Let's chat: Daughters of Khaine

Payce

On 2018-03-13 at 6:07 AM, Kramer said:

Quick question for the magnetising wizards in this thread. Did anyone manage to magnetise the slaughter queen so you can switch her with the hag queen on the Cauldron?

I managed to magnetise everything except that I don't have any idea how to get a magnet in her stiletto shoes :S (hag queen has one foot on a skull, so that is easy enough)

I based both of mine on 32mm bases and magnetized underneath. On the cauldron put a magnet, so easily can go on foot or on cauldron. Also used magnets for the Khaine statue, mirror and Medusa, which I did when the the kit first came out, super happy I did, and now just making a base for the Khaine statue which is magnetized and trying to make it look like it's flying through a wave of blood!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, DantePQ said:

Had an interesitng game yesterday :

Against : Mixed Order (3 Frostheart  Pheonixes- one General with Pheonix Stone), Morathi, 3x10 Skinks, 2xwaywatcher hero, 5x5 Waywatchers) 

Scenario : Knife to the Heart 

My army : HaggNar - Slaughter Queen with Cauldron (Amulet of Dark Fire, Blessing of Khaine prayer), Morathi (Mindrazor), 2xHag Queen (Sacrament of Blood and Crimson Rejuvenation), 30 SoS, 30 WE, 10 WE(with bucklers), 5 Doomfire (Shroud of Despair), 10 Heartrenders, 5 Heartrenders. 

Made a huge mistake with not going first as I passed on first turn, my enemy advanced (30 SoS and 10 WElves were near my objective, rest of the army was close to his deployment zone) and thanks to great shooting (he had re-rolls of wounds on almost everything thanks to mystical terrrain) by 30 Witch Aelves were almsot dead (6 survived after battleshock), I did little in my turn - killed one his hero with Morathi spells, advanced big block SoS a little closer. I won a turn and gave it back as apart from magic (and his key targets were hidden) I couldn't do much - he wasted his turn as he didn't have any targets as well (he tried to shot down remianing witches but one got away and surviced hidden whole game - precious points). In my second I advanced SoS to be in position to charge along with Cauldron, luckily I got third turn charged 25 SoS into his 2 pheonixes , Cauldron failed charge :P. Sisters with Mindrazor (I didn't manage to cast Shroud of Despair) and Witchbrew didn't whole of nothing against pheonixes - I managed to inflict like 6 wounds total and kill one unit of waywatchers. In his turn he anihiliated SoS and damaged a little Cauldron (as I had 4++ agaianst magic it wasn't much). In fourt he charged Cauldron with 3 Pheonixes (Cauldron had all the stuff switched on - re-rolls of FF and mystic shield). He managed to score total of 3 wounds against it :P , Cauldron inflicted like 6W on one bird then in my 4th I transformed Morathi and put myslef into charge postion, dropped heartrenders into his waywatchers. I didn't manage to cast Midrazor or Shroud of Despar again, Morathi, failed her charge but I healed 3 Wounds on Cauldron. Cauldron used CA and killed one bird in extra combat phase - then took another 3 wounds. I didn't get 5th turn as well, so he changed his Morathi and made a mistake as he shoudl tarpit my Morathi instead he charged Cauldron - and Cauldron killed another bird and took 3 wounds of Morathi. I charged my Morathi in my fith and she killed Pheonix general in one turn of combat :D, Cauldron killed last bird but was destroyed as well. Heartrenders scored some points agains tWaywatchers

All in the end I won minor as I had 820 points captured to 790 lost :D. 

I guess I made some bad mistakes (giving up first turn) but Hagg Narr Cauldron is amazing with 4+ save and 5++ FF with re-rolls and some healing nearny it's a truck and it hit ver hard as well (with any buff - Mindrazor, Wtichbrew, HaggNar ability) it survived like 4 rounds of combats against 3pheonixes and later on Morathi. 

Morathi is awesome as well, it was quite easy to shield her against shooting with her huge spell range and then she won the game with a Charge into enemy general - without any buffs as HaggNar ability and Alliance ability in 5th turn is amazing. HaggNar is quite reliable as one Cauldron is really amazing with buffing all units nearby.

Also Knife to the Heart is quite static scenario as good player will give you little possibility to win with major unless you table him.

So far so good with DoK : 2 wins (minor and major) against Mixed order and majors against Maggotkin, Sylvaneth, Legions of Nagash and KO. Next up are SCE :D and then some Changehost.  

Also some random thoughts :

I work how incorporate Blood Sisters into this army (I am reluctant to make Bloodshrine a general as Cauldron with HaggNarr ability and Amulet of Fire is amazing tool).  I think I will cut down some Heartrenders and one big block of troops for 10 Blood Sisters (will have more wounds as well) as unit that hits hard and has rend on their own is very much needed (also higher bravery and already rend is amazing for Mindrazor)

Slaughter Queen, Morathi, 2xHag Queen, 5 Doomfire, 30 SoS , 2x10 Witches, 10 Blood Sisters, 2x5 Heartrenders :D 

My 2k  list is:

Morathi, Slaughter queen on Cauldron, 2 Hag queens, Medusae,  30 Witch elves, 10 Witch elves, 10 Sisters of Slaughter, 10 Blood sisters, 10 Heartrenders. 

2000 on the nose. Was looking at Doomfire warlocks instead of Medusae at first but they won't fit point wise  (and I don't have the models, yet).

12 minutes ago, Keldaur said:

Switching the doomfires for medusae sounds good and all that, but if you want to consistently cast mindrazor, there is no better option than medusae with shadow stone.

Since I don't have any battalion I must choose if I want the amulet on my Slaughter queen or the stone on Medusae.

1 hour ago, Amradiel said:

My 2k  list is:

Morathi, Slaughter queen on Cauldron, 2 Hag queens, Medusae,  30 Witch elves, 10 Witch elves, 10 Sisters of Slaughter, 10 Blood sisters, 10 Heartrenders. 

2000 on the nose. Was looking at Doomfire warlocks instead of Medusae at first but they won't fit point wise  (and I don't have the models, yet).

So it basically almost the same list as @DantePQ posted only change is swapping Doomfire Warlocks for Medusae ? You also prefer amulet of Dark Fire ? 

Yep I've posted this list but who cares ? :P it all fun. 

Without artefact (and Amulet of Fire in competitve play is much better then Shadow Stone in this meta - of course it could change but then Crown of Woe is fantastic or two prayers) Warlocks are much better then Meduse for start they can inflict D6 mortals wounds (Morathi can as well), also they have twice as much wounds, are faster, they shoot, they fight with rend and can guard objectives being a spell threat. @Richelieu talked about how important Blood Stalkers could be and in my army that's a role of Warlocks. Also if you could in this meta you should go for more Wounds. 

42 minutes ago, Aranthir said:

So it basically almost the same list as @DantePQ posted only change is swapping Doomfire Warlocks for Medusae ? You also prefer amulet of Dark Fire ? 

Thats why I posted mine. Because it was so similar. But I have 30 Witch elves instead of 30 Sisters of Slaughter :)

3 hours ago, Amradiel said:

Since I don't have any battalion I must choose if I want the amulet on my Slaughter queen or the stone on Medusae.

It depends if your Slaughter queen is on cauldron or not then, and what your meta is. Not the general competitive meta, but yours, specifically, like for example a guy who goes to his Local Store tournament with mirrorshield on his bigfat stardrake when he knows no one in his local scene plays shooting, just because "it's the meta" is a very silly thing to do.

3 hours ago, DantePQ said:

Yep I've posted this list but who cares ? :P it all fun. 

Without artefact (and Amulet of Fire in competitve play is much better then Shadow Stone in this meta - of course it could change but then Crown of Woe is fantastic or two prayers) Warlocks are much better then Meduse for start they can inflict D6 mortals wounds (Morathi can as well), also they have twice as much wounds, are faster, they shoot, they fight with rend and can guard objectives being a spell threat. @Richelieu talked about how important Blood Stalkers could be and in my army that's a role of Warlocks. Also if you could in this meta you should go for more Wounds. 

Thats why I wanted Warlocks,  but if I replace the Medusae with Warlocks the points lands at 2020.  And not sure what I would drop for that. 

2 hours ago, Amradiel said:

Thats why I posted mine. Because it was so similar. But I have 30 Witch elves instead of 30 Sisters of Slaughter :)

It's a great list I think and not very hard to came up with it. Try Doomfires from my expiernce if you don't have battalion they are much better then Medusa. 

Drop 10 SoS for 10 Witches easy ;) that's exactly 20. 

14 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

It's a great list I think and not very hard to came up with it. Try Doomfires from my expiernce if you don't have battalion they are much better then Medusa. 

Drop 10 SoS for 10 Witches easy ;) that's exactly 20. 

Just another box on my shopping list ;)

Allegiance: Daughters Of Khaine
- Temple: Khailebron
Bloodwrack Shrine (220)
- General
- Trait: Mistress of Illusion 
- Artefact: Shadow Stone 
- Lore of Shadows: Mirror Dance
Bloodwrack Medusa (140)
- Lore of Shadows: Steed of Shadows
Morathi High Oracle of Khaine (480)
- Lore of Shadows: Mindrazor
Hag Queen (60)
- Artefact: Iron Circlet 
- Prayer: Catechsim of Murder
30 x Witch Aelves (270)
- Pairs of Sacrificial Knives
10 x Blood Sisters (280)
5 x Blood Sisters (140)
5 x Blood Stalkers (160)
5 x Blood Stalkers (160)
Temple Nest (80)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 110

4 drops.  Witches for screens.  Mirror Dance for Morathi alpha strike trick if the opponent forces you to go first.  Teleporting Blood Sisters/flying Medusa for Mobility to hit a horde.  Blood Stalkers for Battalion tax/sniping.  Weak on Prayers, but Catechism is only there to boost the Witches/Sisters/Morathi, and brew for rerolls.  I like the way this looks.

So I got to have my first game with the daughters yesterday!

I can confirm that versus bonesplitter morboys the blood sisters really pack a punch! The 2 inch range on the spears is really nice too. Though I'm not very good at using mistress of illusions from khailebron yet... 9 inch charges are bad to rely on. I could see it working well woth mirror dance to get units where you want though.

The avatar is really good! Just never rely on one priest for him, thankfully I was running 3. He really hurts.!

Very fun army but very squishy!

I talked about it with my friend that they seem squishy but really aren't. When you take HaggNar they are tough as nails, Cauldron can withstand huge damage (and can be healed), Morathi when played well will have 2-3+ save and 5+FF along with -1 to hit and Heart of Khaine, and even Witches without bucklers near Cauldron are 5+,5++. Also Witchbrew makes some units immune to Battleshock - and even 15 witches packs a serious punch (that's like 60A with possible re-rolls of to hit and to wound rolls). 

I'd love to have a Crown of Woe on my Slaughter Queen but Amulet of Dark Fire is really amazing so far (and I haven't played against Changehost yet)

It needs to have units nearby Cauldron, but then you can use other units without those bonuses as glassy scalpel. But HaggNar gives tools to bunker on objectives with units or leaders and it's tough to do much against it. 

4 hours ago, DantePQ said:

I talked about it with my friend that they seem squishy but really aren't. When you take HaggNar they are tough as nails, Cauldron can withstand huge damage (and can be healed), Morathi when played well will have 2-3+ save and 5+FF along with -1 to hit and Heart of Khaine, and even Witches without bucklers near Cauldron are 5+,5++. Also Witchbrew makes some units immune to Battleshock - and even 15 witches packs a serious punch (that's like 60A with possible re-rolls of to hit and to wound rolls). 

I'd love to have a Crown of Woe on my Slaughter Queen but Amulet of Dark Fire is really amazing so far (and I haven't played against Changehost yet)

It needs to have units nearby Cauldron, but then you can use other units without those bonuses as glassy scalpel. But HaggNar gives tools to bunker on objectives with units or leaders and it's tough to do much against it. 

The thing a lot of people overlook when they look at DoK in terms of survivability is that everything in the army will, for at least the first 2 turns, be at least +1 save. Foot characters will usually be +2 on boards with good area terrain. Oracle Morathi and the Bloodwrack medusa seem a bit less of juicy when they're a 2+ and 3+ respectively. Hagg Narr is just the cherry on top.

Okay, so I’ve finally finished my exams which means it’s time to give my DoK some love at last! Based on what I have and what I could buy soon I’m tore between three lists:

Option 1:

Really like this one as I think it gives me a lot of options, with a medium infantry block (I dislike hordes), loads of support characters to take full advantage of our prayers and spells, Slaughter Queen Cauldron for beatstick purposes, loads of hearrenders to harass the opponent and Doomfires that can teleport thanks to shadow patrol to aim for the 6MW spell on turn one. Also would only need to buy 20 khinerai.

9E9FD8EA-E12F-444E-9C28-7E844EA8FB64.png.4e661984ae1268b8999b53180afa7205.png

Option 2:

Just like Option 1 but with the SoS split in two, 10 heartrenders less, Slaughter Troop instead of Shadow Patrol, exchange the medusa for a third Hag Queen and 5 doomfires less... Oh and Morathi :P. Would need to buy the Shadow Queen and 10 heartrenders, but it’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make... However I don’t know why the list feels less flexible overall, really liked having 10 teleporting doomfires and so many deep striking heartrenders I guess... 

12DB4304-FD28-4194-B6CD-078482BCA3BC.png.64b823d1824c797481555714053d57de.png

Option 3:

Because I wanted to toy around with a Khailebron list I guess... The idea would be to teleport a 30 SoS line first turn for board presence and the 10 blood sisters second turn for killiness, while everything else goes behind. Also lots of Doomfires because those are the models I have and I still think they’re an amazing unit. Would need to buy 10 blood sisters only for this one so the most economic, but probably the one I like the less...

1BF5FB8F-2ADD-40ED-A885-36DEAB7F5148.jpeg.bc61e5ab0c5f8164b847140de23bd42f.jpeg

Any opinion would be great, I’m really excited to get to work again on this project, so many ideas going around in my head! Also, do you think it’s viable to play with so few basic infantry models or should I definitely pull them up to 60? I really dislike playing hordes, but I guess 60 would still be acceptable-ish and I like a lot how the models look... 

I've been thinking about Khinerai Lifetakers a lot recently.  I think they have been prematurely dismissed as underpowered.   In a Shadowhammer Compact with Mindrazor on them, a unit of 10 could strike anywhere on the board with 20 rend 1 damage 2/3 attacks.  That's nothing to scoff at.  I also think that the Cauldron Guard battalion's benefits to a witch-heavy army will necessitate owning a couple of Lifetaker units.  +1 to run and charge rolls for a unit (witches) that can run and charge in the same turn is a critical mobility boost. 

17 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

I've been thinking about Khinerai Lifetakers a lot recently.  I don't think they have been prematurely dismissed as underpowered.   In a Shadowhammer Compact with Mindrazor on them, a unit of 10 could strike anywhere on the board with 20 rend 1 damage 2/3 attacks.  That's nothing to scoff at.  I also think that the Cauldron Guard battalion's benefits to a witch-heavy army will necessitate owning a couple of Lifetaker units.  +1 to run and charge rolls for a unit (witches) that can run and charge in the same turn is a critical mobility boost. 

With how cheap 20 are after the discount, I don't see any real reason not to max them out in shadowhammer compact, they'll be fast enough that getting all the attacks in should be a non-issue. Throw them downfield turn one, decimate something, move on. They get their points back killing a unit of skeletons or 2 units of judicators.

19 minutes ago, BURF1 said:

With how cheap 20 are after the discount, I don't see any real reason not to max them out in shadowhammer compact, they'll be fast enough that getting all the attacks in should be a non-issue. Throw them downfield turn one, decimate something, move on. They get their points back killing a unit of skeletons or 2 units of judicators.

It won't necessarily even be "decimate something," it could be decimate several things considering how large of a footprint 20 Lifetakers is.   Bubblewrapping against it will also be  difficult since they can fly over a flat conga line on a reasonable charge since they'll be 3" away from it.  It would be a prime target for Martyr's Sacrifice as it would create a situation where your opponent has to either waste their ranged firepower and spells removing a unit that is up in their face, or have another 10-ish mortals returned when they attack them in melee. 

This is getting more and more enticing (in no small part because I already have the Stormcast part of the battalion, so there's a low barrier to entry).

4 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

@Scythian slow clap.  You are assuredly the serpent King. 

Agreed.  So many Snakes in so little time!

Here are my Snakes thus far.  Really cool kit to build, although on this first kit the mould lines were especially bad.  Hopefully my next 3 boxes will be a little better.

Not much in the way of conversions thus far.  Just put an old Morathi head on my Bloodwrack Medusae and added a second blade to the halberd for my unit champion because I liked the look of it better.  The polearm hafts are just thick enough to put a paper clip into for pinning.

Medusai.jpg

3 minutes ago, DJMoose said:

Really cool kit to build, although on this first kit the mould lines were especially bad.

I just got done with a Cauldron that had atrocious mold lines.  Took me thrice as long to remove the mold lines as it did to de-sprue and glue it.

Archived