Let's Chat: Nighthaunt

Rid

1 hour ago, choocheelo said:

I think new mortarch is Izabella and guy on horse is Vlad.

You know, I was thinking it could be Vlad and nothing would make me happier, but I didn't want to get my hopes up by putting it out there...

But you did so now I'll jump on your hype train instead lol

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, choocheelo said:

I think new mortarch is Izabella and guy on horse is Vlad.

I don't know why Nagash would take Isabella as a Mortarch over Vlad but it would certainly make sense to try and use Vlad as a carrot to dangle before her to ensure loyalty.  Essentially a reverse of what happened in the End Times.

I don't want it to be Isabella or Vlad.  I mean I DO because that would be freaking awesome.  Too awesome.  I would have to start Nighthaunt as my main army instead of an addition to my Legions force.

I saw some post on FB that had a leaked box set that included a TGheist, Mortis Engine and a bunch of ghosts. It was advertised as Nighthaunt. Not sure what to think of that.

Also...3 named character in one sub-faction!? Thats crazy

3 hours ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

I don't know why Nagash would take Isabella as a Mortarch over Vlad but it would certainly make sense to try and use Vlad as a carrot to dangle before her to ensure loyalty.  Essentially a reverse of what happened in the End Times

Like Morathi has been eaten by slaanesh, nurgle put a deamon in to Isabella, before her death in end of times. So, why not? 

3 hours ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

I don't know why Nagash would take Isabella as a Mortarch over Vlad but it would certainly make sense to try and use Vlad as a carrot to dangle before her to ensure loyalty.  Essentially a reverse of what happened in the End Times.

I don't want it to be Isabella or Vlad.  I mean I DO because that would be freaking awesome.  Too awesome.  I would have to start Nighthaunt as my main army instead of an addition to my Legions force.

Yeah, I think if it is Isabella, it wouldn’t make sense for Vlad to just be hanging around completely fine. She’s the mortarch of ‘grief’. Most likely Vlad is dead/dying/captive with Nagash promising to bring him back. I liked one persons theory that Vlad had been reforged as a Stormcast and she’s out to kill him and re-claim his soul.

7 hours ago, ZaelART said:

Yeah, I think if it is Isabella, it wouldn’t make sense for Vlad to just be hanging around completely fine. She’s the mortarch of ‘grief’. Most likely Vlad is dead/dying/captive with Nagash promising to bring him back. I liked one persons theory that Vlad had been reforged as a Stormcast and she’s out to kill him and re-claim his soul.

This would be heartbreaking - I would want them reunited, in the story AND on the table.

Definitely heartbreaking if they ended up as facing each other on the battlefield again...yet oh so flippin' fun. Makes a lot of sense, too. 

On 6/2/2018 at 6:54 AM, ZaelART said:

Oo. Like that idea. Well, any idea that brings back Vlad in some way has my approval but do like this one.

30 minutes ago, RoyalDachshund said:

Mortarch or not, just update the warscroll of Mortis Engine with a Nighthaunt keyword and I'll die... uhhh live... no... live an undead, happy life.

Agreed. I wanted to get started early, but my local game store only had the start collecting malignants box. Was kind of saddened that it included a huge unit that I wouldn't often be using. That's okay, though - I could ally it in, or do the more responsible thing and wait. 

2 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Well theres always the Tormented Spirits box, which is basically the Start Collecting Nighthaunt set!

Get 2 of those, and whatever the 2.0 starter set is, and I think thats a decent starter nighthaunt army.

I was hoping to, but my local store didn't have any. I'll be waiting (and listening to more of the criticisms of the game in some other threads) before putting money down. 

6 minutes ago, Lemondish said:

I was hoping to, but my local store didn't have any. I'll be waiting (and listening to more of the criticisms of the game in some other threads) before putting money down. 

Yea LGS stock can be an unfortunate obstacle for warhammer, especially AoS. (Not that I don't blame them, it is a volatile game in terms of popularity and I forgot if GW ever changed their bully personality when it comes to non GW stores).

Where I live, there was an independent store that used to have a pretty huge warhammer section but got really cut down post AoS and have some odd stocks. They still have WFB wood elf tree dryad army boxes! Not honestly sure how much AoS they sell. Heck they also used to have a absolutely massive warmahordes section, but that got cut down so much I think they slapped clearance stickers on their stock and have no intentions of restocking. I think at that store, traditional wargames have been mostly replaced with the more pick up and play miniature games like FFG Star Wars stuff.

6 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Yea LGS stock can be an unfortunate obstacle for warhammer, especially AoS. (Not that I don't blame them, it is a volatile game in terms of popularity and I forgot if GW ever changed their bully personality when it comes to non GW stores).

Where I live, there was an independent store that used to have a pretty huge warhammer section but got really cut down post AoS and have some odd stocks. They still have WFB wood elf tree dryad army boxes! Not honestly sure how much AoS they sell. Heck they also used to have a absolutely massive warmahordes section, but that got cut down so much I think they slapped clearance stickers on their stock and have no intentions of restocking. I think at that store, traditional wargames have been mostly replaced with the more pick up and play miniature games like FFG Star Wars stuff.

Honestly, I could have probably just asked them to order it for me. Or buy online. But I took it as a sign that I should probably wait for the starter set. 

And I like to buy local usually. 

My actual thinking is that we get 1-5 ways to get a mortis engine in a nighthaunt like army

1st the mortis engine gain nighthaunt keyword with evidence that the KoS and the spirit torment both have malignant and nighthaunt 

2nd and 3rd we get two additional alliances named Legion of grief and malignant both have access to same

4th nighthaunt could allie in malignant

5th play one of the Legion of Nagash alliances with KoS, spirit hosts, Hexwraith and new nighthaunt unit's which get access to the Legion of Nagash battletome

9 hours ago, Ahn-ket said:

5th play one of the Legion of Nagash alliances with KoS, spirit hosts, Hexwraith and new nighthaunt unit's which get access to the Legion of Nagash battletome

3 hours ago, Sception said:

Also there may be nighthaunt battalions that include the mortis engine.

I haven't had great results with a ME except as a bodyguard for Arkhan in LoS, but it's a combination of these two I'm really hoping for - to still be able to use my VLoZD, necromancers, wolves, etc, but fill the rest in with a NH battalion. More than just allies, like half LoN, half NH. All my fingers are crossed.

I dont think it will be vlad and isabella. Theres no way isabella would be a mortarch and vlad not be.

I also really hope that its not them. We need actual aos original characters now. Time to let the old world stay dead and not bring every back secondary character that requires knowledge of a dead game to understand properly.

2 hours ago, Ungface said:

I also really hope that its not them. We need actual aos original characters now. Time to let the old world stay dead and not bring every back secondary character that requires knowledge of a dead game to understand properly.

Oh wow, I literally was just thinking about this.  If AoS is going to really step up as a significant setting it needs to trim the number of things it draws from the Old World.

I think Vlad and Isabella were great characters and they were the best parts of the End Times.  But there has been ages since the Von Carstein first family existed, plenty of time for there to be other people who have been consumed by grief (particularly in the wake of the Age of Chaos).  I've mentioned Celemnis before for that reason - she died terribly, she rose as a banshee and she already possesses abilities beyond the normal - she fits the bill better than Isabella does.  It's true.  Isabella can be made to fit the bill, we've seen several theories in this thread how she could become the Mortarch of Grief.

I'm pretty divided.  I think I'll be disappointed if it isn't her and disappointed if it is, then paradoxically elated if it's her and elated if it isn't.

1 hour ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

Oh wow, I literally was just thinking about this.  If AoS is going to really step up as a significant setting it needs to trim the number of things it draws from the Old World.

I think Vlad and Isabella were great characters and they were the best parts of the End Times.  But there has been ages since the Von Carstein first family existed, plenty of time for there to be other people who have been consumed by grief (particularly in the wake of the Age of Chaos).  I've mentioned Celemnis before for that reason - she died terribly, she rose as a banshee and she already possesses abilities beyond the normal - she fits the bill better than Isabella does.  It's true.  Isabella can be made to fit the bill, we've seen several theories in this thread how she could become the Mortarch of Grief.

I'm pretty divided.  I think I'll be disappointed if it isn't her and disappointed if it is, then paradoxically elated if it's her and elated if it isn't.

I can't help but agree with you. Despite every fiber of my being hoping that it is Isabella, I think a compelling narrative about a newer character would be exciting as well. I'm not done with Isabella - I don't want to say goodbye. I don't want that story to end lol, but I do think Celemnis would make a fitting Mortarch of Grief, despite the lack of any visual connection.

Archived