The Painting Contract - February 2018

TheOtherJosh

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I managed to get some work done on my last 10 Plaguebearers... the ones with green bases are the new skin tones, white bases are the old ones. I really need to write recipes down, but I guess plaguebearers are a good unit to mess around with tones on. 

Apologies for terrible pictures:

image.jpg?width=459&height=612

image.jpg?width=459&height=612

Hopefully I can finish the new batch and get everyone based tomorrow.

Another weekend of really good progress, though I have just realised quite how much I've got left to do xD  Need to work out what I've got that must be finished and what I can leave to finish until a later date!

I've done the very time consuming (and messy) jobs of adding grass tufts, painting all the base rims and applying textured paint.  Took less textured paint than I expected too which is a bonus.  You can also see two movement trays - one treated the same as the bases which ultimately I'd like to do to all of them (although this is very much not a priority job).  You can also see my pot of shields which I need to glue on this week.

All-Bases-2.jpg.bbf2056eb49536d51708d00caf9f6bc8.jpgAll-Bases-1.jpg.b44ae76a733dcbb8f01686a0f408a586.jpg

Nagadron has also had his base finished, and I've base coloured the armour and sorted out the spirit hosts.  The armour panels and his claws need doing, though claws could wait until after the event.

Neferata-WIP2.jpg.a51ede5b397f3c9f37ba718b82b17af1.jpg

And finally I've cracked into Neferata.  Really happy with how her dress has come out (couple of patches I could improve on though).  The armour needs some black applied to the shadows and I'm not happy with how her flesh has come out (though it'll do).  I'll be honest and say I rushed it Friday evening and should have waited until I had fresh eyes on Saturday.  Bone needs finishing off as well as it's only base coated.

Neferata-WIP3.jpg.1988503013f216f9ea92d678ca8b174e.jpgNeferata-WIP3c.jpg.04a906cab3771912a83cc8559648b710.jpgNeferata-WIP3b.jpg.2c6ac24d64e3341ce1aff29fd1239f04.jpg

So a little under 48 hours to go and so far I've done 20 Bloodreavers, 6 warriors, 5 wrathmongers, a bloodstoker, a slaughter priest and almost finished one herald. Still to do? 15 Flesh hounds, a second herald and,,,

er...

Skarbrand.

Might not make this one.

So last minute update and I'm almost there with everything except Skarbrand. We're in the middle of a col snap here in France and I don't fancy trying to spray him outside in the snow. It was a fairly slow month for me as I ended up spending two and a half weeks out of the country, but I did still manage to get the following stuff finished for my Blades of Khorne, and build some impulse purchases for my Nurgle. In total this month:

Painted: 20 Reavers, 6 Blood Warriors, 15 Flesh Hounds, 5 Wrath Mongers, 2 Bloodstokers, Skulltaker, Herald of Khorne, Slaughterpriest

Built: Skarbrand, Horticulous Slimux, Spoilpox Scrivener, 10 plaguebearers, 3 plague drones, 3 nurgling bases.

Total: 51 painted plus another 19 built

Wd4hJH9.jpg

Cd5kECg.jpg

@RuneBrush absolutely love the purple on the cloak. I always find purple so difficult and am never happy with it but this looks awesome.

@AGPO an amazing amount of models completed this month and looking good too.

@Sleboda the base really fits well with the overlords, looking forward to the arkanauts.

@Artobans Ghost I love the empire models and these are a great mix.

@DynamicCalories having a bit of an issue with my plaguebearers, wanted a quick just wash over scheme which I did over Sandro dust but wish I had just dry brushed ushabti to give a bit more colour variation but think that plaguebearers work really well as a mix so will just slightly change for next lot (if I ever get round to them).

i managed to squeeze alarielle in. Been built for about a year with some base painting done on the beetle and felt I had to paint her before getting morathi (which proved great motivation).

1E3D8E0D-A642-4F3B-B177-F9DD402D0F52.jpeg

19C7D5D1-D102-4801-B85E-C7A2A3048906.jpeg

B345E9E5-9775-4201-93EE-DB0F9A35BDCA.jpeg

3CA1B503-E972-4536-AC21-531134DC9459.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Oneyah said:

@RuneBrush absolutely love the purple on the cloak. I always find purple so difficult and am never happy with it but this looks awesome.

Thanks.  I've found it a tricky one too in the past, so it was a bit of a punt doing it on the centre piece model!  This was done using the Forge World purple (Chemos Purple) as the base, black into the shadows then added some bone colour to the purple for the main blend, followed by a glaze of Druchii Violet to bring it all together.  Finally edge highlighted with GW's Dechala Lilac.  

Alarielle is looking good!  Much prefer the beetle being a bit brighter too, I find a lot of the time it blends into the base

A few days late and technically a few bases left to do but my February pledge is in. 22 Reavers and a Slaughterpriest for my friends tournament list. Will be nice to paint some Stormcast for myself next?

IMG_20180303_142214094.jpg

IMG_20180303_142237797.jpg

Archived