, which I forgot to mention in the "Competitive Ironjawz" thread is that many of the battleplans in Matched Play require a greater number of models to win. Not wounds, or units. This numerical advantage does make 20 Grots for 100 a valid choice over 10 Orruks or 3 Ogors potentially.

36 minutes ago, Nico said:

Moonclan archers are so bad, 20 of them will drop an epic 2.22 wounds on the enemy (before saves). I was making some yesterday and opted for the stabbas. The Moonclan grots are decent as battleline generally though (very cheap).

They have their uses, but yes - they aren't significantly more worthwhile than spears or swords to be not battleline. Same goes for orcs. IMO

I imagine then, if it's one battlescroll with multiple options, that it might be something overlooked at be rectified in an FAQ. Either way, I'm sitting on a long upainted set of skull pass, so that's either two small moonclan battleline units, or one big one :)

16 hours ago, N_Watson said:

In the book, only the melee variant has "Batleline" in the column. The ranged variants are blank in that column. 

The only one of our battleline units that has a "ranged variant" (ie separate warscroll) is the Savage Orruks. In this instance the Savage Orruk Arrowboyz are not battleline.

Orruks and Grots do not have a separate warscroll for missile armed units, it's just one of the options available. These would count as battleline.

Unless of course I am completely overlooking something...which is entirely possible! :P

14 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

The only one of our battleline units that has a "ranged variant" (ie separate warscroll) is the Savage Orruks. In this instance the Savage Orruk Arrowboyz are not battleline.

Orruks and Grots do not have a separate warscroll for missile armed units, it's just one of the options available. These would count as battleline.

Unless of course I am completely overlooking something...which is entirely possible! :P

Your right. The pictures I have have bonespliterz before the other factions so I just assumed. The orruks and grots do not have a separate listing on the tables that I can see. 

The models really don't appeal to me though. The savage ones do look a little better lol. 

14 minutes ago, N_Watson said:

The models really don't appeal to me though. The savage ones do look a little better lol. 

I agree completely. It's currently a sticking point for me to try and find some battleline tax that I like aesthetically....not a position I expected to find myself in with AoS. Considering just keeping to pure Ironjawz for now, not sure that I want to compromise the look of my army for the sakes of it perhaps performing slightly better on the table tbh.

@Chris Tomlin On the plus side, GW has shown that they are willing to FAQ on the app. If ironjawz need help, I'm hoping they will get it. 

As long as I can make the game fun, I won't be too bothered. Just need to get my guys tabletop ready to test stuff out. Got my first game with the handbook on Thursday at 1000 points. 

Taking this 

Megaboss x 1    140

Warchanter x 1    80

Brutes 2x5          360

Gruntas 1x3        180

Ardboys 1x10.     180

Ironfist formation 60

Still need to see what I can do about the items and stuff for the formation. Will decide on the day. 

Thinking about using the ardboys and gruntas to take objectives. Can buff the gruntas before a charge with warchanter. 

Playing against nurgle demons so I don't expect to win. 

Will let you all know here how I get on. 

That's not too bad @N_Watson - I quite like the list actually.

As it happens I've been playing about with 1,000pt lists quite a lot this week in preparation for a doubles events (I need to know what I'll have to get painted). I originally thought I'd have to take generic Destruction battleline unless me and my partner are both the same faction, but seems that may not be the case. Not having to take Orruks/Grots/Ogors at 1,000pts really improves the Ironjawz.

However that said, it looks like for some of the battleplans we'll need a behemoth, which creates a new headache. But that's something for another thread I guess. I think I might start a thread at some point tracking my army, with photos etc.

Anyway, let us know about your game. Good luck!

Archived