'Competitive' Ironjawz

Malakithe

1 hour ago, Malakithe said:

The Bonesplitterz one is really good. They have 2 army wide buffs. Anti-monster and ward save. 

Ironjawz better get something awesome. Their theme is already run forward and smash so it would need to be something that fits their fluffy rampaging style

I think that without bonuses to movement ironjawz just don't work. But even with being fast I feel we need access to mortal wounds and protection from them. 

Something like stock rampaging destroyers but on a 4-5 up roll we get a 6 up ignore to mortal wounds and rolls of 6 to wound deal mortal wounds? 

Too strong? 

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/12/2016 at 7:12 AM, Malakithe said:

Battle brew is probably best

@FunkyPunk Ive been using talisman on mine, having that moral wound protection(4+ save) has won me quite a few games.  The games that I haven't used it the mawkrusha gets wrecked, mostly by mortal wounds, before it can do enough damage.  I think that is also the problem with gordrakk, no way to get a ward save, super expensive.  One unit of 10 rets drops right next to you and you're are done.

I'm thinking shields and bigger units too if they are objective holders. Luckily I've still got 60 more to build...how did I end up with so many? FAVORITE MODELS! Yes, the Blorcs are my favorite kit and deserve the new name Ardboyz!

35 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Yeh I like the Talisman on my Cabbage tbh.

@Malakithe - Nice list. I don't like the Shaman, but everything else is good. I think multiple Ardboyz units is pretty key to the best Ironjawz units under matched play. I need to paint some more. I also think shields are the best option for them now.

Shaman is there to shield mostly. Or maybe shave off a wound here and there on something 

On 09/09/2016 at 0:37 PM, Garxia said:

If they ever do the Ironjawz allegiance traits/items/spells, they should be really really really good to be even considered to be picked over the Destruction ones.

Rampaging destroyers is really strong with Ironjaws, covering our most glaring weakness: mobility and just not forget at little candies like the Battle Brew...

Morkamen to dat, bruda.

I think that's one of the only detriment of points, the Weirdnob is just costed too high for the utility he brings imo. Beautiful model, but the rule of 1's and 120 points cost they will be seen few and far between in competitive matched play.

20 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Shaman is there to shield mostly. Or maybe shave off a wound here and there on something 

I think if you're intent on taking him, the best thing to do is get a marker pen and scribble out Foot of Gork on your warscroll ;) 

Great spell, but the temptation to cast it is a dreadful thing haha. Overall, I'm not a fan, 120 points for something that invariably does more damage to my army? No thanks.

19 hours ago, Dez said:

I think that's one of the only detriment of points, the Weirdnob is just costed too high for the utility he brings imo. Beautiful model, but the rule of 1's and 120 points cost they will be seen few and far between in competitive matched play.

Yeh...120 points is too rich for my blood. I think taking an Ardnob or a Warchanter then playing 20/40 points down is better. Gives you either a nice beatstick or another buff + a good chance at a Triumph. If you get the reroll armour saves that can have an impact not dissimilar to Mystic Shield on your 10 Brutes in a crucial combat phase.

Pete Foley was running two in his list at Warlords. I meant to discuss that with him actually. Will pick up on Twitter to see his thinking. All the pure Ironjawz players at that event did around about the same.

19 hours ago, Malakithe said:

That's why it's just one. As single minded as ironjawz are we do need more utility. One spell sucks ya but slapping a shield on my unit of 10 brutes could be the difference in a combat phase. Or help snipe a hero at random range.

Buffing the Deathstar further isn't really utility haha! But yeh, its a useful tool for sure. I do appreciate the desire to diversify though, I do see our single-mindedness as a bit of a negative within the army. If I branch out to generic Destruction, I will be picking up a nice 60pt Grot Shaman to do that very job!

I'd be interested to see how much use you get out of Green Puke in practice. As you say, it's random...more so than other spells. I think if you're taking the Weirdnob, it's all about that shield on the Brutes (or Cabbage depending on situation).

The other option is to try out the Weirdfist. Anyone with any experience of that? Problem is that the Ironfist is just too good, I think you really have to force yourself to look at the others.

Haha don't get me started with the weirdfist. I've been tossing around a weirdfist + ironfist list around too. 

My interpretation of the weirdfist is that it's for bodies and unexpected power. With 4 units of Ardboys around green puke becomes 2D6"+24" range. Damage is still random at D3+(0-4) mortal wounds. Foot though becomes super tempting at 18"+ 24" range and D6+(0-) with unlimited boosted potential.

So as the name implies...it's weird lol not sure how competitive it is thou...but maybe I'll try it just to be different. 

I got in a couple of games last night, I'm running a Path to Glory League/Campaign for my gaming group. Mainly so we can just get some games in for Age of Sigmar. 

I played versus a Mortal Chaos army dedicated to Khorne. He had:

Khorne Lord on Daemonic Mount

3 Skullcrushers

5 Knights

20 Warriors of Chaos

I had

Groggo da Kegsmasha, Bane of Aleguzzler Gargants and Champion of Flipadelphia. Oh, also a Megawarboss

Dave Lombardo (or Lum for short) Warchanter

5 Brutes

3 Gore-Gruntaz

I was at a clear disadvantage here, and even forgot to take my Triumph rolls. The first mission we played was Three Places of Power. Luckily, while he had all the manpower I had 2 Heroes. I deployed ignoring the Place to my right, and focused my army on the left and middle Place. My basic plan was to hold those 2 as best I could, and use the Gore-Gruntaz to pin down the big block of Warriors which they did pretty well. Brutes...so good. So, so good. They just destroyed everything they touched. They were charged by the Skullcrushers, but destroyed them speedily. Groggo was charged by the Knights, and was taken down to his last wound...but managed to take out the Knights and the Lord! I won this battle handily.

Next we played Border War, which I was ill prepared for. I think I did ok granted how badly I was outnumbered...as best as could be. I didn't score very highly :) What I did manage to do was rampage into the middle of the board with the Brutes and Gore-Gruntaz, while my Warchanter grabbed my objective and Groggo went off to the right to punch everything in the face. Almost managed to table my opponent this game, but that isn't how you win this scenario. He won in a landslide of points. Brutes just tore through Knights and the unit of 20 Warriors, while Groggo mopped up the rest.

So I was just messing around and came up with this: 

Megaboss
Megaboss
Warchanter
Warchanter
Ironfist:
Brutes ×10
Brutes ×5
Brutes ×5
Ironfist:
Brutes ×10
Brutes ×5
Brutes ×5

Lol 2 Ironfists. The sheer amount of brutes will make most people cry in terror. Does it work? Too much brute cheese? Will it blend?!

OMG WANT!!!

They are from NY...which is close to me...so many beer stores here...I'm on the hunt! I'm hoping I can get 12 of these, I have 2 tournaments coming up and I'd like to offer one to each my opponents to show them who's the boss!

6 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Ok I revised that other list. Doesn't sound too bad actually. 

Megaboss
Megaboss
Warchanter
Warchanter
Ironfist:
Brutes ×10
Ardboys ×10
Ardboys ×10
Ironfist:
Brutes ×10
Ardboys ×10
Ardboys ×10

Lots of bodies. 3 artefacts 

I have had a few more 2k games lately and while I have been considering something similar, I just don't know how effective it would be in the end. 

I have had to deal with a tree lord ancient that can end up with a 2 up save, ignoring rend 1 and it gets to reroll it's save rolls of one. 

Your list has no mortal wounds so you would need to either tie it up all game (possible) or try and avoid it.  You certainly can't kill it. 

I think that we kinda need to just suck it up and take the Mawcrusher and at least 1 shaman to be able to deal with things like this. You just need to make sure you get the most out of them by doing all you can to get the charge and not wasting a cast on Foot of Gordon (agree with  @Chris Tomlin on this one)          

Was watching the stream from the weekend again to see the ironjawz game. There was a bit where someone asked why the points aren't in the army books and they explained that it would be harder to update the points over time. I think we just need to hold tight and wait for an update to the points to either our Mawcrusher and shaman or for other stuff to be nerfed 

7 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Ok I revised that other list. Doesn't sound too bad actually. 

Megaboss
Megaboss
Warchanter
Warchanter
Ironfist:
Brutes ×10
Ardboys ×10
Ardboys ×10
Ironfist:
Brutes ×10
Ardboys ×10
Ardboys ×10

Lots of bodies. 3 artefacts 

This is the list I want to run (though I'd go 5 Brutes over a 4th unit of Ardboyz just cos I don't want to paint 40!). I think it's super solid.

Archived