The Fall of Hollenstahl

"We're beset on all sides by the vile rat-people, the bellowing hordes of Chaos, and strange cold-blooded lizard creatures.

Our once glorious city is facing its most challenging times yet, but we will endure these hardships because if we don't then who will?

Hollenstahl may have fallen but the Great Watch has not!"

-Watch Captain Hans von Greijen

Private Rotschild, a son of a nobleman forced to join the Watch after the Great Invasion despite a life spent reading and studying, but showed surprising talent with a blade when push came to shove.

iRC0Cfch.jpg

41v5mQCh.jpg

a1VehRth.jpg

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

"Did you see what that ... thing, did to Aber? Green lightning, just straight from its claw. And is it flesh or metal? Or both? Our bolts just ... bounce off it. For the love of the gods, please sire, let us leave before it..."

- Private Fogel

Private Feuerkraut is the youngest of the troop, but by no means the weakest. His hardiness and hairpin trigger temper quickly earned him the respect (and sometimes wariness) of his peers.

kOCsJA6h.jpg

NSLint7h.jpg

lFq6oTEh.jpg

gkpK0aPl.jpg

Edited by Not-not-kenny
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, Davariel said:

Wonderful conversions full of character - loving the Mordheim-esque vibe to your work!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next :)

Thanks a lot :)

The Mordheim vibes are no coincidence, they were built with it in mind (hence the extra daggers). However, my gaming group eventually settled with Hinterlands.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

“Understand this: I do not trust the man, I trust his abilities. I grant him this position only because of the desperate times we’re in, and if we weren’t presently knee-deep in gryph ****** I would personally lead him out the main gate and tell him never to show his ugly mug in this town again. Be careful around him, my friend. 

-Watch Captain Hans von Greijen 

The experienced and mysterious sgt. Jaeger showed up in Hollenstahl mere days before the Great Invasion but any suspicions regarding his potential involvement anyone might have held were mostly alleviated when his marksmanship and natural leadership instincts proved invaluable to the City Watch. 

UOPLOo9.jpg

6heby93.jpg

ja6nfNW.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

“Whenever we have a respite from the assaults he just... sits there. The men try to get some sleep, food and live a semblance of their previous lives, but I don’t think the bronze giant ever had anything like what we would call a normal life. Not that I think he’d answer if we asked him.” 

-Sergeant Stahl 

The Great Invasion started out as a massive assault that would have razed the city in mere hours had it not been for the intervention of Sigmar’s Eternals: bronze-clad giants that fought with the strength and devotion of ten mortal men. But despite their prowess the initial assault was only halted thanks to a great sacrifice that killed the entire warrior chamber sent to Hollenstahl’s defence... except for one. This lone knight now protects the city and fights alongside the Watch against any enemy it faces. Behind the stoic, silent façade hides a soul racked with guilt for being the only one left behind and terrified of death and the mysterious reforging process that follows. 

75axK6k.jpg

4Txheid.jpg

jQfDAvx.jpg

• Like 4

On 4/23/2019 at 7:54 AM, Kramer said:

Nice work! Love the story combined with the choice of haggard looking head.

Thanks a bunch!

I've been on a bit of a roll lately so here's another member of the city watch:

“What I’m gonna do when this is all over? Well, I guess I’ll take the family out to a nice farm, somewhere by the river and tend to my animals, grow my crops, all that stuff you know... to be honest though I doubt any of us will get out of this alive, but don’t let the young’uns know I said that, they still have too much hope to lose.” 

-Private Jung 

Private Jung comes from a family that has lived in Hollenstahl for more generations than anyone can remember. He joined the Watch after his family business fell apart several years ago and had just earned enough to retire with enough geld to move to the quiet outskirts with his wife and children when the Great Invasion came and put a sudden end to everyone’s plans for the now highly uncertain future. 

z5bdaKh.jpg

P2gNKp6.jpg

2KudWpT.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Private Fogel abhors fighting and until the Great Invasion had managed to life a mostly peaceful life, but his finely honed hunting skills gave him a natural place in the Watch and despite his unwillingness he performs his duties alongside his more bloodthirsty brothers-in-arms.

pvKKh7i.jpg

yJo7GqH.jpg

jdYqfDZ.jpg

...And a group picture!

KZP1y0S.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

So with the imminent arrival of the Cities of Sigmar battletome my motivation has yet again been invigorated, and the other day I wrote up some fluff and started sketching on a map to flesh out my little area of the Mortal Realms:

Greenmont Peninsula 

Along the rimward edge of one of Ghur’s central continents, with shores to the Silent Serpent Sea, lies the Greenmont Peninsula. Named after the mountain range that splits the peninsula in half it is a verdant and surprisingly civilised land, less of a unified nation and more a loose alliance of city-states. Following the reconstruction during the Age of Sigmar the region saw internal strife as the more powerful of these cities and their rulers vied for power. After years of minor wars the city-states were forced into an alliance following an invasion of marauding orruk tribes. After successfully fighting back the threat the cities declared a (somewhat uneasy) peace and informally defer to the leadership of the aelven lords of Highward. This peace is now seeing the ultimate test as the Greenmont Peninsula is yet again under attack, this time from a more sinister foe and the sacking of Hollenstahl proved a rude awakening forcing the rulers of each city to choose between providing aid during the crisis or doubling up the defences and try to ride out the storm on their own.  

sxB1gis.jpg

Model-wise I've built a small unit of stormcast using a mix of vanguard kits to make a counts-as Steelheart's Champions:

xunozzT.jpg

• 1 year later...