Question About the Novels

I haven't read any, but I understand that the Josh Reynolds ones are pretty good and want to try some out.

Where does his run start? Is it a cycle he's writing or standalone titles? Do I need to have read any others or will fluff pieces from the various rulebooks be enough to get me by?

Thanks!

Oh man, much like my pile of unpainted minis, my tower of books to read is massive...

This is sort of why I was focusing on Josh Reynolds. Maybe going with one author can help me explore the books in a manageable (for me!) manner?

I think the novels that say Realmgate Wars should be read in order.  But the there are the Legends books that seem stand alone but with tie ins.  City of Secrets, Pestilence and the Sylvaneth one all end up seeing Stormcast or other things from the Realmgate novels or hardcovers but I don't think they are requirements.  Like in Pestilence one of the baddies was at the Glade of Horned Growths which is a battle in one of the early Realmgate hardcovers.  So it's cool having read that but has no other bearing on the story.  Stuff like that.

Hope that helps.

If you have some understanding of the world allready then go ahead and read City of Secrets.

JR's next book, Eight Lamentations - Spear of Shadows is coming out this fall. He suggest the short story Road of Blades is good to read before that. 

And I think there is another book in the Eight Lamentations series (if it's a serie) from another author.

https://www.google.se/amp/s/joshuamreynolds.wordpress.com/2016/12/04/road-of-blades/amp/

For the Aos novels, I think the ones that directly followed the realmgate wars suffered a little as a result. If you don't have the campaign books would read a summary online.

The books I would recommend are below.

The Skaven pestilense book by Josh Reynolds.(A surprisingly enjoyable book featuring Stormcast, Skaven and Seraphon.)

Fury of Gork by Josh Reynolds featuring  the same Stormcast as pestilens, Orruks and Tzeentch. Another fun read.

I have bought Plague Garden by Josh Reynolds but not read it yet. The buzz on this one seems pretty good.

City of Secrets by Nick Horth. A good standalone story featuring set in a city reminiscent of the old world. A very good read but rather short. I hope they do more with these characters in the future.

The audio book series by Josh Reynolds and David Gummer. Very enjoyable throughout, 

8 hours ago, Chikout said:

The books I would recommend are below.

The Skaven pestilense book by Josh Reynolds.(A surprisingly enjoyable book featuring Stormcast, Skaven and Seraphon.)

Fury of Gork by Josh Reynolds featuring  the same Stormcast as pestilens, Orruks and Tzeentch. Another fun read.

I have bought Plague Garden by Josh Reynolds but not read it yet. The buzz on this one seems pretty good.

These three sound perfect. Seems like they might be about the same Stormcast chamber, but that's ok. Is the PEstilense book the first one of this little set? Can I jump in on it and get my footing without having to go back and read 10 other books?

EDIT: Was there a physical release of 'Skaven Pestilens'? I can't seem to locate one? Also, is Fury of Gork part of that RealmGate series or is it stand alone enough I can get by?

19 minutes ago, Mr. White said:

These three sound perfect. Seems like they might be about the same Stormcast chamber, but that's ok. Is the PEstilense book the first one of this little set? Can I jump in on it and get my footing without having to go back and read 10 other books?

EDIT: Was there a physical release of 'Skaven Pestilens'? I can't seem to locate one? Also, is Fury of Gork part of that RealmGate series or is it stand alone enough I can get by?

Pestilens is part of the legends of age of sigmar series and did get a physical release.

The lead character in these books is first introduced in war storm as a supporting character but it is not necessary to read it as neither  of these books tie directly into the realmgate wars series.

Plague Garden is a direct follow up to earlier events so that might be more difficult to jump into.

The books I am most excited about are the upcoming eight lamentations books. They really sound like they will bring something new to the setting. 

+1 to City of Secrets. Quite nice story indeed.

However just finished Plague Garden and well... if you like yet another story about ever victorious Stormcasts, go for it. Don't get me wrong it is nicely written, but ending is so obvious.

1 hour ago, Brakh said:

+1 to City of Secrets. Quite nice story indeed.

However just finished Plague Garden and well... if you like yet another story about ever victorious Stormcasts, go for it. Don't get me wrong it is nicely written, but ending is so obvious.

The ending was glorious. You are trying to make it sound as it has something back but I honestly thing it's one of the better novels for the setting.

Top three

Call of Archaon, Chaos champions elevated to protagonists with their own ambitions and drivers beyond simply shouting Skulls or decay. Adds so much context to the setting.

City of Secrets as mentioned a lot above.

Fury of Gork, Orruks as protagonists this time with a really interesting glimpse into how their minds and culture works.

The second two on the list also in my opinion offer the best characterisation of Stormcast. In that they show the fear and awe they cause in the humans they protect and they are shown to be much more than simple killing machines.

Special mention to the Gemmell award winning Warbeast it isn't my personal favourite but a damn good read. Shows the disparity between different Stormhosts and how people have survived in the Realms during The Age of Chaos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

The ending was glorious. You are trying to make it sound as it has something back but I honestly thing it's one of the better novels for the setting.

Novel gave me pretty nice overview of the realm of Nurgle. Reallt liked all these places of interest encountered during the journey with stories behind them. Order of the Fly was a really blast for me. Completly different approach on the chaos forces that we know and love/hate. I really wish to see them in AoS someday.

Regarding the ending... Maybe I am getting too old and more demanding but...

<spoiler>

come on... Dozen of intruders flying into the very heart of the wasp nest, throwing insults and destroying everything on their way regardless thousands upon thousands of angry wasps around them. After what they just sh*t upon the wasp queen, mocked wasp god and left unharmed to their cozy home? Ridiculus...

My favorites so far have been:

- City of Secrets (my personal favorite)

- Call of Archaon (also been really enjoyable)

- The Hunt for Nagash (the parts with Manfred more so than the Stormcast parts)

- Call of Chaos (Quick Reads)

- Skaven Pestilens

I actually used the Black Library reading order page here:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/aos-reading-order.html

9 hours ago, Brakh said:

Novel gave me pretty nice overview of the realm of Nurgle. Reallt liked all these places of interest encountered during the journey with stories behind them. Order of the Fly was a really blast for me. Completly different approach on the chaos forces that we know and love/hate. I really wish to see them in AoS someday.

Regarding the ending... Maybe I am getting too old and more demanding but...

<spoiler>

come on... Dozen of intruders flying into the very heart of the wasp nest, throwing insults and destroying everything on their way regardless thousands upon thousands of angry wasps around them. After what they just sh*t upon the wasp queen, mocked wasp god and left unharmed to their cozy home? Ridiculus...

You missed Sigmar's quote, and the intent of that intrusion. Simply put, Plague Garden is

(SPOILER)

A power play on Sigmar's part. With that and the impromptu extraction, that he's likely to have done himself, he's made it clear that he can and will harm them and can get away with both him and his lackeys scott free. That, as the book states, the chaos gods should be afraid of him. Quite different from the GEOM, whose plan was basically to pull a galactic scale ostrich manneuver.

He's marking his territory.

(SPOILER'S END)

I've read all of them except City of secrets, Plaguegarden and Road of Blades.

My recommendations are as follows:

The Fyreslayers and Skaven Legends books are both great atmospheric reads that introduce you to the world of Age of Sigmar with a particular look at those factions.

Warbeast is the best book that follows a Stormcast hero.

The silver tower book is really exciting, particularly if you play the game!

The Call of Archaon is great for stories of chaos champions.

The silver tower book is really exciting, particularly if you play the game!

I entirely forgot to add in "Labyrinth of the Lost" by Andy Clarke!

It was an enjoyable quick read also! It kinda has some spoilers for the board game, but it is full of delicious Tzeentchery!

Archived