GH2017 - Ironjawz Review & Discussion

Chris Tomlin

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Chris.

Presumably Krunk could give himself the extra 6" movement or another hero could do so for him if needed (if you rolled a 6 or 4 for a Megaboss - like how it's not just your general). However, it's not as reliable as it was for sure.

But needing 5 ironjaw units and a leader leaves no points for the Allies everyone wanted so badly, hahaha

They have done a good job of making everyone take hard decisions with trade offs, rather than auto-take Battalions as a virtual freebie (Gnarlroot for example).

I guess that's kinda the point, you have a mixed list at 2000 with some supportive figures; or you take the formations and run exclusively ironjaws. xD

The only thing I find irritating about both is that both require ironfist. That limits a lot of ideas for me as I might not want to play what is basically the only formation ironjaws use. xD

my stab at the bloodtoof list

Maw krusha 460

- brutish cunning

- daubing of mork

Warchanter 80

-the boss skewer

Weirdnob Shaman 120

-rockeye 

10 brutes 360

5 brutes 180

5 brutes 180

5 brutes 180

3 Gore gruntas 140

Ironfist 160

Bloodtoof 140

total 2000/2000

what do y'all think?

5 hours ago, Lord Biscuit said:

I guess that's kinda the point, you have a mixed list at 2000 with some supportive figures; or you take the formations and run exclusively ironjaws. xD

The only thing I find irritating about both is that both require ironfist. That limits a lot of ideas for me as I might not want to play what is basically the only formation ironjaws use. xD

So as a potential for a different formation.

140 - Megaboss, Destroyer, Prophet of the Waaagh!

160 - Warchanters *2 - (80*2)

80 - Gitmob Grot Shaman

270 - Gitmob Grots *60 (Grot Bows)

450 - Ardboys *30 (10*2 choppas 20* Shields)

180 - Brutes *5

180 - Brutes *5

180 - Brutes *5

180 - Brutes *5

180 - Brutefist

2000 Points Total

The idea here being that you can play aggressive with the Grots/Ardboys and screen large portions of the field. This then allows you to either pile in with the brutes and attack over the front line with a 2" range or get the Brutefist charge through the Ardboys/Grots on the turn after. Plus you now have way more presence around the board due to the army being able to split more effectively and the reliability of your Waaagh! goes through the roof.

The list as a whole allows you to care way less about being charged and punishes your opponent whether they elect to charge you or not. It also doesn't use Ironfist!

@Malakree - I like it! I'm toying with similar lists (posted my current one at the bottom of the previous page)

Grots can fulfil the Ardboy role, for cheaper and in more abundance, and there's also room for ranged threat there too. Allows Brutes to do what they're meant for!

I'd squeeze a Mawkrush in there if you can though, provides that big threat with mortal output

6 minutes ago, Fungrim said:

@Malakree - I like it! I'm toying with similar lists (posted my current one at the bottom of the previous page)

Grots can fulfil the Ardboy role, for cheaper and in more abundance, and there's also score for ranged threat there too. Allows Brutes to do what they're meant for too!

I'd squeeze a Mawkrush in there if you can though, provides that big threat with mortal output

To be honest I don't really want to paint/deal with a death cabbage at the moment and the extra 320 points are a pain to get hold of. 

The MB on foot is a much harder target for ranged since you can block line of sight more easily, has the Re-roll hit rolls of a 1 for brutes (which with the war chanter means you can have hitting on 2+ rerolling). The other thing to note is that Destroyer makes his boss choppa a 6 attack weapon with 3+/3+/-1/3 Which is just disgusting. If you hit/wound everything with a 2 attack Waaagh then it's 24 wounds plus the potential 4 D3 wounds from his Rip-Tooth.

Honestly Destroyer for the boss choppa is so good.

42 minutes ago, Drillz said:

my stab at the bloodtoof list

Maw krusha 460

- brutish cunning

- daubing of mork

Warchanter 80

-the boss skewer

Weirdnob Shaman 120

-rockeye 

10 brutes 360

5 brutes 180

5 brutes 180

5 brutes 180

3 Gore gruntas 140

Ironfist 160

Bloodtoof 140

total 2000/2000

what do y'all think?

looks good to me. I would take 10 Ardboyz over the thrid x5 brute unit. Just adds some feet on the ground and objective grabbers on home turf. Can also be used as a 20" range screen with the brutes behind to punch through.

Leaders
General Slot, Choices.        (General - Command Trait : Prophet of the Waaagh! - Artefact : Destroyer)
Orruk Warchanter (80) - Artefact : The Boss Skewer
Gitmob Grot Shaman (80)

Units
30 x Orruk Ardboys (450) - 10 x Pair of Choppas or Smashas - 20 x Choppa or Smasha & Shields
5 x Orruk Brutes (180) - 3 x Gore Choppas
60 x Gitmob Grots (270) -Bows & Slashas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180) - 3 x Gore Choppas

Battalions
Ironfist (160) (3/5 units)

Total: 1400/2000 Points
Leaders: 2/6
Battlelines: 3 (3+)
Behemoths: 0/4
Artillery: 0/4

This is the list I'm looking at the moment. The idea would be,

Have the 30 Ardboys, 5 Brutes and Warchanter Group up to be one big unit block. The Brutes fight from inside the Ardboy unit using the 2" range to attack over the front line.

The 60 Gitmob Archers, 10 Brutes and Gitmob Shaman then form the second big group utilising the same strategy.

This leaves you with 600 points spare for your General and miscellaneous others. Options here include:

Death Cabbage + Megaboss or 3 Gore-Grunters

Megaboss + Warchanter + 2x (10 Ardboys or 5 Brutes)

Megaboss + 3x (Weirdnob Shaman) +50 points of allies (A unit of 2 snotlings!)

Megaboss + 2x (3 Gore-Grunters) + 10 Ardboys

I think as a Core it provides two incredibly powerful blocks that can really threaten anything while also protecting all the important bits. The flexibility of the last 600 points then really allows you to customise it how you want, either going for a giant hammer, reinforcing the blocks by moving each brute unit up to 10, having a few extra units to move around capping objectives or just taking a bunch of extra heroes and some snotlings. 

As a final important note you have 2 spare spots in your Ironfist so if you wanted to add in 2 units of 5 brutes they would slot nicely into that. You could also use spare points to swap the Ironfist out for something larger and more punchy. 

IronProphetsCore.pdf

• Chris Tomlin changed the title to GH2017 - Ironjawz Review & Discussion

@Drillz - I think that's pretty much the way to go with the Bloodtoofs list. I've tried an MSU variant that I am not convinced by (was for fun more than power) and think it's better without the foot Megaboss as you get the 10 man Brutes. Obvious issue with Rockeye aside (give him the Rend so he can feel like a real Ironjawz boy!), I guess the main option is the General's kit out which is well up for debate and probably down to personal preference at this point. @winterman & @Lysandestolpe make a potentially solid call in bringing 10 Ardboys into the fold, I would potentially look at that, the +4 charge is fierce and super useful for late objective dashes!

@Malakree - 60 Grots and 30 Ardboys is potentially very nice. I would love the option of both in my model arsenal tbh, but realistically it's a way off before I have it all painted. Gonna be interesting to see how the meta plays out with these massive regiments. I'd be intrigued to hear how you get on.

FYI - I've updated my thread with my first couple of GH2017 games, you can find it somewhere on the same page as this topic.

I'm currently painting for a skirmish tourney in 2 weeks, the big thing for me will actually be the brutes/megaboss since I want to spend time and do them properly. My Grots are going to be part Gitmob Grots and part Gnoblars so can cheap out on some in painting quality

I haven’t played AoS so this is largely just a collection of model, but for an initial list was thinking of collecting towards;

Megaboss

Weirdnob

10 Brutes

10 Brutes

6 Goregruntas

3 gore gruntas

3 Goregruntas

Rogue Idol

OR

Megadboss on Maw-Krusha

Warchanter

Weridnob

10 Brutes

10 Brutes

6 Goregruntas

2 Aleguzzler Gargants

Any thoughts on either of these – is anything glaring missing? I guess numbers being the obvious one. the top list is 60 points short as well

1 hour ago, Dawntreader561 said:

I haven’t played AoS so this is largely just a collection of model, but for an initial list was thinking of collecting towards;

Megaboss

Weirdnob

10 Brutes

10 Brutes

6 Goregruntas

3 gore gruntas

3 Goregruntas

Rogue Idol

OR

Megadboss on Maw-Krusha

Warchanter

Weridnob

10 Brutes

10 Brutes

6 Goregruntas

2 Aleguzzler Gargants

Any thoughts on either of these – is anything glaring missing? I guess numbers being the obvious one. the top list is 60 points short as well

You aren't running any batalions, which would give you an extra artefact as well, for the top Army you could drop the 2 units of 3 goregruntas (140+140) and 60 points spare (340) to go for Ironfist (160) and a unit of 5 Brutes or 10 Ardboyz (180) That would spend out your points, give you the D6 move on all units and, with the Ardboyz, give you a spare objective holding unit. That or you could keep them around your Weirdnob Shaman for the +1 to cast.

If you did that you would have the flexibility to split the Goregrunters between a 6 Orruk and 2x 3 Orruk squads without losing the Ironfist buff since it's 3-5 units.

The other cheese for spending those 60 points would be to go double megaboss rather than using the shaman. One with each unit of brutes to ensure they both have the Reroll 1's to hit.

EDIT: Not saying batalions are mandatory, just pointing out you don't have them. Not sure if that's intentional or not.

@Chris Tomlin

do you think megaboss in food with destroyer no worth? 

I think you got better mobility with blootoof and ironfist, you can easy reach one hero alone and kill him , plus if you call waagh you got another attack! With damage 3 and 3/3/-1 it can kill alone one unit! You can give 2+ to hit if you buff with warchanter!!:)

What do you guys think to running 30 ardboyz with a grot shaman in tow and a Grot Rock Lobber even further back.

The idea being that the Shamans ability allows him to (on a 5+) pass mortal wounds off onto the Arboyz who have a chance at saving it with their shields.

Then the shaman can cast his spell on the Rock Lobber (any gitmob unit) which gives it a nasty 40"/3+/2+/ -3/  3 dmg

Depending on the scenario I can imagine parking the boyz and Shaman on an obective, and constantly buffing up the Lobber to snipe the opponents big nasty stuff. The -3 rend will put most things on a t-shirt save and 3dmg is decent.

Btw I'm brand new to IJ and have yet to play a game so this is simply having fun thinking of stuff, nothing serious or knowledgeable! 

40 minutes ago, Bulldoze said:

What do you guys think to running 30 ardboyz with a grot shaman in tow and a Grot Rock Lobber even further back.

You would probably forgo the Spell on the GRL in favour of just putting mystic shield on the Ardboys, not as flashy but 60 wounds with a 3+ save is damn hard to shift.

At 1k if you want a rock lobber probably better to grab 2 of those as your allies, to trigger the extra shot on a 5/6 vs 10+ model units, then take a weirdnob shaman instead to sit with the Ardboys and get his +2 to cast with his, frankly way better, Puke/Warpath.

That would leave you with enough to get a unit of Goregrunters and a Warchanter coming in at 990 points. Given what you've said in the other thread this would be ideal for what you have!

Still do not have the book(I will add artifacts and command abilities later) but thoughts on this list? 

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
15 x Orruk Brutes (540)
- 3x Gore Choppas
30 x Orruk Ardboys (450)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)

Allies
Grot Spear Chukka (120)
Grot Spear Chukka (120)
Grot Spear Chukka (120)

Battalion
Ironfist (160)

Total: 1990/2000

@Uprising

Potentially drop the 2 unit of 10 Ardboyz for 5 more brutes.

That would give you 20 total letting you have 2 sets of 10 brutes. The prevailing wisdom seems to be that brutes work best in squads of 10 and it means your power is less concentrated in a single block letting you adapt more and gain more board presence. You also have a Warchanter for each of them so that works out nicely!

This would allow you to run the Ardboyz in the middle as your line and have a unit of Brutes+Warchanter on each flank. That sort of setup with elites on the flanks is tactic used by Hannibal Barca to defeat the Romans I believe.

they are nice, they keep the ardboy aesthetics but feel a bit more like ironjawz than the current models.  They feel like a nice filler, just wish I knew how many come in the set, as from the video it looks like  only 4 of them in the set, which is a bit disappointing, at least with 5, you could add them to the skirmish box set for a nice unit of 10.   Odd numbers makes it difficult to add to an existing army when the rules for a unit are only in batches of 10.    That being said, I may get them anyways for a distinctive look for the squad or second squad. 

A couple things have been confusing  me. Am i misinterpreting the rules somewhere?

On 8/29/2017 at 10:34 AM, Nico said:

Thanks Chris.

Presumably Krunk could give himself the extra 6" movement or another hero could do so for him if needed (if you rolled a 6 or 4 for a Megaboss - like how it's not just your general). However, it's not as reliable as it was for sure.

I've seen people say you get the 4 for any Megaboss not just the general. But i can't find that in the rules anywhere. If so this is huge because i normally run 3 in my list. 

Second, the wagghh command ability. I don't see how this is good compared to other non IJ hero's command ability. If only 1 or 2 units are around. I have to roll a 1 or 2. Very difficult to actually get off.  With iron jaws being more of an elite army i often spread my units apart for board control and rarely have more than 3 units around my general.  As such i choose to do inspiring presence for battle shock immunity. 

What am i missing?

35 minutes ago, sporadicMike said:

I've seen people say you get the 4 for any Megaboss not just the general. But i can't find that in the rules anywhere. If so this is huge because i normally run 3 in my list. 

Personally I think it's JUST the general, from the wording, but it seems to be something which was said on a twitch stream on release night in Warhammer World. Mixed signals which I think they need to clarify but right now I would go for the wording which is Megaboss General ONLY.

Archived