New to Seraphon - Are there any must have units.

Riddles

• 2 months later...

Saurus guard paired with an eternity warden make one of the most brutal units i've seen in this system in my opinion, particularly if they're mystic shielded. I played Seraphon last year and they were my MVP every game, that and the Bastilodon for the sheer resilience. 

2 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Guard are a trap unit, they die too quickly to any amount of mortal wounds

"Weak to mortal wounds" describes 90% of the units in the game. It's a design feature, not a weakness. Guard are great unless you're going up against Skryre and Tzeentch every game.

10 hours ago, rokapoke said:

"Weak to mortal wounds" describes 90% of the units in the game. It's a design feature, not a weakness. Guard are great unless you're going up against Skryre and Tzeentch every game.

Except you pay 100 pts for 5 wound, which is 50% or twice as most or any infantry unit

I kinda agree about the Guard. They are GREAT against many units, especially against hordes, especially in the Eternal Starhost.

But a unit that can halfway reliably produce mortal wounds will kill them so quickly you wish you had used normal Warriors since you have more wounds on the table.

Examples:
Skeletons will die like flies and hardly kill any guards.

A Lord Celestant might kill all of them in one round.

As for the others: Seraphon are a synergy heavy army. There is almost no useless unit, nor is there a must take unit IMO, although a Slann is pretty great now, and so is a Bastiladon.

40-man unit of Saurus Warriors. Without any external buffs, the Saurus Warrior Horde is one of the most damaging units you can put on the table. without any outside what's printed on their warscroll. I say build clubs for the whole unit, and run a Saurus Oldblood as your general to ensure you get every model stuck in. You can build them with spears if you think you'll have trouble piling them in, otherwise.

Saurus Guard get an honorable mention from me, but you really must run them in an Eternal Starhost. They get a huge buff, and make even the Saurus Warrior Horde nervous. Even without the starhost, they'll outperform any Saurus Warrior Unit with less than 20 models. However,  they don't have a significant edge (sans Starhost) over ordinary Saurus Knights/Cavalry who have similar durability and damage output (except against very hard targets,, like 2+ or 3+ saves, where Guard have the edge),. The Knights are more mobile, but not to the same degree that other cavalry are mobile.

Archived