GHB2 Ironjawz

Southern trolls

Hello all, I wanted to start a discussion on Ironjawz for the upcoming GHB2. instead of scrolling through 30+ pages of awesome threads of the old GHB Ironjawz I figured we could make a new discussion as to index the next series in Ironjawz history! 

So so I tried out the new "smashing and bashin" allegiance ability against my friends Sylvaneth army. He tried a new army build going with mass amounts of dryads and the formation giving them exploding 6+ hits. We tried out lists that will be likely contenders of the change in AOS. Unfortunately I did not want to speculate points changes with my army nor did he, so we kept the same points. We are both competitive gamers, I've got several best destruction tournament wins here in the states so this game match was of the competitive mindset for extra clarity. We played gift from the heavens.

Back to Ironjawz, firstly I can say with great excitement when you manage to get smashing and bashing off, it feels AWESOME! Makes the army feel like you are seriously duffing up the big one! I managed to get off Smashing and Bashing 3 times one round and another 2 times. However, I definitely forgot to use it my first go. ?

A few things to note on this ability. "Subject to change with launch of book, there may be more to this than was released"

1) this is a battle board wide trait it seems, just must be the "closest friendly" Ironjawz unit that is in combat. Really awesome since if you have two combats on opposite board sides well, they are the closest unit. This ability really makes you want to pair you combats effectively, in one instance I had 3 attack sequences before my friend had 1 so I took out 2 attack sequences from him with fully deleted units. I killed his ancient, my first attack sequence (very lucky rolling on my part with his saves) followed by a measly branch wytch, lastly into a unit of huntards hunkered down in a forest (sigh). 

2) the attitude I felt shifted mid way through my game. By that I mean, I no longer had my free D6 movement destruction trait. I simply had the battalion D6 movement buff on select units. My play style started to shift as I noticed speed was no longer my biggest strength (although I wouldn't call it my strength against sylvaneth). Which I totally am on board with since I don't naturally think of brutes being as fast as they have been. The strength in lies with your utility of combat sequencing. This will be surely expanded with all the traits and artifacts but it was even noticeable with just the command trait. (Super pumped with this) 

3) as I just said, I lost movement with the new Command trait. I can't begin to tell you how much this affects the army, it just does. My meteor fell turn 2 and unfortunately I wasn't able to grab it until the 3rd turn. (He flanked my only speed unit, gore gruntas) and put 20+ wounds into them. Proper D was given... anyway, I barely edged out the major,  with the lack of speed I had it meant I had to think much much more about group/unit placement in regards to objectives where as before. I could shield off some key units and have a 5 man brute unit or arboyz unit grab the objective half way across the board with the two D6 movements in the hero phase plus run and/or charge bonus from drummer. 

All in All guys/gals this Ironjawz release will be huge I bet! 

I'm looking forward to Allies, in the context there were no mentions who who allies with who on  is mere hope and/speculation. My top three contenders are as follows. 

1) warboss on wyvern (command ability) if they can be generals and not take away Ironjawz 

2) teed ruk (cool conversions in mind for this)

3) spider shammy (extra spells + some mortal wound) BB cannot affect monsters now from what it seems, so no more +2 hit on fangs lol

whats everyone else's thoughts on allies. @Chris Tomlin not trying to hijack any threads ps. 

I'm quietly excited at the moment by the 2 things we have seen for IJ and the fact our allegiance abilty is "any" combat phase it not only means we can maximise our own charges and stop those odd wounds being chipped off but also we can set up situations to maximise in the enemies combats phase (so my Megaboss charges 5 judicators assuming he doesn't just kill them in one go it's very probable he will kill them the second combat phase) this then messes with the opponents head forcing them to maybe retreat units (and if those units can shoot will lose this attack) or not charge the odd models in to try to maximise attacks (as is currently done sometimes) because these low wound count extra suddenly can be a liability. 

The trait to charge on a 5+ at the start of your enemies charge phase could be literally a game winner 

keen to see see the rest of the stuff now 8 days is too long! 

3 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Hey @Southern trolls,

Nice to see you trying out some of the new stuff. Sounds super fun.

I will say you are just playing with one piece of the pie at the moment...so watch this space. It's a very tasty pie.

Well I can't wait to be a gluttonous American....Wait, I may already be. 

So the rogue idol thread is great, I think he fits in as my number 2 spot for allies or even number 1! You can now get foot of gork cast on a 6..... that's tasty! 

42 minutes ago, Southern trolls said:

Well I can't wait to be a gluttonous American....Wait, I may already be. 

So the rogue idol thread is great, I think he fits in as my number 2 spot for allies or even number 1! You can now get foot of gork cast on a 6..... that's tasty! 

Admittedly I've just started really playing games, but this sounds tricky as you now have to keep 20 Orruks and the Idol near the Weirdnob.

7 minutes ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

Admittedly I've just started really playing games, but this sounds tricky as you now have to keep 20 Orruks and the Idol near the Weirdnob.

Well thats easy enough to do..Weirdfist. Keep him bubble wrapped in Ardboys with the Idol hanging out as well

9 minutes ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

That's 1k points tied up with a model with random movement.

But thats not the point is it? The point is to cast Foot from potentially across the board with +3 to cast. Minimum of 3 units of Ardboys plus the Shaman in the battalion gives 18" + 24" inch cast plus potential extra MW added on. So sure its slow and you kinda shuffle it as a group towards objectives while the rest of your force, say a Ironfist, runs up to hold the line while your Shaman blasts everything in sight. And could also hilariously snipe low wound count heroes with green puke 

36 minutes ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

That's 1k points tied up with a model with random movement.

I like to think of it this way. I always take a weirdknob, I know he is a debatable choice (here's looking at you) @Chris Tomlin :) but I think for my style I like having him mainly for MS. So no tax there. I almost always group up and protect my heroes / important pieces turn 1 so the 20+ models are no tax there either. Also, Ironjawz will be moving a bit slower without the destruction move (unless there is another trait not released) so he may be in range of 10+ or 20+ orruks turn 2 or 3 depending on scenarios! Rogue idol is just awesome, so no tax there ha! So the only tax I think I'd be shelling out for the combo is the balewind @100 points and possible the weirdfist formation. 

As one of my good friends plays sylvaneth a lot, it can be a bit tricky ploughing through the 2+ rerollable saves or the immune to rend -1 so mortal wounds helps take care of that. 

2 hours ago, Let's 'ere it for da boyz! said:

Does anyone think these new point reductions make the Cabbage and Gordrakk will see inclusion in competitive lists now?

Very attractive option for the caggage now. His dinner plate base is helpful now in the multiple (D3) inspiring presence's. in case you run two brute bombs on opposing sides for flanking you can possibly still hit both with his large base. I've got him in a test list to try out and another with the mega boss to try for the extra chance at the new Ironjawz move. 

On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 9:44 PM, Southern trolls said:

I like to think of it this way. I always take a weirdknob, I know he is a debatable choice (here's looking at you) @Chris Tomlin

Oh my disliking for him ended about 8 months ago I think! Haven't run a list this year without him. Utterly necessary at any cost....obviously we now have some options for cheaper Mystic Shield casters thanks to Allies.

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 8:23 PM, Malakithe said:

Any work on the other battalion?

I'll post up a review of it in the GH2017 Ironjawz Review & Discussion thread within the forum. It's much better than Ironsunz IMO!!!

3 hours ago, Let's 'ere it for da boyz! said:

Does anyone think these new point reductions make the Cabbage and Gordrakk will see inclusion in competitive lists now?

All competitive Ironjawz lists ran the Cabbage anyway, he had become an absolute must. Losing the Talisman hurts him, but the 6+ ignore wounds/mortal wounds Artefact is a nice option as with so many wounds on his profile, you're bound to pop a couple of cheeky 6's along the way (still have some TBS dice for sale btw if you need help in this department!!). Also that item stops wounds not damage.

But yeh, he will remain a competitive option. I can see more people taking Gordrakk now as well!!!

Chris

8 minutes ago, Southern trolls said:

@Chris Tomlin can you send me a DM on twitter with the colors and details?

Hey,

Sorry I don't understand this sentence. Please clarify.

Rampaging Destroyers / Mighty Destroyers - The bonus given is dependant on the proximity of enemy units. Move 6" / Charge / Pile in are the three potential effects. I'll let you work out how far away the enemy would need to be for each to apply! ;) 

1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Hey,

Sorry I don't understand this sentence. Please clarify.

Rampaging Destroyers / Mighty Destroyers - The bonus given is dependant on the proximity of enemy units. Move 6" / Charge / Pile in are the three potential effects. I'll let you work out how far away the enemy would need to be for each to apply! ;) 

Your dice, bro.

Archived