Should I play Ironjawz if I already play Khorne?

JonnyTheKing

I did a jump from BRC to IJ, and apart from models count I've found little to no difference in how games were played. March forward and beat the living ****** out of your enemy. No shooting, no magic, no finesse. Just pure brute strength. And it was... surprisingly boring. Same garbage, different trash. So I've swapped back since I do love me some wooly-bully and migrated towards a completely different play-style army as my second one.

Unless you don't want much of a change in your games, go for it. But if you'll like to taste something different I'll say expand your horizons.

I have a Bloodbound  Army and an Ironjawz one. They are both combat orientated but play very differently. The Ironjawz are an elite force which although tough is suspectable to Mortal wounds and battle shock. The Bloodbound are much more numerous and while individually weaker they tend not to care about Mortal wounds or Battleshock.  I’d also say the Bloodbound work much more on synergies while the Ironjawz are more direct but less forgiving of mistakes. 

The lower model count of Ironjawz also means you can go to town on the hobby side and the models are great, which is also the case with Bloodbound but you’ve just got it paint so many of them, defo more fun than Bloodletters. 

Yes!  Although they still fall into a melee focused army there are a lot of differences as @Ollie Grimwood quite rightly says.  Ironjawz also have a much better selection of ally choices than Khorne has on offer, allowing you to include magic and ranged.  That said there are a number of similarities so it depends on why you're picking up a second army - if that reason is you'd like to play something that is less melee focused, then you could possibly be better off looking for something a little different, if it's you fancy a change and want to paint some different models then Ironjawz are certainly worth a go :)

I play both!  

My Khrone list is a bit odd however, it's Archaon + Gore Pilgrims.

They are totally different!  Ironjawz have the tankiness and are all about the fun time being had with a good punchup. 
Khorne is about corralling sheep for the slaughter.  

While I haven't played Khorne outside of the Starter Set, I have played about half of my games against Khorne with my Ironjawz, and I can tell you that there is a difference between the two armies.  At the lowest level, yes, they charge forward and engage in melee.  But it's the nuances and unit interplay that changes them up.

As others have mentioned, Khorne armies are much more reliant on buffs from outside units.  Between the Khorne characters or allied in Chaos allies (particularly Slaves to Darkness) you can get a large amount of buffs on several units.  For Ironjawz, there are fewer buffs to hand out, so the units are a bit more self-sufficient than Khorne.  Plus, Ironjawz buffs tend to work only in their Combat Phase, so they need to make their turn work for them more than others.

Khorne also has more ways to play thanks to their larger selection of units.  While Ironjawz have just three units, Khorne can take more than twice that.  So depending on how you played your Khorne army, you may have an opportunity to play something different from what you are used to.

That said, I would recommend picking up Ironjawz.  The models are an absolute joy to paint and convert.  After playing and painting Ironjawz exclusively for a year, I'm not tired of them yet!  The Brutes kit is probably one of the best ones that GW has produced in a long time, and I am having a lot of fun painting up the Gore-gruntas and Shadespire models.

On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:20 PM, RoyalDachshund said:

No shooting, no magic, no finesse. Just pure brute strength. And it was... surprisingly boring. Same garbage, different trash.

Wow...that sounds nothing like my experience with Ironjawz! :S 

@JonnyTheKing - What sort of Khorne build do you usually run? As others in the thread have said there may well be ways to build your lists so they are playing differently in game.

Maybe it is a matter of taste - no one is forcing no one to have the same experience. Games and players differ a lot. For me, it was little to no fun/change going from melee-oriented army to melee-oriented army with more units. The core of the gameplay and such army flaws remains the same, hence I'm suggesting leaning toward other "types" of an army. But whatever floats your boat I guess. I can't honestly agree with "this is something completely different approach" but it just may be my experience with such armies.

8 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Wow...that sounds nothing like my experience with Ironjawz! :S 

@JonnyTheKing - What sort of Khorne build do you usually run? As others in the thread have said there may well be ways to build your lists so they are playing differently in game.

I play mainly gore pilgrims with couple units of bloodletters, khorgaraths a bloodthirster, other couple of mortal heroes etc

Archived