Old World lore

Trout

I remember playing in my local store during the storm of chaos. I was on the chaos side then, and we almost tabled the allied good guys by turn 2. Chaos won the game, but the store literally fudged the result to an allied victory just because the manager liked empire lol.

I was maybe 15 at the time. I actually wrote a letter of complaint to gw hq lol. Ah sad times! :,)

5 hours ago, Aegisgrimm said:

The Albion campaign was especially interesting, especially when the victors could choose from a table that represented a tongue in cheek cache of 40K technology and weapons as a nod to the early editions of Warhammer, lol.

I always wanted to put together an Empire general with a power fist....

But Dark Elves got power fists, the Empire had to make do with a force staff ;) 

Z5aXCkB.jpg

Here's a Dwarf Lord armed with a power sword the Blade of Shining Death that teenage me converted shortly after the campaign results came in. Not my finest work, but I still like his Chaos Marauder cloak and shoulderpads:

5wpGmOK.jpg

3 hours ago, Bosmer Nightblade said:

I remember playing in my local store during the storm of chaos. I was on the chaos side then, and we almost tabled the allied good guys by turn 2. Chaos won the game, but the store literally fudged the result to an allied victory just because the manager liked empire lol.

I was maybe 15 at the time. I actually wrote a letter of complaint to gw hq lol. Ah sad times! :,)

Your manager was a true Imperial patriot. Good guy ;) 

On 9/3/2017 at 7:52 PM, Auticus said:

Back in 2003 they tried a global campaign where Archaon stormed south (the Storm of Chaos) and the player base was supposed to re-write the next chapter of the lore.  It was immensely exciting!  And then when chaos won and overtook everything... GW didn't like that.  So they slapped on a real quick conclusion which saw it all undone and then several months later it was retconned as never having happened.

That was because there was quite a large number of false reports during that campaign so gamesworkshop likely stopped trying to take it seriously. I was part of the team over at Druchii.net that was coordinating the war effort for the Dark Elves, and the rivalries with Ulthuan.net and there were legitimately people during that campaign that admitted to me after the fact as having entering hundreds of false battle reports in hopes of getting new models or magic items for their respective armies.  

It's why the last campaign they did most recently required you to submit your games in actual GW branded stores or trusted retailers, and required a certain level of proof along with a battle report, and with that in mind I heard there were still a lot of false reports.

The Albion campaign was really awesome! Loved the 40k artefacts reference, nothing like an Elven Prince with power armor and two handed weapon to destroy chariots in one swing (strength 7! xD ).

But anyway, I think the appeal of the Old World lore is all the depth and past stories that could be made, as Double Misfire explained better. I doubt the point was to have a streamlined story that advances, even if it did at a slow-ish pace with retcons, dubious changes, etc... GW seemed hesitant in that department. There was much more emphasis on the past and in-between stories that built up the "official setting".

A good story with rich background and old events yet to be explored is what makes fantasy/sc-fi so appealing to many, like the Horus Heresy or LotR for example, without the need to have a constantly advancing storyline with radical changes. And the Old World excelled at that ;)

11 hours ago, Aegisgrimm said:

Thanks for the correction, Double Misfire!  Its been a looooong time since I saw that set of rules for the Dark Shadows loot (wasn't it in a White Dwarf?).

White Dwarf originally and then reprinted in the 2003 Warhammer Chronicles/annual.

13 hours ago, Lord Veshnakar said:

That was because there was quite a large number of false reports during that campaign so gamesworkshop likely stopped trying to take it seriously. I was part of the team over at Druchii.net that was coordinating the war effort for the Dark Elves, and the rivalries with Ulthuan.net and there were legitimately people during that campaign that admitted to me after the fact as having entering hundreds of false battle reports in hopes of getting new models or magic items for their respective armies.  

It's why the last campaign they did most recently required you to submit your games in actual GW branded stores or trusted retailers, and required a certain level of proof along with a battle report, and with that in mind I heard there were still a lot of false reports.

Elves are liars, cheats and thieves, who knew? ;) 

QoBbOlK.jpg

Oh man, mixing in 40k artifacts is AWESOME!!!!! :D

We loved the Time Warp expansion for Talisman. 

I liked the goofier aspects of Warhammer. It was a much lighter game back then. Basically a wacky way to play ancients battles.  I hope some of that humor remains as the lore of AOS progresses. I see it in the Blight War box with the demon on the snail. Love that model! 

I especially like the old campaign boxes like Bloodbath at Orcs Drift. 

1 hour ago, Vogless said:

I hope some of that humor remains as the lore of AOS progresses. I see it in the Blight War box with the demon on the snail. Love that model! 

Without a doubt, Grandfather Nurgle (or Papa Nurgle as the French would say ) was always the most funniest, good and humorous God and character of WH. And remains, of course :)

3 hours ago, Vogless said:

Oh man, mixing in 40k artifacts is AWESOME!!!!! :DI liked the goofier aspects of Warhammer. It was a much lighter game back then.

I enjoy it also. The doom diver catapults are by far my favorite unit. Warhammer is at its best when it isn't taking itself too seriously.

Archived