Let's chat: Daughters of Khaine

Payce

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, DioRa said:

So I've been seeing plenty of lists around, and the army is quite go forward and be in the face of your enemy kind of deal. What units do we leave behind to park on objectives in our deployment zone for matched play scenarios? Worth taking Darkshard allies to leave behind and camp? Or three units of blood stalkers?

In my opinion blood stalkers can fill the role (two units should be enough though) and are requirements for the awesome temple nest battalion. Other options are leaving a unit of SoS/ WE behind or deep striking khinerai when taking the objective is needed. Also against some armies you can let a big portion of your army sit in your backfield and let them come to you.

47 minutes ago, DioRa said:

So I've been seeing plenty of lists around, and the army is quite go forward and be in the face of your enemy kind of deal. What units do we leave behind to park on objectives in our deployment zone for matched play scenarios? Worth taking Darkshard allies to leave behind and camp? Or three units of blood stalkers?

Depends on your list.

When I was toying around with Khailebron lists, I'd leave a unit of 5 Bloodsisters behind, or I'd have a unit of Witches in there.  Khailebron is nice, since if your general is alive, and during Starstrike when the objective drops in your zone on Round 3, you can teleport a unit of your stalkers (who should be out of combat) back to the objective, ideally.

1 hour ago, DioRa said:

Most objective holding is going to be done by the large footprint of huge units of witch aelves. Blood Wracks, doomfire warlocks and 10 girl units of SoS are your best bet for straight camping. Darkshards are largely terrible and 3 units of blood stalkers is an enormous and poor investment better spent elsewhere. 

And remember, your opponent can't beat you on objectives if all of his models are dead.

Doomfire Warlocks are amazing for objective camping, they are very fast, can cast supportive spells and they have like 20A (10 with rend) and some shooting. If you're not taking Battalions so you don't have spare artifact to use for Medusa they are great choice for second spellcaster. 

7 hours ago, The Traitor said:

@TheWildRide: I would take the Slaughter Queen as general, divide a unit of witches in two, mix the blood sisters in one unit of ten, forego temple nest (you would need more snakes for it to really work) and take an additional hag queen instead. As for artefacts I would either take the thousand and one blessings or the amulet of dark fire on the Slaughter Queen (depending on how MW heavy is your meta) and the one that gives you +1 to cast on the bloodwrack to reliably cast mindrazor (so take mindrazor).

4 hours ago, BURF1 said:

Doubling up on battalions isn't really worth it. You're spending a lot of points on relatively small bonuses while also neutering the units in those battalions, plus you're pigeon holing yourself into taking lifetakers and stalkers which are only really worth their points in very specific lists.

Slaughter queen on cauldron should be your general whenever possible. In this case, you simply don't have enough blood sisters to justify losing out on her amazing command ability.

Artefacts are sort of meta dependent. Good candidates are blood sigil, shadow rune, amulet of dark fire, a thousand and one dark blessings, but many others are very usable

ALWAYS TAKE MINDRAZOR. Mindrazor is arguably the best spell in the entire game. After that all the spells have valuable uses(steed and mirrordance need the right list tho)

Unfortunately for model count, the only way to reduce it, ESPECIALLY with W/E or SoS, without gimping the army, is to take huge numbers of snakes or shadowhammer compact. Witch Elves and SoS are some of the best battleline in the game and I consider 50 to be mandatory for about 80% of lists and personally feel that having 90 is something that every DoK player should be working towards(not that you should run 90 but being able to pick and choose between is great)

Thanks for the advice guys! I've only recently learned about the concept of "drops" but may have gone a bit far in trying to get that count as low as possible by just taking two battalions.

Mindrazor is good, got it. Also good to know that artefacts aren't really a cookie-cutter thing. As far as I know artefacts aren't WYSIWYG, so I'm free to swap them around, right?

At what point in the Blood Sister count does it become worthwhile to make a Bloodwrack Medusa/Shrine your general?  I would much prefer to build a list heavy on Blood Sisters with minimal Witches/SoS than the opposite, because painting 50 Witch Aelves for only 1/4 of my army sounds like a chore to me. At the same time though I already have a Blood Coven box (unassembled) and would like to make full use of as many of the included models as possible.

Drops are kind of a weakness to the Daughters on the 2000 point level. Depending on your local meta it might be better to invest the points in more Attack power.

You can take which artefact you like. It would be great if you would model artefacts also but there is no need to do that. That also depends on your gaming group and how you handle it.

Its more about the point size you are playing with and your list building/model options.

45 minutes ago, TheWildRide said:

Thanks for the advice guys! I've only recently learned about the concept of "drops" but may have gone a bit far in trying to get that count as low as possible by just taking two battalions.

Mindrazor is good, got it. Also good to know that artefacts aren't really a cookie-cutter thing. As far as I know artefacts aren't WYSIWYG, so I'm free to swap them around, right?

At what point in the Blood Sister count does it become worthwhile to make a Bloodwrack Medusa/Shrine your general?  I would much prefer to build a list heavy on Blood Sisters with minimal Witches/SoS than the opposite, because painting 50 Witch Aelves for only 1/4 of my army sounds like a chore to me. At the same time though I already have a Blood Coven box (unassembled) and would like to make full use of as many of the included models as possible.

If you can't get down to 1 drop, as long as you keep sub 10 you'll be fine. Killing yourself to get down to 2 or 3 drops isn't really worth imo.

Artefacts are not WYSIWYG.

Taking the shrine as general is worth it if you're taking temple with at least 30 danger noodles. You're going to be using the shrine as general pretty much only if you're planning on running 10 or less witch elves.

Alright, some trial and error will be needed I think.

As an aside, could someone please explain to me why Heartrenders are considered better than Lifetakers? As far as I can see, in a vacuum Heartrenders only outperform Lifetakers against 2+ saves, and even then only when neither special rule (Death on the Wind/Death From Above) is active. This isn't even adding in the extra mortal wounds that might be caused by the heartpiercer shields, which the Lifetakers are more likely to be in combat to trigger. I'm haven't taken into account how buffs from leaders, Blood Rites or other sources might affect this, but there's too many permutations to run them all. What am I missing?

In a similar vein, although I can see (and agree) that Witch Aelves/Sisters of Slaughter are considered largely comparable, how do their weapon options compare? Are bucklers or knives the clearly better choice for either/both?

Easy Heartrenders are threat right away with shooting, Lifetakers got to make a charge. Heartrenders have rend, Heartrenders can move after shooting = if so they can retreat or setup successful charge. They are awesome tactical tool. 

18 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

Easy Heartrenders are threat right away with shooting, Lifetakers got to make a charge. Heartrenders have rend, Heartrenders can move after shooting = if so they can retreat or setup successful charge. They are awesome tactical tool. 

14 minutes ago, The Traitor said:

@TheWildRide: Just what @DantePQ said, they can shoot out of DS. And no, there's no consensus, at least yet on the shield vs second knife debate. Personally I think you can make an argument for both, depends if you're going to use the unit more offensively or as a screen.

You know, I totally forgot that Heartrenders could charge into combat after shooting. D'oh! Adding those extra attacks brings them to a far more comparable damage output, and then they have all the other advantages that have been mentioned too.

By the way, does anyone find the names of the two Khinerai units to be somewhat confusing? I always think the Lifetakers are the ranged ones and the Heartrenders are melee.

Heartrenders can also run and shoot, so after the drop they can quickly Re-position to grab an objective or threaten another target. At the best case scenario that's a 32" threat range after the drop.

Also they are called Heartrenders after morathi's spear. So it's easy to remember them as that as they too also have spears/javelins 

They only way I see lifetakers being good is in Hag narr and getting a turn 3 charge (turn 2 with the sacrament of blood prayer) and with mind razor cast + cataclysm of slaughter on them. So they need more buffs that the Heartrenders. 

As Dante said, Heartrenders are a better tactical tool and they are solely independent. They don't need buffs they just do there own thing. I've been running 4 units of 5 so far and they have been doing work. Haven't lost with the daughters yet. 

*dive hawkmen! Diveeeeeee!!* xD each one has a different head to make them unique amongst each other 

IMAG2315.jpg

As for Buckler vs Knives 

I think that for my army I will end up with 

30 SoS with Knives 

30 Witches with Bucklers 

10 Witches with Knives 

Bucklers are really good when taking objective bunkering into consideration. Unit of witches near Cauldron (especially near HaggNar) with possibility of Mystic Shield and/or Martyr's Sacrifice would be tough to move from objective even if charged. And from my expiernce Witches die easily when charged or attacking second. 

At first I thought that small units will be better with Bucklers but after some games they are not. 

@Ekrund Oath Splitters: been thinking of mixing mine up with DE scourges for diversity, but I would need to press mold the arms and the heads... Also, there are only 5 masked heads in each box, right?

Also, on another note, what's people's opinion on Shadow Patrol? For me it's a way to teleport 10 Doomfires to give a chance of casting the 6MW spell while taking Hagg Bar, but it's also the most expensive battalion and requires me to run 4x5 heartrenders instead of the probably better 2x5 and 1x10...

40 minutes ago, The Traitor said:

@Ekrund Oath Splitters: been thinking of mixing mine up with DE scourges for diversity, but I would need to press mold the arms and the heads... Also, there are only 5 masked heads in each box, right?

Also, on another note, what's people's opinion on Shadow Patrol? For me it's a way to teleport 10 Doomfires to give a chance of casting the 6MW spell while taking Hagg Bar, but it's also the most expensive battalion and requires me to run 4x5 heartrenders instead of the probably better 2x5 and 1x10...

There's 6 masked ones. I used sister of slaughter heads.

I want to come up with a 1000 point list of DoK:

Allegiance: Daughters Of Khaine
- Temple: Hagg Nar
Slaughter Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (330)
- General
- Trait: True Believer
- Artefact: Thousand and One Dark Blessings
- Prayer: Blessing of Khaine
Bloodwrack Medusa (140)
- Lore of Shadows: Mindrazor
Hag Queen (60)
- Prayer: Catechsim of Murder
Hag Queen (60)
- Prayer: Martyr's Sacrifice
10 x Witch Aelves (100)
- Pairs of Sacrificial Knives
30 x Sisters Of Slaughter (300)

Total: 990 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 69

On the 1000 points we get now 4 heroes which are each buffing the big blob of Sisters of Slaughter. The 2" reach of the Sisters makes sure we have enough fighting models. For a second battleline unit I chose a unit of Witch elves.

We have 3 Prayers per turn and the Mindrazor for extra carnage. The whole list is protected by the 5++, the Cauldrons +1 save and the blessing of Khaine so we get to the enemy at maximum strength.

In my opinion the 1000 point games are very fast and so I chose the True believer trait on the Slaughter Queen to count the battle round number one higher for the blood rites. We could really make use of that reroll 1 to charges in the first turn. Also rerolling hit rolls of 1 is super nasty! I want my Avatar as quickly as possible.

What do you think?

The obvious problems if the list is the speed. We might shine on small maps against close combat opponents. Also the mission with heroes capturing objectives might be good.

On 3/16/2018 at 11:05 PM, Scythian said:

The entire 2k Daughters of Khaine “Serpents of Khaine” list is now officially ready for table top play.  Finished the Bloodwrack Medusa’s tonight to complete the army. My fellow battle sisters, the snakes are ready! 

58CE9BA0-36C4-4AA5-AAB2-1B2E255DC11C.jpeg

5579DC44-3FB8-4FDA-B241-B62E524613EE.jpeg

What does your lust look like? That’s awesome enough to play!

@Kaleun that list has some pretty gaping weaknesses.  Unlike in 2k, in 1k it is extremely difficult to cover all objectives, making mobility even more paramount.  Seraphon, Fyreslayers, or anyone who can drop behind you will win with ease on 4/6 of the battle plans.  Heartrenders and Doomfires are probably the best investment in a 1k game.  

I would drop the Medusa and one of the hag Queens, switch the unit of sos to witches and then add a unit of Heartrenders and a unit of Doomfires. And that hits 1k on the nose.

thanks! I adjusted the list:

Allegiance: Daughters Of Khaine
- Temple: Hagg Nar
Slaughter Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (330)
- General
- Trait: Devoted Desciples
- Artefact: Thousand and One Dark Blessings
- Prayer: Blessing of Khaine
Hag Queen (60)
- Prayer: Catechsim of Murder
30 x Witch Aelves (270)
10 x Witch Aelves (100)
5 x Doomfire Warlocks (160)
- Lore of Shadows: Mindrazor
5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (80)

Total: 1000 / 1000

Khailebron starts being more and more appealing...

Archived