Chaos Goretide army 2000 points

Yoozeg

Hi. I'm trying to get a competitive list of chaos based on khorne bloodbound going and I'm wondering about which battalions to choose. My idea atm is to get Skarbrand for kill potential and badassness, 2x warp lightning cannons to get some ranged damage and the Goretide battalion. The list would look like this:

Leaders

Skarbrand 400

Mighty Lord of Khorne 140

Bloodsecrator 120

Bloodsecrator 120

Exalted Deathbringer with Spear 80

Battleline

Blood Warriors x5 100

Blood Warriors x5 100

Blood Warriors x5 100

Blood Reavers x10 70

Artillery

Warp Lightning Cannon 180

Warp Lightning Cannon 180

Other

Skullreapers x5 140

Skullreapers x5 140

Warscroll Battalion 

Slaughterborn 80

Goretide 40

The idea behind it is that the list is mobile thanks to Goretide, as everything except Skarbrand and Cannons can move for d6 in hero phase. Also everything from Slaughterborn can charge in hp while they are within 12" of the general. So the army should be quick to spill some blood. I also took reavers to have some bodies for scoring points or screening.

What are your thoughts?

Warp Lightning cannons break your Khorne allegiance meaning no Blades of Khorne artifacts/abilities and no blood tithe. Seeing as you have two battalions you would be missing out on another two artifacts which would be a real shame. If you want a ranged threat why not go Skull Cannons? Same points cost and you would keep your Khorne allegiance. Their shooting can be unreliable (although so can the warp cannons) but they offer a melee threat as well- the trick is to keep them moving towards the enemy. This is not an artillery unit that you have to protect in backfield. In fact mine usually miss all game until they get in combat where the gnashing maw causes a wound and then they get to shoot at the end of the combat phase. Thats when they really shine!  Otherwise its a pretty solid list you have there!

7 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

(...) Seeing as you have two battalions you would be missing out on another two artifacts which would be a real shame. (...)

With Chaos allegiance I already have access to 1 guaranteed + 1/battalion artifacts, and I really want the Chaos talismans on Mighty Lord and on both Bloodsecrators. How would Khorne allegiance enable me to use 5? Also even if it enabled me another 2 artifacts I've got 4 heroes and Skarbrand. Skarbrand can't use artifacts ?

7 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

(...) If you want a ranged threat why not go Skull Cannons? Same points cost and you would keep your Khorne allegiance. Their shooting can be unreliable (although so can the warp cannons) but they offer a melee threat as well- the trick is to keep them moving towards the enemy. This is not an artillery unit that you have to protect in backfield. In fact mine usually miss all game until they get in combat where the gnashing maw causes a wound and then they get to shoot at the end of the combat phase. Thats when they really shine! (...)

Thats why I chose Warp Lightning Cannon. Statistically I get 1 guaranteed mortal wound no matter what. Because even if I roll a 6 on the cannon's power roll out of 6 dice for wounds 1 should be a 6. 

Also the cannon deals Mortal Wounds. Skull cannon is good but if I try hitting a 2+ rerollable save target it won't do much. It is better against units of many small models in my opinion though.

Anyways that's what I've thought. Looking forward to hearing more feedback. Thanks a lot!

Bit of a misunderstanding... with your 2 battalions you can have 3 artifacts from either chaos or khorne allegiance however there are far more & better choices if you use the Khorne allegiance artifacts. Instead of the Chaos Talisman,  the Mighty Lord could take the Berzerker Lord trait which does the same thing but better. For the Bloodsecrators consider The Crimson Plate, Blood Drinker,  The Blood Forged Armour or the Brazen Rune if magic is an issue- all of these help with survival. The exalted Deathbringer would also benefit from several of the artifacts available. Also blood tithe is much better than Unpredictable Destruction.

If you love warp cannons then by all means go for them however I'm not convinced that their potential mortal wound output is enough to offset Skull cannons & Khorne artifacts/abilities and blood tithe. Having faced them a few times I can assure that even 1 mortal wound isn't guaranteed although with two of them you are certainly bound to generate a few more often than not. However if you are worried about something with a 2+ re-rollable save then point Skarbrand at it and watch it disappear!

Ok. I think you might have a point with Skarbrand being the primary source of murder against beefy targets. However, I don't know which artifacts would work.

I thought of Violent Urgency on the general so that I can re-roll failed charge rolls and get to the melee quicker.

Regarding artifacts I thought about giving the spectators and the Mighty Lord the Crimson Plate. I considered taking the Blood Forged Armour but I think the Crimson plate will be a bit better since all 3 of the heroes have 3+ save. 

1 hour ago, Yoozeg said:

No, the warscroll states you need a mighty Lord of Khorne. Not specifically Khul. And he gains the 8" pile in ability then.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads/Korghos_Bloodsecrator_CB_Web - cropped.pdf

look khorgos khul warscroll

" If you take the goretide warscroll battalion, then khorgos khul MUST BE TAKEN instead of the mighty lord of khorne that normally leads the battalion "

50 minutes ago, ledha said:

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads/Korghos_Bloodsecrator_CB_Web - cropped.pdf

look khorgos khul warscroll

" If you take the goretide warscroll battalion, then khorgos khul MUST BE TAKEN instead of the mighty lord of khorne that normally leads the battalion "

It was changed in  a more recent one off the community website...

It's a mess I know

Okay, I'm not sure I understand this. 

Previously, Khul’s special ability Aqshy’s Bane required taking the entire Goretide Formation, but now he’s  a much more tempting prospect either when playing at lower points values or using a different selection of Warscroll Battalions. 

If I understand it correctly, what they mean is that I can pay 60 more points for a Mighty Lord of Khorne and make him Korghos Khul and have Aqshy's Bane. So that I can have that ability without having to use an entire Goretide.

But if I want the Goretide I don't have to spend 60 points additionally for Korghos and let my Goretide be led by a Mighty Lord of Khorne with Aqshy's Bane granted by the warscroll battalion?

Leaders

Skarbrand 400

Mighty Lord of Khorne 140 Crimson Plate, Violent Urgency

Bloodsecrator 120 Crimson Plate

Bloodsecrator 120 Crimson Plate

Exalted Deathbringer with Spear 80 

Battleline

Blood Warriors x5 100

Blood Warriors x5 100

Blood Warriors x5 100

Bloodreavers x10 70

Artillery

Skullcannon x2 360

Other

Skullreapers x5 140

Skullreapers x5 140

Warscroll Battalion 

Slaughterborn 80

Goretide 40

7 hours ago, Yoozeg said:

Okay, I'm not sure I understand this. 

If I understand it correctly, what they mean is that I can pay 60 more points for a Mighty Lord of Khorne and make him Korghos Khul and have Aqshy's Bane. So that I can have that ability without having to use an entire Goretide.

But if I want the Goretide I don't have to spend 60 points additionally for Korghos and let my Goretide be led by a Mighty Lord of Khorne with Aqshy's Bane granted by the warscroll battalion?

The latest version of the warscroll changes the wording slightly.  If you're fielding Khul (@200) and The Goretide battalion then he must lead it.  If you're not fielding Khul then you're free to use the generic mighty lord.

There's been a bit of feedback to GW about how running Khul and Goretide is pointless in matched play at the moment.

One thing that Khul's warscroll does add is that his reality splitting axe works in any phase rather than just the combat phase - which actually makes him much more dangerous with his hero phase attack (and also blood tithe).  However as a named character he won't be able to have an artefact or command trait.  What I've seen some people do is to run a different general (Lord on Juggernaut) as they can take these and due to an extra 3" movement, Slaughterborn may get into combat more quickly.

Archived