Need help 1k Free People/Empire list

nick331999

Hey guys my first time list building and buying models. I really like the empire and free people but I would like to know what's competitive before I go out there buying whatever I feel like. Here's the current list I was thinking about running with. I am currently just looking to build a 1k list to get into the game but that may be a subject to change.

Order:

Heroes:

Freeguild General (100)

Battleline: 

30 Handgunners (300)

10 Guards (80)

Units:

10 Guards (80)

5 Pistoliers (140)

Artillery:

Cannon (180)

Battalion:

State Troop Detachment (120)

1000/1000 points

The basic Idea: so it's my first list so I'm not quite sure what I'm doing but my basic Idea was to use my battalion and general bonuses in order to buff my handgunners to be total beasts. The cannon is there in case the enemy is trying to out range me staying away from the handgunners. The pistoliers are only there for the battalion but the mobility is probably very useful.

Alright so a few questions I have:

1. I was thinking of getting a Hurricanum would this unit be useful for a 1000pt army or not?

2. Is my battalion really that much of a bonus for me or would it be best to replace it with 2 Witch Hunters, maybe a warrior priest?

3. People say guards are a nice defense for a frontline but how about using Demigryph Knights?

Thank you very much guys I am really looking forward to some feedback

General mounted with a banner is a must have imo

i personally think crossbows would be better for the range plus 2 shots each @ 3 and 3 when buffed by your general

pistolers are junk currently which is sad

cannon is awesome but helstorm rocket batteries are better statically (3 x 4+ to would vs 2 x 4+, 3+ to wound vs 2+ on the cannon but potential for 3D6 damage which happens more than you think)

also i dont think that battalion is current anymore (happy to be corrected here)

your questions;

1- I plan on seeing how it goes when i build mine but its tonnes of points in 1000pts imo, im adding one for my 1500pts

2 - for 1000 pts 120 pts can buy you some more ranged units or boost your guard units up

3- they are pretty solid with a mystic shield making them 3+ save re-rolling 1's

Hope this helps!

In your list you have far too much Shooting.

Even with all that Shooting you will not be able to Take the rest of the enemy down only with the General an 20 Guarda. 

Aber Bataillon for 120 Points at 1000 Points is really much. 

Of you want to Take this Bataillon, you could take it with a Griffin  Lord, 2 Units of Guards, one unit of handgunners ans a unit of outriders. For the rest, Insert a Cannon and Dome cavalry, preferably Grail Knights, who are one of the best cavalry Units in the game.

Consider that Mobility will win you such an objektive based game. What use does a gunline have if you have to Take objectives on the other side of the table? 

Your Units need to have clear-cut Tasks. Who is Holding objectives? Who can snatch enemy objectives? What brings down tough Monsters and heroes? ( My benchmark for this question is Beastclaw Raiders) 

Your army needs a Solid damage Output ( in best case ranged and rend-2 or Mortal), chaff to delay enemy charges and hold objectives,Mobility and durability. 

I Hope I did not confuse you ans you know what to look for ;)

If you have any question, just ask ;)

Okay first of all thank you so much for your help it's really cool to see this game has a great community around it! One of the main reasons I was looking to build a ranged army was because my buddy gave me some handgunners to get a start and it seemed like incorporating them into my army would be a good way to save some bucks. 

But yeah I understand what you guys are saying here, even if this army was capable at winning fights warhammer is not just a straight forward fight it's also about the objectives. 

Taking away that battalion is definitely something I'm going to do allowing me to also get rid of those silly pistoliers.

So now with the 260 free points I get I'm going to get my general on a gryphon.

Order:

Heroes:

Freeguild General on Gryphon (300)

Battleline: 

30 Handgunners (300)

10 Guards (80)

Units:

10 Guards (80)

Artillery:

Cannon (180)

940/1000 points

Now that I'm at this point I think I'm still lacking good mobility and frontline tanks. I really like the Demigryph Knights (unit of 3 for 200 points) /and was wondering how you guys would reccomend to fit them in.  Take out the cannon? maybe replace the guards? or both for 2 units of knights?

Thanks again guys! Also just wondering where I can find any guides on list making. Finding it really hard to determine all the best synergies and I don't even really know where to start. Thanks guys!

^ Too much shooting? Do you even play freeguild? :P Generals command ability pick up to 3 units and give them +1 Hit & wound (no move no charge) That tells me i need 3 units of shooting as a min.

Read all your piper rules in your handgunners & crossbows (set up and deployment are key) mixed with counter charge from freeguild guard

i think you just need to be smart with where you put things and have enough bodies / shots (shoot them down and b/s more off and clean up with something)

It honestly depends who you will play most at your local store

7 hours ago, nick331999 said:

Now that I'm at this point I think I'm still lacking good mobility and frontline tanks. I really like the Demigryph Knights (unit of 3 for 200 points) /and was wondering how you guys would reccomend to fit them in.  Take out the cannon? maybe replace the guards? or both for 2 units of knights?

At the moment, Demigryph Knights are far too expensive for what they bring to the table. They're a bit tanky, but don't pack much of a punch.

If you want more tankiness, take more Freeguild Guard. 10 Greatswords will pack more of a punch. And if you want mobility, I suggest looking at Pistoliers or the Freeguild General on Griffon.

Other alternatives are to look to the Brettonians in compendium, or to look outside Free Peoples (As you get battleline anyway).

At the moment, Demigryph's just aren't a good choice. Hopefully they come down about 40 points in GHB2, as with the coming of Allegiance Abilities it might become more important to stick within your own faction to get cool and thematic abilities.

7 hours ago, Josh said:

^ Too much shooting? Do you even play freeguild? :P Generals command ability pick up to 3 units and give them +1 Hit & wound (no move no charge) That tells me i need 3 units of shooting as a min.

Read all your piper rules in your handgunners & crossbows (set up and deployment are key) mixed with counter charge from freeguild guard

i think you just need to be smart with where you put things and have enough bodies / shots (shoot them down and b/s more off and clean up with something)

It honestly depends who you will play most at your local store

It's important to not get too carried away with the shooting synergy and the pipers. You need to remember, that this game is one where your primary win condition is to contest objectives. A lot of the time, this involves needing to move outside your own territory to do so. Having a large portion of your army that doesn't really want to move in 1000 points can be an issue in some matchups.

So you do need to be careful about how much you invest into shooting, and what your game plan is for the scenarios you expect to play.

I think it comes down to your play style, I played a 1000pts tournament on the weekend and my handgunners took objectives as do my swordsmen (middle of the board etc) as well as shoot things off enough to battle shock them down and let outriders or swordsmen finish them off. I came 6th overall which i thought was good considering there were some really competitive armies brought.

I have seen a few very gunline armies do well (for what they are) in the competitive scene, sure they arent a teir 1 army but I recognise that what makes them special is their shooting & generals command ability linked with synergies from other units, which has always been the 'empire' way imo

Archived