Let's chat: Daughters of Khaine

Payce

On 4/13/2018 at 7:53 AM, DantePQ said:

30550353_1835197206548712_392773184_o.jpg.921fb0e965353ccd3311594eec66f0ee.jpg

Here comes group photo :D

Also from what I've read about ID as for now they are fairly good match up for DoK but we got to see. 

Absolutely amazing scheme - the purple and gold reminds me of the druchii of old.

I love MSU/movement focused lists. Has anyone had any practice with a Khailebron Shadow Patrol?  Double teleport 20 lifetakers/blood sisters sounds  intriguing.

I dont have the battle tome but do the rules for Shadow Patrol state the power must be used in the Hero Phase? Teleporting 10 warlocks in with the Khailebron command and then withdrawing them with the patrol ability could be interesting...

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking for advice choosing between two 1000 pts. I don't have a lot of games under my belt, all of them with sylvaneth at the 1000pts level. I did proxy list #1 once and enjoyed the variety of units and options.

So first list is a variety pack of units, lots of spells/options for temples and artifacts

Bloodwrack Medusa

Hag Queen on CoB

5x Blood Sisters

10 Witch elves (daggers)

5x Doomfire Warlocks

5x Heartrenders

5x Heartrenders

Or a Slaughter Troupe granting a 2-drop deployment and interesting options with Draichi Ganeth.

Slaughter Queen on CoB

10x Sisters of Slaughter (Dagger or shield?)

10x Sisters of Slaughter

5x Heartrenders

5x Heartrenders

5x Doomfire Warlocks

(Slaughter troupe battalion)

I'm wondering how effective Slaughter troupe is at 1000 pts. I've already converted and painted Drider-style warlocks so they are going in my list either way haha! So between the two lists, which offers the best potency as an all-comers list? In the Slaughter troupe, would I be best to go with shields or daggers on the SoS? I get the feeling that it would be best not to take a squad of each, just unsure what to pick.

Thanks for your advice!

Edit: Added a pictures of my Cauldron of Blood and Doomfire Warlocks. I didn't like the original models so I made my own...

Dok Driders.JPG

spider quen 3b.jpg

This is what I'm trying out today (No Morathi). Comments are very much appreciated! (my first game with DoK)

Allegiance: Daughters Of Khaine

- Temple: Hagg Nar

Leaders

Bloodwrack Medusa (140)
- Artefact : Crystal Heart
- Lore of Shadows : Shroud of Despair

Hag Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (300)
- General
- Command Trait : Devoted Desciples
- Prayer : Blessing of Khaine

Hag Queen (60)
- Prayer : Catechsim of Murder

Hag Queen (60)
- Prayer : Crimson Rejuvenation

Bloodwrack Medusa (140)
- Artefact : Shadow Stone
- Lore of Shadows : Mindrazor

Units

5 x Khinerai Lifetakers (80)

20 x Witch Aelves (200)
-Sacrificial Knives and Blade Bucklers

20 x Witch Aelves (200)

20 x Witch Aelves (200)
-Pairs of Sacrificial Knives

10 x Witch Aelves (100)

10 x Doomfire Warlocks (320)
- Lore of Shadows : The Withering

Battalions

Cauldron Guard (100)

Total: 1980 / 2000

1 hour ago, Columind said:

This is what I'm trying out today (No Morathi). Comments are very much appreciated! (my first game with DoK)

Leaders

Bloodwrack Medusa (140)

- General

Hag Queen (60)

Hag Queen (60)

Bloodwrack Medusa (140)

Units

20 x Witch Aelves (200)

20 x Witch Aelves (200)

20 x Witch Aelves (200)

10 x Witch Aelves (100)

Battalions

Cauldron Guard (100)

Lot of units of 20 witches, would it not be more efficient to try get units of 30 for that point discount and more lasting power too? Not to mention a unit of 10 Khinerai, though you're going for the cauldron guard, hence the tax.

I think by dropping the unit of 10 witches and maybe one of the heroes could open up some points to increasing your existing units/lowering drops?

2 hours ago, Columind said:

Leaders

Bloodwrack Medusa (140)

- General

Hag Queen (60)

Hag Queen (60)

Bloodwrack Medusa (140)

Units

20 x Witch Aelves (200)

20 x Witch Aelves (200)

20 x Witch Aelves (200)

10 x Witch Aelves (100)

Battalions

Cauldron Guard (100)

Combine the 10 witch aelves into 30 and upgrade the hag cauldron to a slaughter cauldron. I also think you're investing more into magic than you need to, but that's more subjective. I would definitely recommend giving 2 units mindrazor. Not losing that is more important than having 3 signatures.

13 minutes ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was the top DoK list @ Adepticon the 60 Blood Sisters List?

Nope top list was

Bloodwrack Medusa 

Hag Cauldron 

2xHag Queen 

Morathi 

2x30 Witches with bucklers

15 Blood Sisters

On 2018-04-15 at 9:21 AM, Twitch of Izalith said:

So its been a long time coming but I finally settled on a colour scheme for Morathi and got her painted :) 

Morathi1 - Copy.JPG

Morathi2 - Copy.JPG

Morathi3 - Copy.JPG

WOAH great job!! Love lots about this,  how the different colors come together, much prefer this to the studio one. Nice outdoor shots too. She was a terror to put together for me and still haven't taken the leap into painting her, but this takes me more into that direction so thanks for sharing! 

On 2018-04-14 at 11:36 AM, DantePQ said:

@JD222 sure if you want I can post colors here or after whole army is finished ;)

Thanks for all kind words, I like that they are turning grimdark but flashy, they got a chance to beat Harlequins for my most beautiful army. 

Yes please do, definitely interested, especially in the skin tone and wings, loving the purple and gold.

Very welcome thank you for sharing, I saved the picture and was showing my girlfriend who helps me paint, and my buddy Arthur who's an amazing painter haha and they both dropped their jaws when I showed them yours and was my inspiration to start my first five Khinerai heartrenders too!!

19 hours ago, BURF1 said:

Combine the 10 witch aelves into 30 and upgrade the hag cauldron to a slaughter cauldron. I also think you're investing more into magic than you need to, but that's more subjective. I would definitely recommend giving 2 units mindrazor. Not losing that is more important than having 3 signatures.

Ok, so I played scorched earth and marginally lost against a double zombie dragon legion of sacrament list (he was rolling like Kairos, so there's hope). First thoughts:

1) played the lifetakers a bit wrong (mostly screening because they wouldn't hope to be able to beat units 20 skelletons for the objectives and those dragons need some speed bumps) but overall they seem very lackluster, at least in units of 5. If not for the battallion I woundn't take them;

2) need more witches. Units of 20 are very good but are not enough. I did hold up a flank against the 2 dragons (900+ pts) with 20 of them, a hag and a bloodwrack shrine, later helped by 10 warlocks for 2 turns. Manage to put 5+6 wounds on Vordrai and Vampire lord but he healed them all back completely with the chalices in one go (!);

3) Magic didn't help as much as prayers did. I also had to spread the army a lot which didn't help with either buffs, debuffs or ward save shields;

4) The army needs some practice. Too many prayers and spells to keep track of everything in a tight order.

Want to try replacing the khinerai and the battallion for more witch elves and perhaps some blood sisters or an avatar before introducing morathi.

So I have my first ever AoS tournament the 22nd (or this Sunday,) and I was hoping to get some feedback on the list I was gonna bring, so I could fine tune it a bit if needed. I would really appreciate it.

DoK Tournament Test List.

Leaders

Slaughter Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (330)

• General 
  • Trait: Devoted Disciples

- Artefact: Amulet of Dark Fire 

- Prayer: Blessing of Khaine

Hag Queen (60)

- Prayer: Crimson Rejuvenation

Hag Queen (60)

- Prayer: Sacrament of Blood

Hag Queen (60)

- Prayer: Martyr’s Sacrifice

Bloodwrack Medusa (140)

- Artefact: Shadow Stone 

- Lore of Shadows: Mindrazor

Battleline

30 x Witch Aelves (270)

- Pairs of Sacrificial Knives

10 x Sisters Of Slaughter (120)

- Sacrificial Knives and Blade Bucklers

10 x Blood Sisters (280)

- Daughters of Khaine Battleline (Bloodwrack Medusa General)

Units

- Lore of Shadows: Shroud of Despair

5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (80)

Slaughter Troupe (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000

Allies: 0 / 400

Wounds: 134

Edit; Sorry about the large text, this was copy-pasted from the warscroll builder.

2 hours ago, Nilworth said:

Leaders

Slaughter Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (330)

• General 
  • Trait: Devoted Disciples

- Artefact: Amulet of Dark Fire 

- Prayer: Blessing of Khaine

Hag Queen (60)

- Prayer: Crimson Rejuvenation

Hag Queen (60)

- Prayer: Sacrament of Blood

Hag Queen (60)

- Prayer: Martyr’s Sacrifice

Bloodwrack Medusa (140)

- Artefact: Shadow Stone 

- Lore of Shadows: Mindrazor

Battleline

30 x Witch Aelves (270)

- Pairs of Sacrificial Knives

10 x Blood Sisters (280)

- Daughters of Khaine Battleline (Bloodwrack Medusa General)

Units

- Lore of Shadows: Shroud of Despair

Slaughter Troupe (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000

I would definitely combine the two units of ten Sisters of Slaughter into one unit of 20 depending on what you plan on doing with them.  Unless you are using them as chaff, ten Sisters of Slaughter or ten Witch Elves do not last very long at all. Same with the Heartrenders; if you want them for last minute objective grabbing, then do two units of five.  Otherwise if you want them to contribute significantly, one unit of ten will last somewhat longer due to their mobility.

Ten Doomfire warlocks, while expensive, is basically giving you a 20 wound spellcaster that can spam 6 mortal wounds. 

Can't go wrong with multiple hag queens in my opinion; the Blood Blessings are very good.  Honestly I would drop Crimson Rejuvenation;  while certainly helpful, there are better blessings to buff your troops with instead of just healing d3 wounds on a single unit.

Overall looks pretty good.  I'm not amazing at list optimization, but it looks fun to play and should be pretty effective on the tabletop.

2 minutes ago, DJMoose said:

I would definitely combine the two units of ten Sisters of Slaughter into one unit of 20 depending on what you plan on doing with them.  Unless you are using them as chaff, ten Sisters of Slaughter or ten Witch Elves do not last very long at all. Same with the Heartrenders; if you want them for last minute objective grabbing, then do two units of five.  Otherwise if you want them to contribute significantly, one unit of ten will last somewhat longer due to their mobility.

Ten Doomfire warlocks, while expensive, is basically giving you a 20 wound spellcaster that can spam 6 mortal wounds. 

Can't go wrong with multiple hag queens in my opinion; the Blood Blessings are very good.

Overall looks pretty good.  I'm not amazing at list optimization, but it looks fun to play and should be pretty effective on the tabletop.

The SoS are there for objective holding and to fill out my battle line requirements. Same for the warlocks, plus that dedicated mortal wounds for certain lightning boys. 

The 2 units of Heartrenders are there for objectives and back line harass. The reason I have 2 units rather than one is so I have more chances to get the move after shoot and the multiple +1 to hit from the sergeant. 

Im the biggest debate I have with it is whether or not to split the doomfires into 2 or drop 5 for 10 Lifetakers.

I playtested against my buddy and his Kharadrons and tabled him turn 2 due to god rolls on my saves and my Blood Sisters with brew and Mind razor took out 10 Company, 5 thunderers, a khemist, an endrinmaster, and Ironclad in 2 combats with only 7 of them.

He got first turn and mulched my witch elves down to 7 models after battle shock, and took out 1/2 a Blood Sister with 6 Skywardens with Spears, then charged them. He took 1 out then I wiped his Balloon boys out.

Those 7 witch elves proceeded to get a witch brew and charged a whopping 12 inches into his right flank of Khemist, 2 5-man thunderers, and Frigate. On my left side the sneks charged into the Ironclad group, and I attacked with them first. He also use some bombs on his frigate so my witches couldn’t attack till everything else had. 4 witches survived, his 10 thunderers didn’t.

At this point he had 20 of the Arkanought company left in 2 squads of 10. The game mode we rolled for was one where each deployment zone had an objective, at the end of turn 3 if you held both you won and deployment was corner to corner. So I had 10 SoS on my he had 10 Company on his. His turn he plinked 3 wounds off my Cauldron, and 2 off a hag. Killed the remaining witch elves and another 1 Blood sister. (He won roll off again.) Once again I had amazing save rolls and he had some pretty bad ones.

My Sneks finished off his Khemist on the left in his turn, and that was it.

My turn I bring my other 10 SoS and Cauldron towards his frigate and drop my 10 Heartrenders on his back squad. Doomfires and Sneks take out his front 10 Company,  and Cauldron and SoS take out his last Khemist and his Frigate.

Heartrenders do enough damage to last 10 Company that they all flee in battleshock and that’s the end of the game. To be fair to my buddy he kept track of my 6s rolled and it was like 72 or something. The big shock was my Blood Sisters ended up killing his Ironclad, an Khemist in one round and his Endrinmaster, 10 Company, and 5 Thunderers in the first. They did 24 unsaved wounds to the Ironclad alone.

I'm not a fan of the 10 doomfires setup, The base spell is what your spamming out and with bravery 6 any losses are likely to have battleshock losses very quickly. So the extra durability isn't really noticed. The crossbow is short range so unlikely to shoot all models on cavalry bases and in melee the extras aren't likely to attack.

I myself am on the fence about 10 Blood sisters vs 2x5 Blood Sisters, I've found that the 5 snake unit does pretty rediculous damage and focus fire has trouble killing them off. I guess that style has pros and cons that go in varying ways. 

I think Sisters of Slaughter would work well as the chaff lines, but I'd try to squeeze Martyrs Sacrifice for mortal wound bounce backs on units as well. That way no matter what your damage is going to hurt. Regardless of who charges and attacks first. 

7 minutes ago, Rollcage said:

I'm not a fan of the 10 doomfires setup, The base spell is what your spamming out and with bravery 6 any losses are likely to have battleshock losses very quickly. So the extra durability isn't really noticed. The crossbow is short range so unlikely to shoot all models on cavalry bases and in melee the extras aren't likely to attack.

I myself am on the fence about 10 Blood sisters vs 2x5 Blood Sisters, I've found that the 5 snake unit does pretty rediculous damage and focus fire has trouble killing them off. I guess that style has pros and cons that go in varying ways. 

I think Sisters of Slaughter would work well as the chaff lines, but I'd try to squeeze Martyrs Sacrifice for mortal wound bounce backs on units as well. That way no matter what your damage is going to hurt. Regardless of who charges and attacks first. 

The Doomfire’s bravery 6 doesn’t really hurt too much on the first turn or 2 because I didn’t have a target for the slaughter queens command, so I used Inspiring Presence on them and the extra bodies give me some leeway before I lose the 6 or d6 mortal wounds. I have the Blood Sisters in a block of 10 instead of 2 5-girl units so I only have to use one witchbrew one them and they all get Mindrazor.

If I did drop 5 doomfires though, my other options I have are any combination of 5 Blood Stalkers, another Medusa, 10 Lifetakers, 10 Buckler SoS, a Dark Elf Sorceress, a Mistweaver, or more Hag/Slaughter Queens on foot for the 160 points (or at least that’s what I own for replacements.) Unfortunately my other army is Sylvaneth so my ally options are limited. After hearing the good things recently about Lifetakers they are the most likely replacement for 160pts.

Im hopefully not sounding defensive, just trying to explain my thoughts, I do appreciate the feedback.

12 hours ago, grenndal said:

If you don't mind me asking what did you use for the spider half of your doomfire.  I really like your versions and wanted to do something similar.

Looks like they are the spiders from the Grot Spider Rider Box.

On 17/04/2018 at 3:54 PM, JD222 said:

WOAH great job!! Love lots about this,  how the different colors come together, much prefer this to the studio one. Nice outdoor shots too. She was a terror to put together for me and still haven't taken the leap into painting her, but this takes me more into that direction so thanks for sharing! 

Thanks! I mostly just paint to get things on the table but have been trying to get better and learn some new things and I wanted to make an effort for Morathi as she has been one of my favourite warhammer characters for a long time. I wanted the snake part to look very Slaaneshi and organic and then balance the intense colours with some contrasting cold colours - Which led me to having to attempt the dreaded white cloth :/ for the dress. I'm quite pleased with how she looks - particularly considering it could have gone so very badly wrong with Hot Pink, Yellow, neon green and a really bright purple all involved at the same time at one point. The model looked hideous when it was base coats only. I wish I took a picture then!

I also found the kit quite a difficult build. the design is really clever but i did end up with some gaps - one in the body and one down the back of the dress. I filled the one in the dress using liquid green stuff but because the other one is in the scales I thought i would just end up making a worse mess so I left it. Fortunately its in a hard to see place!

I kept the kit in 3 pieces to paint (left off the head and left wing) but if I could do it again I would also leave the spear as a separate piece and glue it on last when the rest was finished. I knocked it sooo many times while painting its a miracle it didn't get broken.

Little Morathi next :)

Archived