Picking an army

Milford

Hi, all. I returned to Warhammer last week after a 10 year break. I have a box of 8 Bretonnian knights (but currently nothing else). I was planning to either run these as a unit of KotR or GKs in a mixed order army, but have been told they're not great (at least, there are better cavalry options out there). I definitely want to be able to field a competitive army, so the supposed mediocrity of this unit has been playing on my mind.

Given this, I'm thinking about starting a new army (and putting the knights to one side). The playstyle I'm interested in is an army with a a low-model-count, tanky defensive force with strong ranged power and decent magic. Then having some mobile units to flank and take objectives.

Have you guys got any suggestions of what would fit that? Cheers

1 hour ago, Milford said:

Given this, I'm thinking about starting a new army (and putting the knights to one side). The playstyle I'm interested in is an army with a a low-model-count, tanky defensive force with strong ranged power and decent magic. Then having some mobile units to flank and take objectives.

Have you guys got any suggestions of what would fit that? Cheers

Beastclaw Raiders fit that almost perfectly, except they don't have magic. What they do have are massive monsters with high wounds, stats and power. The Stonehorn is a defensive beast that halves the damage it takes and the Thundertusk does 6 automatic mortal wounds in shooting at full health. Definitely have a look them. 

I say it all depends on you personally. I know it sounds like a ****** of a answer but it is true.

If you do not play alot then a more... visually appealing army for you may be a better pick. "lots of center pieces"
If lots of troops and such are important armies like skaven and undead are good choices,
But if painting is less important then stormcast may be a good pic or beast claws. "few models and easier to paint"
But if a army of elites fast movers then orcs may be a good pic with their boars.

Try to think of things like are they going to be on display "in your house" ? played with alot? Do you like to paint? and things like that aswell as tatics for armies.

On 24/12/2017 at 8:03 PM, Milford said:

low-model-count, tanky defensive force with strong ranged power and decent magic. Then having some mobile units to flank and take objectives.

There are new Nurgle releases on the horizon

I don't think they have strong ranged power but the warhammer community reveals show they have  some ranged power. They are definitely tanky with cool magic and the new plague drone riders will give you some mobility.

Plus they are new, super cool and look awesome.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'm considering each of these options, but I've come up with another potential option which would allow me to use my knight models:

I was thinking of converting my 8 bretonnian knights into blood knights. I would keep the individual heraldry for each knight, but paint the models with a reddish hue. And I was thinking of magnetising the standard bearers arm (so that I could have one Grail knight standard, and one blood knight standard). The lore would be that this unit of "blood knights" are ex- grail knights that has been converted into vampires.

What do you guys reckon? Would these models be legal to play in official competition? Do they make sense lore-wise?

27 minutes ago, heywoah_twitch said:

Yes and Yes, provided you gave it a good go at conversion details.

Thanks for the quick response. I was planning to paint the armour of both the steeds and riders with a reddish metal colour, but to leave the cloth and heraldry as it would have been when they were grail knights. And then to have a blood knight standard for the unit. Do you think that would be enough? One option to go further is to add skull transfers to each knight's coat of arms.

Soulblight won't really fill your playstyle criteria very well

I think you would need a stormcast army with wizard allies or a mixed chaos (nurgle for tanky defensive units, Tzeentch for shooting and magic, and then you can get the mobile units from lots of Chaos factions.)

Both would be competitive though I personally wouldn't bother with more than 1 mage in a Stormcast army. There are prayers and abilities that fill the gaps

I would stop looking for ways to make use of 8 old models that may help you out in the very short term but are possibly going to distract you from using the army that suits you best.

If you are out of touch with the factions I would watch a bunch of battle reports on youtube and see what catches your attention. 

Archived