Tactica - Retreat!

Criti

Following in line with Ben's topic about piling in, I thought I'd start a conservation about Retreating and its tactical uses in the game.

The "Get Out of the Way"

This one is pretty basic.  In the "Get Out of the Way," one unit is going to deliberately pull out of combat in order to make room for another unit.  Obvious uses would involve screening units running away so combat units can charge in, but this strategy can also be used to cycle units that gets charge bonuses, like knights with lances or units that get other charge bonuses (Skullcrushers, for example).  One unit of knights charges while other gets in a good position.  The turn after the charge, the first unit pulls out and the second unit charges in fresh, hopefully from some angle that makes piling in less effective for the enemy.  Then, if necessary, the second unit pulls out and the first comes back in.  This will effectively "recharge" the charge bonus and keep the enemy pinned in place.

The Pacifist

Pacifists don't like to fight.  And neither do the units involved in this strategy.  A durable screening unit (a large unit of Liberators, a horde of Zombies, whatever) steps up in front of an enemy that greatly outclasses them, spreading out to prevent the enemy from going around - but not charging.  Always stay more than 3" away.  The enemy will basically be forced to charge and will, of course, beat the everliving snot out of the screen.  Then, on your turn, the remaining models of the screen just refuse to fight.  That is to say, they pull back just out of 3" and try to form another wall that will be hard to walk around.

The end result is a roadblock that your opponent will have a hard time getting around.  The reason for falling back is reducing the number of times your opponent rolls dice against you.  If you pull out of combat, you "steal" a combat phase from the enemy heavy hitter, leaving more models alive to block.

The "Just Kidding"

The "Just Kidding" applies predominantly to flying models and is a little riskier than some other ploys.  The basic idea is to charge a durable flying model or unit into an enemy at an angle that will minimize pile in.  Then you weather a round of combat (2 if the turn roll goes against you).  Afterward, your flying model retreats OVER the enemy unit and a new unit of yours charges in to lock the enemy down.  Now, your flyer is behind enemy lines and can start going after the REAL targets - support characters in the back, war machines, etc.

This tactic can be made a little safer by charging in another unit alongside the flyer to minimize the number of models that can pile on the flyer.

Why try this one?  Free movement.  Moving 12, 14, or even 16" with a flyer is good... but moving that PLUS 2d6" on the charge gets you that much closer to your assassination target.

If anyone has some other uses for the Retreat rule, please post them here and let's discuss.

Regards,

- Chris

7 hours ago, Criti said:

The Pacifist

I have used this to great effect in objective based games against ogers. Not only do you road block but you keep more models alive to contest the objectives. 
With the added bit of fun that my opponent one time forgot my clanrats could charge but the first time just decided not to. Leaving his passing butcher wide open. It was to good an opportunity to misxD

I've had a little success using Marauder Horsemen ti perform a bit of a variation on the "just kidding" line to slip past screening troops to put pressure on objectives, particularly in take and hold matched play. It's a bit harder to manage as they can't fly over models but careful movement does make it possible 

Of course it's really called running away and is shamefully cowardly. 

I use Retreating a lot as Death, especially with Black Knights and Dire Wolves. They typically range ahead of the main force, hit the flank of an enemy, do some damage, then retreat to regen or reposition. Morghasts are good for the "just kidding" approach where they retreat over the enemy by flying, I quite like that one for hitting Buffy McLantern when playing against Stormcast.

Leap-frog

Ive used this extensively to get around the board.  A retreat doesn't have to be directly away from the unit.  So it's quite possible to retreat to reach a far end objective or Hero, or get away from something that's setup to come finish the unit off.  Effective because you can still run when doing a retreat.  Super effective with mobile units like Cav and Flyers.

** Possible Unintended Loophole **

The normal movement rule of being unable to move within 3" of an enemy unit doesn't seem to apply.  Just that you have to end your move more than 3" away.  While this makes sense in regards to the unit you're in contact with, it appears dirty when you skip through a gap in 2 of your opponents other units not in the CC.

16 hours ago, Sarkazim said:

Leap-frog

Ive used this extensively to get around the board.  A retreat doesn't have to be directly away from the unit.  So it's quite possible to retreat to reach a far end objective or Hero, or get away from something that's setup to come finish the unit off.  Effective because you can still run when doing a retreat.  Super effective with mobile units like Cav and Flyers.

** Possible Unintended Loophole **

The normal movement rule of being unable to move within 3" of an enemy unit doesn't seem to apply.  Just that you have to end your move more than 3" away.  While this makes sense in regards to the unit you're in contact with, it appears dirty when you skip through a gap in 2 of your opponents other units not in the CC.

Actually, ust having looked it up, the disengage rules specifically call out not ending within 3".

25 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

Actually, ust having looked it up, the disengage rules specifically call out not ending within 3".

Right — not ending, but by RAW you can pass within 3" of anyone, so long as you end more than 3" away.

This is different from normal movement, where you can't move within 3" at all, even if you end more than 3" away.

35 minutes ago, Squirrelmaster said:

Right — not ending, but by RAW you can pass within 3" of anyone, so long as you end more than 3" away.

This is different from normal movement, where you can't move within 3" at all, even if you end more than 3" away.

Ok, I misunderstood you. I never read it that way, but now that you said it, I think you have got the right reading.

That is interesting. Would be a rare case that this would matter, but might come in handy on occassion, nice catch!

The Ball and Chain/Bait and switch

Start out with a nice screen to be charged into. Then retreat the unit, but staying just at 3" while charging the other flank of the unit making it difficult or impossible for your opponent to pile in on you with out A reengaging your bait unit or B breaking coherency. Best way for squishy heroes to get into combat and come out alive.

On 12/24/2016 at 6:59 AM, mmimzie said:

Start out with a nice screen to be charged into. Then retreat the unit, but staying just at 3" while charging the other flank of the unit making it difficult or impossible for your opponent to pile in on you with out A reengaging your bait unit or B breaking coherency. Best way for squishy heroes to get into combat and come out alive.

Cant give anymore likes but wanted to say good suggestion :)

On 24/12/2016 at 5:59 AM, mmimzie said:

Not sure I see the point of retreating, here. If your opponent chooses to re-engage, you end up in the same position as if you'd just left the bait unit in place. All you achieve is to give your opponent a chance to choose to not re-engage if they think that works better.

The screen-and-flank combo works, I just don't see what retreating adds to the mix.

4 hours ago, Squirrelmaster said:

Not sure I see the point of retreating, here. If your opponent chooses to re-engage, you end up in the same position as if you'd just left the bait unit in place. All you achieve is to give your opponent a chance to choose to not re-engage if they think that works better.

The screen-and-flank combo works, I just don't see what retreating adds to the mix.

You gain more space for your fighting unit to charge and pile in, while your opponent propably won't get as many figures into combat with your screen if he chooses to pile in.

Archived