Tzaangor Fun

Slave2Chaos

Here's a Tzaangor based list I was contemplating to mess around with for some fun ...

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Ogroid Thaumaturge (160)
- General
- Trait: Boundless Mutation - Tzeentch Arcanite Hero
- Artefact: Paradoxical Shield  
- Lore of Fate: Treacherous Bond
Tzaangor Shaman (120)
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
- Lore of Fate: Shield of Fate
- Lore of Change: Bolt of Tzeentch
Tzaangor Shaman (120)
- Artefact: Favour of the Gods
- Lore of Fate: Glimpse the Future

Battleline
20 x Tzaangors (360)
20 x Tzaangors (360)
10 x Pink Horrors Of Tzeentch (140)

Units
3 x Tzaangor Skyfires (160)
3 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (160)

Battalions
Tzaangor Coven (40)
Tzaangor Coven (40)

Total: 1980/2000

I'm not sold on the gaunt summoner.... he's just too squishy. Old Blue (ogroid) Put 8 wounds on Skarbrand before dying.... not too shabby. I'm gonna stick with him for a few more games. There's a plethora of builds out there with these new Tzeentch models and battletome. I think it'll be a couple of weeks for me to try everything out. Lots of fun!

On March 12, 2017 at 7:14 PM, Slave2Chaos said:

Here's a Tzaangor based list I was contemplating to mess around with for some fun ...

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Ogroid Thaumaturge (160)
- General
- Trait: Boundless Mutation - Tzeentch Arcanite Hero
- Artefact: Paradoxical Shield  
- Lore of Fate: Treacherous Bond
Tzaangor Shaman (120)
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
- Lore of Fate: Shield of Fate
Tzaangor Shaman (120)
- Artefact: Favour of the Gods

Battleline
20 x Tzaangors (360)
20 x Tzaangors (360)

Units

Battalions
Tzaangor Coven (40)
Tzaangor Coven (40)

Total: 1980/2000

I have a similar list I've put together.  I'm looking at Tzaangor* list like this: 

Leaders
Tzaangor Shaman (120)
- Artefact: Wellspring of Arcane Might 
- Lore of Fate: Bolt of Tzeentch
Tzaangor Shaman (120)
- Artefact: Aspect of Tzeentch
Tzaangor Shaman (120) 
- Artefact: Aura of Mutability
- Lore of Fate: Fold Reality

Battleline
30 x Tzaangors (540)
- General
- Trait: Nexus of Fate 
10 x Chaos Warriors (180) [Converted with Tzaangor heads, weapons and shields]
- Lore of Change: Tzeentch's Firestorm

Units
9 x Tzaangor Skyfires (480)
3 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (160))
10 x Blue Horrors (50)

Battalions
Tzaangor Coven (40)
Arcanite Cabal (50)

Total: 2000/2000

The whole list is 4 or 5 drops (depending on if you hold the Blue Horrors for Reinforcement points).  This gives a really solid ranged threat (skyfires), 4 casters with 7 spells initially per round, an objective holding unit (Chaos Warriors), a chaffing unit(s) in the horrors, as well as major threat from the double-piling in Tzaangor deathstar. The Tzaangor leader spams battleshock immunity on the deathstar and one of the shamans sticks around to regen models to the Tzaangor heard.  I actually think this might be surprisingly competitive, although it would likely still struggle with some top tier lists.

6 hours ago, Bjarni St. said:

Yeah I think your weak point in Tzaangor armies is always going to be the disc(o) goats getting shot down. They just don't have the durability of Kurnoth or even Ork shooting. Definitely still playable though. 

I like folded reality to refill my disc(o) models if ur up for some risk. I was able to bring back my 6 enlightened unit to full strength twice a game (one time from 3 and the other time from 2 models), so you can gamble with them attacking 2nd, too.

4 hours ago, Goodwin said:

How are you guys seeing the Tzaangor coven work?

To me it seems like a waste of all of our mobility, trying to keep all our fast units near our Tzaangor.  Has it been worth this extra layer of tinkering?

You send the fast units in first, and then hit the Tzaangor in the turn afterwards.

The ability to run and charge make Tzaangor much quicker than you'd expect. Especially if facing off against an army that also pushes forward. 

Fold Reality is a great gamble of a spell. I find that if you intend to use it to replenish your skyfires than you'll need units of 6, as units of 3 are much easier to kill.

Also, its not always best to add Fold Reality to the shaman. Yes he is the obvious support character for the skyfires as he can actually keep pace with their movement but this alone makes him a high priority on your opponents kill list. Having fold reality on the shaman just makes him even more of a target.

Putting Fold Reality on a large unit of pinks not only makes it more difficult to remove as an option but gives you the opportunity to use it on other units more easily. The movement of the skyfires can usually take them out of harms way while still being able to provide fire support as they wait for a top off in the next hero phase.

You could use it on your LoC (can also keep up with the skyfires) but I find he works much better running as a ranged mortal wound dispenser or by buffing himself for more combat output.

@Thomas Lyons - noticed your list has your general listed as a Tzaangor model in your unit.  Thought I'd point out that in the DoT book it states that: "if they are a Hero, the general of a Tzeentch army can have a command trait from the appropriate list..."

This is different from the General's Handbook grand alliance traits which any model can take. 

On 3/13/2017 at 0:18 AM, redbeardboss said:

i think youre mixing up your items and allegiance abilities. isnt crown of conquest an item for a chaos army, then you wont get destiny dice

I am under the impression that even if you declare that the force is Tzeentch allegiance you can still pull artifacts from the generic Chaos tables. Did i miss something?

1 hour ago, Slave2Chaos said:

I am under the impression that even if you declare that the force is Tzeentch allegiance you can still pull artifacts from the generic Chaos tables. Did i miss something?

From the GHB:

"When your army qualifies for more than one allegiance - e.g. all of the units are ORDER and STORMCAST ETERNAL - you must choose which allegiance your army will use before each game."

then, under Artifacts of Order section of Allegiance Abilities: Order it further states:

"They can only be used by ORDER armies"

Try giving the ogroid the windthief chararm.  The look on your opponents face when suddenly you double your moment and gain flying to jump over scenery he thought was impassable to get at a unit he thought was safe is always fun.

Archived