Let's Chat: Seraphon 2017

tolstedt

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all!

I'm new to the faction and was wondering what you guys considered the best weapons for Saurus Warriors and Skinks?

The clubs on the Saurus seem like a straight up better option, but from the few games I've already had it seems difficult to get everyone from a large unit into combat, in which case the spears would be quite beneficial. I was thinking of running the Skinks with the boltspitters and shields to provide them with some range and survivability, but it doesn't look like they'll accomplish much with the loadout. Saurus Knights look to be best equipped with the lances, especially in a Frelance Starhost! Any thoughts?

7 minutes ago, J.J said:

Hey all!

I'm new to the faction and was wondering what you guys considered the best weapons for Saurus Warriors and Skinks?

The clubs on the Saurus seem like a straight up better option, but from the few games I've already had it seems difficult to get everyone from a large unit into combat, in which case the spears would be quite beneficial. I was thinking of running the Skinks with the boltspitters and shields to provide them with some range and survivability, but it doesn't look like they'll accomplish much with the loadout. Saurus Knights look to be best equipped with the lances, especially in a Frelance Starhost! Any thoughts?

It really deppends on your list and the use you want for them.

For big unuts of saurus is better the spears because of the 2 range. For 10 man units even 20 is better the clubs 

For skinks it deppends wether you want them ti be survivable to hold objectives ( javalins and star buckers)  or a stalking chaff ( blowpipes)

Just now, swarmofseals said:

Got a modeling question -- do any of the seraphon sprues have decorative feathers as a bit choice?  I'd like to convert some skinks with added feathers and am not sure where I might find such a bit.

Standards for Saurus warriors or decorative bits from terradon/rippers kit.

They both have a lot of feathers

I see a lot of talks about Dracothion's tail, but not that many lists. I was thinking about something like this :

Allegiance: Seraphon
Slann Starmaster (260)
- General
- Trait: Great Rememberer 
- Artefact: Incandescent Rectrices 
Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur (240)
- Warblade
- Artefact: Coronal Shield 
Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (280)
- Artefact: Blade of Realities 
Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)
Skink Priest (80)
- Priestly Trappings
5 x Saurus Knights (100)
- Lances
5 x Saurus Knights (100)
- Lances
5 x Saurus Knights (100)
- Lances
40 x Skinks (200)
- Boltspitters & Moonstone Clubs
Dracothion's Tail (60)
Firelance Starhost (110)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1690 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400

Which leaves 310 points, maybe for a bastiladon or more knights ? Or a pack of 30 saurus, though it's a shame I don't have the points for 40.

I think 200 for 40 skinks is just too good, and the 2 carnosaurs can be summoned since they don't have the same name (I think).

The knights only need a 6 to charge and you may have a reroll with the priest. On the other hand, the carnosaurs will need a 9 and you have only 50% chance to get a reroll.

The scar veteran on cold one has a nice command ability and could replace the priest (and the astrolith ?), but then I'd lose the 2 tp per turn with the slann. 

PS : the goal is not to make something 100% competitive, I just like this battalion.

2 hours ago, spenson said:

I see a lot of talks about Dracothion's tail, but not that many lists. I was thinking about something like this :

Allegiance: Seraphon
Slann Starmaster (260)
- General
- Trait: Great Rememberer 
- Artefact: Incandescent Rectrices 
Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur (240)
- Warblade
- Artefact: Coronal Shield 
Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (280)
- Artefact: Blade of Realities 
Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)
Skink Priest (80)
- Priestly Trappings
5 x Saurus Knights (100)
- Lances
5 x Saurus Knights (100)
- Lances
5 x Saurus Knights (100)
- Lances
40 x Skinks (200)
- Boltspitters & Moonstone Clubs
Dracothion's Tail (60)
Firelance Starhost (110)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1690 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400

Which leaves 310 points, maybe for a bastiladon or more knights ? Or a pack of 30 saurus, though it's a shame I don't have the points for 40.

I think 200 for 40 skinks is just too good, and the 2 carnosaurs can be summoned since they don't have the same name (I think).

The knights only need a 6 to charge and you may have a reroll with the priest. On the other hand, the carnosaurs will need a 9 and you have only 50% chance to get a reroll.

The scar veteran on cold one has a nice command ability and could replace the priest (and the astrolith ?), but then I'd lose the 2 tp per turn with the slann. 

PS : the goal is not to make something 100% competitive, I just like this battalion.

Very close to the list I have. 

Yes, since the carnosaurs are two different scrolls you can summon then in the same phase.

What i did was only take 20 skinks and than add a shadow strike battalion. That makes the army a one drop and It can afloa strike in the turn you need it 

I usually leave 100 pts reserve and summon either a balewind or a skink priest depending on what I need at the moment.

Lastly since you have the ability to position your army with summoning i find vast intellect to be a better choice for command trait. It skies you to cat curse of fathe and this makes your carnosaur charges potentially a 7+ rerollable ( asumming you change the constelation to +1 charge, and the skink priestly tapings) 

Just wanted to chime in to applaud the GH2017 Seraphon design, it's close to perfect and I'm extremely happy to see them join the competative play aswell as a real contender. I hope that you guys too will soon follow with several tactica and tripple design build routes (at least).

Cheers!

Well the list I had was also 1 drop since (IIRC) you can put everything in dracothion's tail. I have to admit I didn't think about the Shadowstrike Starhost, the ripperdactyls are very scary, but 40 skinks could be used to protect the slann from teleport or be summoned 16" away from the enemy.

I wanted great rememberer to teleport the 2 units or knights that I can't summon on the first turn. Since my list only had 1 slann and 3 different spells, I can use the priest as a vassal for Arcane Bolt, Mystic Shield and Light of the Heavens.

With 330 points on battalions, you end up with very few models, how did this list do ?

It's also true that keeping a few points for summoning may be a good idea.

edit : just checked your army on lustria online, it looks awesome. Great job on the base and I love really colorful armies.

So I just got two major victories tonight with this list. I'm currently limited in my models -- I'm looking to get another Start Collecting soon and I'm definitely considering a Balewind Vortex. I am still learning what works with this army (I had played Stormcast for two years before going all-in on the dinosaurs riding dinosaurs) but those teleports are devastating when you do it well!

IMG_0086.PNG

IMG_0087.PNG

4 hours ago, robertxtrem said:

With your beasties, if you chuck some kroxigor in you can then use thunderquaketo make your beasts heal each turn and get some rerolls. 

Every time I build that list I end up putting in 80 skinks which I really don't want to paint!

I love the stegadon for the teleport, skink alpha to get close, and charge.  Can take a few wounds off a misplaced hero.

10 minutes ago, tolstedt said:

I love the stegadon for the teleport, skink alpha to get close, and charge.  Can take a few wounds off a misplaced hero.

In my first combat with the Stegadon yesterday I rolled triple six for his stomp attack. He was surprisingly effective!

1 hour ago, rokapoke said:

In my first combat with the Stegadon yesterday I rolled triple six for his stomp attack. He was surprisingly effective!

graph.php?q=r:330:3:2:m000;r:424:9:1:m00

This is with the skystreak bow getting a charge on a 4+ save hero.  Pretty good!  I may have to buy one.

Archived